I think im doomed :(

Options

Replies

• SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    It is tough to make any life changing desion !

I quit smoking on the 3rd July 2011 and I have not had a *kitten* since not even a puff, there are sometimes where I do think ooo *kitten* like in drinking environments etc !

I honestly believe you need to focus on 1 thing at a time, but I quit smoking un aided and totally with my own will power if you want it that bad you will do it in your own time. The thing that made my mind up is I couldnt breath ( I have asthma anyway) I couldnt walk 15 mins to my corner shop without puffing panting and having 2 *kitten* in between.

But when I quit smoking I did crave choco and crisps more for comfort and normality more than anything when I did quit I felt healthier from the start and I started looking after myself in more ways than one however I did also gain 15-20lbs but so what overall my body is healthier in many ways it once wasnt and now I am making a change to my weight

Its the best choice you will ever make but make sure you want to quit for sure xx

You will do it good luck xxx
  • mollyrathpalatine
    Options
    I think you can do it, i did it with very little effort.
    Definately quit smoking. It's healthier to be a fat non smoker that be a thin smoker!!!!! It' s a disgustig habit.
    You need to be definite about quitting smoking, if you are, you will do it successfully, otherwise you are wasting your time.
    Think of all the money you will be able to spend on other things and how proud you'll be.
    Pick a day and just quit, I found patches a great help for about 3 weeks to stop cravings, keep yourself very busy, exercise lots and drink water and use gum, all to distract you in the beginning.You won't put on weight if you don't start eating crap. eat lots of fruit instead.
    You will be so proud that you've done it. Best of luck.
    I haven't smoked for over a year now, i used to smoke approx 600euros per month, crazy, that would nearly pay a motrgage.
    Just do it..... You can
  • LRD308
    LRD308 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 25 yrs so I know its tough. The one thing that I found that worked for me was the e-cigs. Make sure you find a brand that has a variety of nicotine levels, so you can do a step down process. I used the ones that you had to recharge the e-cig via usb port. Three months later I'm completely off of them and I feel great.

Good Luck!
  • avesoriano
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess youre all right. Smoking should be my priority.

I felt sad after finishing my diary today. Im not obese. Im not even overweight. My BMI is. 23-24. Im getting close to being overweight and i dont like it. Im used to being petite. After hitting 30, metabolism just really started to slow down. You might say that im in the panic mode. I just have to get control i told myself

I could see how well you guys are in your diet. I feel so shy because the bulk of my diet is carbohydrates. I just cant resist that 1 peice of oatmeal cookie. Ive been drinking 2 liters of water already. ITS SO HARD!

Towards dinner instead of getting another bite of chicken or fish i would feel like skipping it already. "OMG im over 300 cal!!"

Baby steps... Baby steps... Baby steps i think this should be my mantra
  • I actually just quit smoking myself and it's been pretty hard. Although I get cravings here and there whenever I get them I think of a healthier me and I usually get them at the gym (how weird?) and when it hits me I just work myself even harder and I drink a lot of water too. Its the whole "hand to mouth" action that satisfy me ya know?
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I finally quit (after 10-12 years of smoking?) it was for running. I knew I couldn't commit to the kind of running I wanted to do if I continued to smoke. Plus, cigarettes in Chicago cost, like, $10 a pack.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I did both the same day. Usually when people gain a few pounds when quitting smoking it is because they snack excessively just to have something in their mouth. Logging food, exercising, and being very strict WHILE quitting prevented that. I went a complete 180 in my life all in the same day and it worked perfect for me.
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am doing the opposite of what most of the posters said. i am a smoker and have cut back but not quit. I am focused on getting the bulk of the weight off first so I can accomplish one goal at a time. Quitting would add stress and a lot of down days that would mess with my focus. Once I get close to my goal (almost halfway there) I will then quit smoking. so the weight gain expected can be dealt with more easily at a lower weight.
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    Congrats. I smoked for over 15 years and what helped me was having snacks in the house that were healthy, filling, and easily accessible when a craving hit. For me it was celery and carrot sticks. I found i would need to prep them as soon as i came in from the grocery store so there was no excuse. Also, clementines when they are in season........

