c25k sucess?

Options
I started my couch to 5 k yesterday. I am really wondering if I will really be running for 30 mins in 9 weeks??? I'm hopeful. I want to register for an actual 5k in April.I only walked today and tomorrow is day 2. I am using an app I downloaded on my phone. I would love to hear if anyone else has had sucess with this. Thanks!

Replies

• cagerrish
    cagerrish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K Lite on Monday and have done it every night so far. I would love to be in a 5k but I already find myself bored and dont think I will finish:(
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started C25k 6 weeks ago. 2 more weeks to go!!! whoohoo! I went from never running....EVER! to running 20 minutes straight. So trust me, stick with it and you too will be a runner in a matter of weeks. Never feel bad about repeating a day or week. Some say no, to continue the program as is, however, when I felt that a day was not at MY expectation, I repeated it. Actually, I repeated week 4. So go at your pace and do it!
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i got about 6 weeks into c25k before i got derailed by training for a 150 mile bike ride and i was jogging for the full 20 minutes at that point. i was definitely not running, but i was able to do the distance recommended in the time allotted! i really think i'm going to try it again soon. intervals are the only way i can do anything resembling running haha
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program 8 weeks ago and I am already running for 30+ minutes per day! It is totally possible! It took me two tries to get through the entire program, but before that, I had never run a single day in my life. Today, I completely ran 5K (not a race, the distance). I am amazed at how well the program worked when I stuck to it!

My advice:
    - Do not focus on speed. Focus on pacing yourself so you are able complete the runs.
    - Breathe! Try to keep your breathing as steady as possible rather than let it get ragged and out of control.
    - Focus on only the day's running times. Not the next session or the next week's required runs. (I let W5D3 intimidate me WAY too much.)
    - Repeat days or weeks as necessary to build your endurance.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I started Monday as well! Feel free to add me! I also use the phone app with Pandora cardio station and was very surprised I haven't gotten bored or overwhelmed (my history of workout plans!) I don't have a scheduled 5k yet because I am pretty sure I'm going to repeat week 1 again!
  • mstankowski
    mstankowski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I really do think I can do this!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Did C25K in the fall of 2010, finished in 10 calendar weeks due to having to recover from an ankle sprain from playing soccer right before week 9. I ran my first 5K on the first Saturday of December 2010, my first 5 miler in May 2011, my first 10K in Oct. 2011 and my first half marathon in Dec. 2011...it works! I've scheduled my first full marathon for March 4 of this year.
    In case you are wondering about weight and fitness, I wasn't much of a runner except for high school football over 20 years ago where I had to run sprints and I began C25K about 50 pounds heavier than I am now.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I started on Thursday and completed W1D2 yesterday. I never thought I'd enjoy running (if what I've been doing can be classed as running :tongue: ) but I do!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck for ages but my fitness level was really rubbish! I love running and I have been doing wk3.1 instead of just moving on to week 4 so that I can build it up! At the end of the day you don't need to rush it! Do it at your own pace and if you are running a lot but not the whole 5k by April then run as much as you can and walk the rest! Noone will think less of you! Just keep going and you will get there!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I finished it in 18 weeks instead of 9 and I'm glad I extended it. I did most weeks in 2 week increments and it worked out great, no pressure, I wasn't doing it for anyone but myself. I had a 5K a month after finishing it, and walked about 1/3 of it because it was trail and I wasn't completely ready for the terrain. I have no regrets about walking part of it.

You can definitely do it, but you don't need to put pressure on yourself to get it done in only 9 weeks. Extend it if you have to! I'm up to being able to run about 45 minutes at my normal pace.

If you find yourself into week 4 or 5 and you're thinking about quitting because it's too hard, consider just bumping your run speed down 1mph and seeing how you do with it, I bet it makes it a lot easier.

Also, don't do it every day, do it every other day with maybe a light weight routine on the other days, or some upper body conditioning. You'll do awesome!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine wrote me an elongated version as I really struggled to run one minute, a year later and 5k is an easy recovery run, im now training for 10ks and a halk marathon, stick with it and dont worry bout repeating weeks it'll really pay off plus the calorie burn is great 30 mins slowish run = around 400 cals for me, makes the weightloss really achieveable
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I started on Thursday and completed W1D2 yesterday. I never thought I'd enjoy running (if what I've been doing can be classed as running :tongue: ) but I do!

Dr. George Sheehan, a running expert, is quoted to have said "the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank".

Anyway, Jogging and running, differ from walking in that between forward steps, both feet are not firmly planted and/or rear toes, are not in contact with the ground when the forward-moving step comes in contact with the ground. IE, in jogging/running, both feet are OFF the ground and the runner is airborne for the split second between steps. Walking, fitness-walking and race-walking, are classified by always having part of one foot always on the ground...There is a funny episode of Malcolm in the Middle where the father becomes a race-walker and they get in a fight about whether it is really jogging...

Just to get technical. :)
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I've got a week to go before I complete the programme but I was a total novice. Yesterday I ran on the treadmill for 33 minutes :smile: