why is potassium so ignored?

Options
i am tracking my potassium intake because its vital to muscle health, especially those who are exercising. BUT, no one ever lists potassium content! I know its a little extra work, but my goodness, the nutritional value would be complete if everyone just put in the info. help!:noway:

Replies

• lbelle417
    lbelle417 Posts: 5
    Options
    Here's a good tip about potassium. It's mainly only found in significant quantities in fruits and vegetables.
  • rayemlls
    rayemlls Posts: 45
    Options
    I take extra potassium when I diet and work out because when I dont get enough in my diet my heart starts acting funny..
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Its because the FDA, in their infinite wisdom, has never set a reccomended daily allowance for potassium. Because of that, no one lists it on labels - and those that do go by a rough estimate of what the intake should be.

Basically, if you take in more potassium than sodium, studies have shown its likely to reduce hypertension, and all the other bad heart problems hypertension causes. Also its necessary for nervous function (nerve impulses work by making sodium and potassium change place in nerve fibers).

Its good stuff.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Oh, FDA....

Any fruits and veggies in particular?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    potatoes, bananas, tomatoes
  • vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    i am aware of the types of foods that its contained in, but it would good if it was ever listed. oh well, extra work for me!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to increase my K also. Beans are the best bang for you buck b/c you get a lot of fiber too (up to 1000mg/cup).
    Milk 400mg/cup and yogurt/260mg/cup have a lot (not greek though sad to say) and meats.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Just a note of caution, always be careful when taking mineral supplements. The best way to get the potassium needed is through diet, not supplements, UNLESS you've had a blood test and your doctor has advised you to take them. Potassium is a mineral that makes up your electrolytes, and you don't want to go messing with that balance. That said, no I don't know how much is too much, and I'm not in the medical industry, but I have been given a very stern lecture by my doctor when he found out I was taking extra mineral supplements, including potassium.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Just a note of caution, always be careful when taking mineral supplements. The best way to get the potassium needed is through diet, not supplements, UNLESS you've had a blood test and your doctor has advised you to take them. Potassium is a mineral that makes up your electrolytes, and you don't want to go messing with that balance. That said, no I don't know how much is too much, and I'm not in the medical industry, but I have been given a very stern lecture by my doctor when he found out I was taking extra mineral supplements, including potassium.

Totally agreed...I ended up having to call off work for three days because I was taking a potassium supplement that caused chest pains, rapid heart rate, and other symptoms similar to a heart attack...I had to have an EKG and an oxygen test...definitely not fun...
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

This is very true, however the average American eats an overabundance of sodium compared to potassium in their diet - look at anything you eat that is prepared. A can of lentil soup can contain 1600mg of sodium (just an example). However those who eat a diet closer to what we would eat naturally... beans, meats, fruits, veggies, have a much, much closer ratio of sodium to potassium. So for those who eat a lot of processed foods, I don't think potassium will hurt. As always, you should consult a physician.