So, concentrate on quitting smoking as that poses more health risks then the possibility of over eating after quitting...... Good luck, its hard and you will most likely have set backs, but nothing comes easy (ok, cliches are done!!!!)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 8 years ago and it was motivated by fear lol. I'd been walking for a couple of months and eating a little better and decided to start jogging. It hurt the breathe for 3 days and that was the last time I smoked. One thing I would suggest is to not tell anyone in your life that you're quitting for at least a week or two. Otherwise, anytime you're the slightest bit cranky or whatever they'll make a big deal about you trying to quit and if you have a relapse they'll be all over you for it. Get through the first bit before you let anyone know. Good luck!
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I quit a long time ago but I remember always having gum and twizzlers around. Also when I went out for drinks, I carried a pack of clove cigarettes since they barely contain any nicotene...I couldn't get to sucked in. When the craving gets really bad do some jumping jacks or something to take the edge off...just keep going whatever you do, it's worth it!
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in September, by November I had gained 30lb and gone up by 4 dress sizes, which is a huge amount to put on in such a short space of time. Which is why I am here! Give up smoking first, monitor everything you eat on here and if you gain weight dont worry about it, concentrate on the smoking thing first and then tackle the weight a couple of months after quitting smoking. I had strong nicotine patches, the strongest ones, I used those for 2 months whilst I was cutting down, then woke up one day and went cold turkey! No patches, no cigarettes.First day I got hot sweats and hallucinations but I really nailed it and Im sure you can too. I wasnt in the right mind set to lose weight until at least 3 months after I had quit smoking.

I swapped an addiction for cigarettes for an addiction for chocolate and was eating way too much. Eventually it twigged that I was eating for emotional reasons and going through life swapping one addiction for another. Ive been following this for just a couple of weeks and already Ive lost about 5lb (havent logged it yet!). You really can do this.
  • paloma1182
    paloma1182 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hery love,

I did the same thing!! I quit smoking at the same time that i started my diet- it was tough but its well worth it. I was using those electronic cigarettes in the begining a little bit- that helped. Just becareful you dont get addicted to those too hahah they are really easy to get addicted to!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My friend craft338 has been here over 350 days and she has also quit smoking in the process of controlling her food as well. My dad lost 50# and quit smoking real fast after his 1st heart attack...... don't wait.
  • magrls28724
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. For me, I am trying to lose some weight first since I know that will make me feel better. I really don't have a lot of noticeable effects from smoking like a cough, shortness of breath or wheeziness (and I have smoked almost 30 years), but the weight does bother me. I figure once I get the weight off, I'll try the other. I really think trying to change too much, too fast is a program for failure. Small steps...

Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    try chantix? I don't smoke, but maybe this is good, it allows you to still smoke while slowly reducing cravings
  • rburkey
    Options
    All of these suggestions seem valid. All I can add is my own experience. I quit in 1980, after smoking for 20 years. For years I had used the excuse that I would gain weight if I quit. I finally decided it was better to be a little fat than a little dead. So, for the first few years, if I got the urge for a cigarette, I would have a bag of chips or some other snack. Yes, I gained weight, but I quit successfully.

Last June, I asked my doctor to put me on a diet, and he put me on 1500 calories a day. It was tough until I found the myfitnesspal ap for my iphone. So far, I've lost 60 lbs.

I can't say this will work for everyone, but it worked for me, and I feel better than I've felt in years.

Quit smoking NOW! Worry about the weight when you feel better about being smoke-free. One of the problems is that food will taste so much better as your taste buds heal from the years of smoke abuse, that good food is really hard to resist. Just relax and do it. You can handle it. The fact that you are concerned about this in the first place means that you are motivated to start.

Good luck to you!

-Ralphie

PS: as you can see from my little picture, I'm an actor. That was a shot from a local theater production of "Miracle on 34th Street". Guess which part I played! (I was 280 then...200 this morning!)
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about doing both at once!!! You are able to "redirect" the twitchiness from the withdraw's and make the craving into something new. If for a day or 2 you focus real hard on doing some type of workout every time you have an urge, that will become your new cig. So personally I say workout for enough days that you get past the initial muscle shock of starting a new program and then do both at once. I started smoking when I was 14, and quit last year. Luckily i am past all the bad from quiting, and I know how bad the addiction is. Simply saying that you should quit now does you a dis-service. It doesn't take into account all the pitfalls or difficulty. It's going to suck any way you do it, but I found that having something to replace it with makes a world of difference. If you're able to keep the discipline to quit smoking, the discipline to loose weight will be an after-thought by comparison. Work hard, and DON'T hesitate to ask for help. Prefferebly from someone that's been there, they are the only ones who really understand.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I started mfp early Dec 2011 and lost 10 lbs so far...I smoke...I want to start exercising,but was afraid to start because I can't catch my breath after ANY amount of activity. I wanted to quit but kept putting if off...I joined a gym to make myself quit. Today is quit day, tomorrow is first gym day. I can do this, I will do this, because I AM WOMAN :laugh:
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking first .... but continue to log your food and exercise and learn while you stop smoking.