Spaghetti Squash

Options
hjy319
hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
I have never tried one of these and I bought one, so what is the best way to cook it and good uses for it??? Thanks

Replies

• fitnessgal1318
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash and will eat it as an alternative to pasta, adding some tomato sauce and parm, it is really yum but can be a pain to prepare. I cut the squash in half, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 10-15 min until tender. When it's done you just scoop out the insides and it will shred quite easily into long strands. You can also boil it for about 30 min (until tender) or bake it for an 1 to 1-1/2 hours ( too time consuming for me). Enjoy!
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I bake it for maybe 2 hours then cut in half and shred the insides with a fork.....it comes out looking like spaghetti. I prepare either turkey meatballs or just ground beef, add spaghetti sauce and yummy....It's delicious :)
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i'm new to spaghetti squash as well, but over the summer i got creative with it. I'd post a link to my blog here with the recipe but i feel that's awful self promotion, so here's the recipe instead:

Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Sausage

1 Whole spaghetti squash, medium
    1 package/4 links Aidells Apple and Smoked chicken sausage (Flavor of your choice, really. I love the apple ones so the nutrition facts below are based on those)
    1 medium yellow onion
    2 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil (or cooking oil of your choice)
    1/2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
    ___
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Cut squash in half, length-wise. Remove seeds and unnecessary other guts. Season with your favorite spices (I used pepper).
    Place face down in a non-stick pan, if you do not have a non-stick pan, spray with pam or oil the pan with EVOO.
    Place in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes. Check at 30minutes. You will know when the squash is done by taking a fork to it and scraping at the inside. When the squash comes away from the skin easily and looks like a bunch of pasta or strings, it's done. (Mine took 38 minutes last night)

While squash is baking, mince garlic and chop onion into small pieces. Do not mince the onion, you want pieces.
    Heat a tall pan or sauce pan and EVOO on medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Stir often to keep from sticking and burning. Cook until onion is translucent.
    Slice sausages to your desired size. I cut mine into thin disks. Add to onions and garlic. If you used fully cooked sausages (aidells) heat through. If you used non-pre-cooked, cook until done.
    If the sausage mixture is done before the squash, cover and turn heat to low.
    Once squash is done, scrape squash into the sausage mixture pan. (If you know how to reduce the moisture of the spaghetti squash, please let me know... without adding sodium, it's salty enough as it is with the sausage)
    Mix together all ingredients until hot.
    Top with parmesan cheese if you'd like (I did).
    Consume and Enjoy!
    ___

(but if you're interesting, my blog is www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/horror_hamster -- just in case you want some of the other recipes i create) :)
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had this for dinner last night and it was good.
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html

The squash is prepared ahead of time. I leave mine whole but prick it all over with a knife so that the hot air can escape as it cooks. Then I bake it at 375 in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes. After it cools, scrape out the strands with a fork. This usually results in cooked but slightly firm strands that are similar in texture to al dente spaghetti noodles.
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite spaghetti squash recipe EVER. Tastes kinda like lasagna.

BAKED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH BEEF AND VEGETABLES

(I modify a bit by using Italian chicken sausage instead of the ground beef and reducing the amount of cheese. I also cook the squash in the microwave to save time.)

Ingredients

1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    1/4 cup diced red onion
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place squash on a baking sheet, and bake 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, cool, and shred pulp with a fork. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a casserole dish. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until evenly brown. Drain, and mix in the green pepper, red pepper, red onion, and garlic. Continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Mix the shredded squash and tomatoes into the skillet, and season with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Remove skillet from heat, and mix in 2 cups cheese until melted. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and continue baking 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.

Makes 6 servings: Calories: 399 | Total Fat: 26.4g | Cholesterol: 100mg
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    These all sound great!! Thanks guys, I will try them out!
  • lisarawski
    lisarawski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Roast that puppy at 375-400 for 1 hr and 20 minutes--prick it with a fork first and throw it on a cookie sheet.
    Once it has cooked, take it out of the oven and cool it down until it's easy enough to slice lengthwise.
    Have at it with a fork--pull it apart and you will see spaghetti right before your very eyes!

I love to fry up some garlic, shallots, a little olive oil, and some fresh rosemary and thyme and then add the cooked spaghetti squash in there! One cup is about 108 calories and it's a great snack! Throw a little Laughing Cow French Onion wedge in there and it's incredibly good!!!
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love spaghetti squash.

I have had it in place of pasta under a shrimp stir fry, but my all-time favorite way to prepare it is as a casserole. Here's the link to the recipe and cooking directions: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-with-jalapeo-cream-10000001842378/

Hope you enjoy! :)
  • FitKate
    FitKate Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Every time I cook spaghetti squash it turns to mush! help I'm using a microwave. I currently don't have an oven. Mine is broken :(
  • Crazynurseblack
    Crazynurseblack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just had this for dinner tonight. Yummy! This is how I make mine. Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pulp with a spoon, like you would a pumpkin. Place both halves in a baking pan, rind side up, in about an inch of water. Bake 40 mins in a 375 degree oven. Let it cool on a plate for a few mins. When its cool enough to handle, separate the strands by running a fork lengthwise through the inside (top to bottom). I had mine with a grilled chicken breast & homemade marinara poured over the top. So good! Last week I made it with sauted broccoli, onion, garlic & oil. Also good. Im glad you asked. I am enjoying everyone elses recipes since spaghetti squash is new to me.
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My husband was making spaghetti squash pasta this evening and for lunch he sprinkled some on homemade Turkey spinach filled egg wraps and Alfredo sauce.
  • Crazynurseblack
    Crazynurseblack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Microwave for 8-10 mins per half in a glass baking dish in an inch of water. That should do it.