Smoothie recipes

Options
kdrew11
kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
I've decided for my new year's resolution to have a Smoothie for breakfast every morning. I have been making one with frozen mixed berries a banana and orange juice. It's lovely! Has anyone got any other Smoothie recipes that are cheap, easy and boisterous metabolism?

Thanks

Replies

• TRACYW2002
    TRACYW2002 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    :smile: I like using coconut milk, strawberries, raspberries with splenda:smile: Yummy
  • kdrew11
    Options
    Mmm I like the sound of coconut milk. How much do you use per pint of Smoothie amd how many calories in it?
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I usually put some yogurt, a banana, and whatever I have lying around. Tossing in a TBSP of ground (must be ground, not whole) flax seed will give you a good omega-3 boost. You can also try "green" smoothies by adding a cup or so of baby spinach. I will warn you it will smell like lawn clippings, but with raspberries or strawberries in there you can't even taste it!

Just be wary about getting all of your fruit from smoothies. The process of blending does actually remove some of the fiber content (by interrupting the structure of the fruit). Don't want to have all sugar, and no fiber!

But I do love smoothies.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies and add kale, spinach or collards to many of my smoothies.

Libby's pumpkin puree (the one in the can that you see around the holidays), banana, a little milk, cinnamon, vanilla and ice - maybe a little honey to sweeten.

Chocolate, peanut butter and banana makes a great shake-like smoothie. (I use half water, half milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, a banana, 1 or 2 TBSP peanut butter, a little honey and ice - sometimes I make it green, sometimes I don't.

I'm going to try a strawberry cheesecake smoothie today after my walk. Basically a strawberry smoothie with a serving size of fat free or low fat cream cheese blended in. Haven't tried it before, but if anyone out there has, please post how you made it.

Papaya and canteloupe= YUMMY.

So many delicious fruit (and fruit/veggie) combinations. Experiment.

I also add ground flax and chia seeds for the healthy omega oils and BIG boost of fiber.
  • emmajane_2288
    emmajane_2288 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Snap! this is my new years resolution too, however I havent actually made 1 yet :( Im starting next week and getting the ingredients tomorrow.

So far i have thought of the following recipes:

frozen berries
    banana
    low fat yoghurt or apple juice

strawberries,
    half a banana
    25g of oats
    1tsbsp of honey
    150ml natural yoghurt.

I need more ideas! I dont like many exotic fruits.. and I hate bananas but a friend told me that you cant taste the banana with all the berries mixed in.

I suppose you could throw anything in there, just need to experiment to find the right one for you.
  • kdrew11
    Options
    Thanks people! Some great ideas. Just gone and bought wheatgerm, flaxseeed, pumpkin and sunflower seeds (ground) to stick in my Smoothies. Want to get healthy as well as lose weight. I just stuck a tablespoon in and you can barely notice it apart fro the texture. :)
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Protein Banana Spinach Shake

Ingredients:
    • 1 ripe banana
    • designer whey protein powder (vanilla)
    • 1/2 cup baby spinach
    • 1/4-1/2 cup water
    • 1 cup ice

Preparation:
    Blend until desired consistency.

Nutrition:
    Calories 205, fat 2 (saturated fat 1), cholesterol 60, sodium 98, potassium 550, carbs 34, fiber 4, sugar 21, protein 20. 

Tastes like a real milk shake! I had it for breakfast and I thought it should have been a dessert! This portion is A LOT so you may want to modify, I don't know, but it's super super filling! Also satisfies a sweet tooth!
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    So far my smoothies are pretty basic - but for any smoothie I start with 8 ounces of water, and end with a bunch of ice:

This one really any kind of fruits will do.
    Vanilla flavored protein powder
    Banana (about 50g)
    Strawberries (about 50g)
    Blueberries (about 50g)
    Baby Spinach Leaves (25g)
    Flax seeds (2T) - I actually use the whole seed - got a little chew action going on with each spoonful of smoothie LOL!

Vanilla flavored protein powder
    Banana (Whole, medium)
    Peanut Butter (2T)
    Cocoa Powder (1T)

I don't keep both chocolate and vanilla protein powders... I figured if I wanted chocolate flavor I just add in the cocoa powder.

Those are my two favorites. I use TONS of ice so it's more like soft serve ice cream and I eat it with a spoon... still out of my "smoothie cup" because it's insulated.