Literature?

Options
nevadjinn
nevadjinn Posts: 75 Member
I LOVE literature. Mostly Wilde, Proust, Austen, Fowles, Salinger, Vidal, Ursula Le Guin, Truman Capote, Machiavelli...You get the idea. Am I alone? Are there other calorie counters who appreciate a good read?

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Poe, Frost, and Bradbury myself.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm quite the little book worm myself. I don't read classics very often, though. There are so many interesting new books tempting me at the book store. I'll read pretty much everything but my favorite authors include Poppy Z. Brite, Bill Bryson, Alan Bradley and Jonathan Safran Foer.
  • Aereon
    Aereon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been reading all the Sherlock Holmes stories lately, ever since I watched the BBC show on Netflix.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me its all about the modernists.
    And also Theatre of the Absurd - writing my honours thesis on Arrabal
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I have a degree in English. I think that makes me certifiable. :laugh:

I have to say that I'm really not much of a fan of older English/British Lit, but some of the newer stuff is cool, like Zadie Smith's writing.

My focus was mostly on Black and African American Lit so my favorites are Toni Morrison, Zora Neale Hurston, Chinua Achebe, Jamaica Kincade, and Michelle Cliff.

I'm digging into some Salinger short stories these days.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else a David Foster-Wallace fan boy/girl?
    I drove my friends crazy talking about Infinite Jest for a good 12 months.
  • nymphis
    nymphis Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I enjoy reading some of the classics, however lately I have been attracted to fantasy books. I loved Joe Abercrombie and Feist.
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As an underemployed English major (go to school for something practical, kids) I have many favorite authors. My top several would have to be the Bronte sisters, H.P. Lovecraft, and Ray Bradbury. For any Bradbury fans, I can't recommend From The Dust Returned highly enough. It is evocative and beautifully written. Although I haven't read much else by Cormac McCarthy, I'm pretty sure that I'll never forget The Road. Give it a try if you want to spend the rest of the day alternately sobbing with despair and hiding in the closet in terror. Finally, a few newer authors that I adore are Walter Moers (crazy, imaginative fantasy), Neil Gaiman, and Terry Pratchett, although I have to say that Pratchett's more recent books lack the quality of his older ones, maybe due to his failing health.
    Thanks for this thread! I knew that a liberal arts education would be useful someday. :laugh:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    As an underemployed English major (go to school for something practical, kids) I have many favorite authors. My top several would have to be the Bronte sisters, H.P. Lovecraft, and Ray Bradbury. For any Bradbury fans, I can't recommend From The Dust Returned highly enough. It is evocative and beautifully written. Although I haven't read much else by Cormac McCarthy, I'm pretty sure that I'll never forget The Road. Give it a try if you want to spend the rest of the day alternately sobbing with despair and hiding in the closet in terror. Finally, a few newer authors that I adore are Walter Moers (crazy, imaginative fantasy), Neil Gaiman, and Terry Pratchett, although I have to say that Pratchett's more recent books lack the quality of his older ones, maybe due to his failing health.
    Thanks for this thread! I knew that a liberal arts education would be useful someday. :laugh:

Right? It makes us highly qualified to have coffee shop conversations and edit letters before they get sent out and the CEO looks like an idiot. But, mark my words, I will write something that will make it all worth it! I will! *shaking fist at sky*
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE reading! It's seriously what I would rather do than most anything else if I didn't care about fitness! I read a little bit of everything: Health and fitness and natural medicine magazines and books, inspirational, New Age, new fiction, classic literature, a little bit of sci-fi...!

Some favorite authors are Rob Bell; Andrew Weil, M.D.; Marianne Williamson; C.S. Lewis; Marisa de los Santos; Robert M. Pirsig; Orson Scott Card; J.R.R. Tolkien; T.S. Eliot; Madeleine L'Engle; Judy Blume...

I could go on and on and on! I am a true bookworm! And I'm working on making my kids that way just by example! My oldest loves to read (she is so amazing; I am so proud of her extreme intelligence!). My other daughter (3) loves to be read to and looks at books. My two boys...well, it's a little harder to keep them focused on a book! I hope that changes as they grow (they are 12 and 5). The younger one's father loves reading too so hopefully!
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Right? It makes us highly qualified to have coffee shop conversations and edit letters before they get sent out and the CEO looks like an idiot. But, mark my words, I will write something that will make it all worth it! I will! *shaking fist at sky*

I know. :ohwell: I feel blessed to have found a job that I love and that's in our field; the only problem is that it's part time. I certainly hope to read something of yours one day. Good luck and don't give up.