Really need help!!!

Options
So I'm finding veryyy difficult to afford healthy, fresh, organic food. I can barely afford frozen food and pre-packaged garbage let alone fresh meat and produce! Does anyone have tips for buying healthy food cheap? I don't have any local food markets to go to and the only stores are Hyvee and Wal-Mart. The free food pantries in my town are a joke (expired food and what not) and refuse to go. I really need help so any tips on how other middle-low income families afford healthy/fresh food would be great!!!
Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Do they have a local grown program in your area? I forget what they are called, but I know the local farmers in my area sell HUGE portions of their product. It is WAY too much for one person, so if you can find people to split with that is best (and is what makes it cheap). Granted, you have to take whatever they grow/give you and it isn't always stuff you've heard of/tried, but it is a great option if it is available to you. My friend does it :)
  • eclecticwingtips
    eclecticwingtips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Frozen doesnt equal crap necessarily.

Frozen vegies are just as healthy as fresh, and in many places more so as they are snap frozen at the time of picking, instead of being sold 'fresh' in the shops weeks later.

Also buying fresh fruit and vegies in season will help reduce the costs. I tend to eat whatever fruit and vegies are on special for the week. So ill buy enough pears to last a week if they are on special then change to apples next week when they come on special etc.

Also tinned fruit and vegies are ok. They are not as good as frozen (so go the frozen route if you can).

As for meat you can make it go further by cutting it up into small pieces. Soups, stews, stirfries with vegies etc. I got 1 kg of chicken breast this week for $7. I chopped it up and stuck it onto bamboo sticks with onions, capsicum and pumpkin (all of these were on special). It made me 20 kebabs. Thats 10 serves (i have 2 per meal). Serve that with a big plate of frozen vegies and you have a cheap meal for around $1.50
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/questions/how-can-i-get-produce-for-cheap

I would also recommend splitting the cost of bulk with a friend. You each get a portion and pay less! :D
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out Aldi. This is a great supermarket for people on a tight budget. I've found that I can get milk at $1.00+/gallon cheaper here than anywhere. Eggs are similarly inexpensive. They have a decent produce and meat selection too. They mostly sell off-brands, but I've found most of the food to be great tasting. I really cannot recommend Aldi enough! :smile:

I did a quickie search and there are 5 stores in your area:

ALDI Peoria, IL
    210 South Western
    Peoria, IL 61605

ALDI East Peoria, IL
    250 South Main Street
    East Peoria, IL 61611

ALDI Peoria, IL
    3116 N. Sterling Avenue
    Peoria, IL 61604

ALDI Peoria, IL
    603 E. War Memorial Drive
    Peoria, IL 61614

ALDI Peoria, IL
    9129 Allen Road
    Peoria, IL 61615
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Do you actually live in Peoria?
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Definitely check out Aldi. This is a great supermarket for people on a tight budget. I've found that I can get milk at $1.00+/gallon cheaper here than anywhere. Eggs are similarly inexpensive. They have a decent produce and meat selection too. They mostly sell off-brands, but I've found most of the food to be great tasting. I really cannot recommend Aldi enough! :smile:

I did a quickie search and there are 5 stores in your area:

ALDI Peoria, IL
    210 South Western
    Peoria, IL 61605

ALDI East Peoria, IL
    250 South Main Street
    East Peoria, IL 61611

ALDI Peoria, IL
    3116 N. Sterling Avenue
    Peoria, IL 61604

ALDI Peoria, IL
    603 E. War Memorial Drive
    Peoria, IL 61614

ALDI Peoria, IL
    9129 Allen Road
    Peoria, IL 61615

I second Aldis!! It is so much cheaper and their quality is excellent (or at least the one in my area) Their quality is better then our supermarket.
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Do you actually live in Peoria?

No, I'm about 30-45 mins from Peoria. We have an Aldi though and we went there as a kid and I remember the quality being a little low but it's been years so I'll def try it and see whats changed!
    Thanks so much!!
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dont dismiss "out of date" food either. The bad boys here are the supermarkets and stores.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1024879/The-best-challenge---One-man-boldly-goes-use-dates-food.html

Whilst this is a UK example the stores put dates on food so you throw it out and BUY more food!!
    I regularly eat food beyond the best before date - not dead yet!
    I am currently drinking tea from bags that expired in 2008 (ok dont try that with eggs or cheese!) but seriously - short date food is a great way of cutting your grocery bill, and freeze it on the day of purchase and depending on the foodstuff it will keep for a month!

Good luck - oh and YEAH we :heart: Aldi here too!
    T xx
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Eating less meat can cut costs - you don't need it with every meal.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    While buying fresh and organic can seem expensive, look at the costs as an investment in your health for the future. If you cut out the chips and soda and foods like that, the costs can be very comparable. Ad shop, use coupons, etc.
    Kaye
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I asked if you live in Peoria because I grew up there. Yay! There are tons and tons of grocery stores and markets there - if you could make the drive once a week, you could get some good deals on fruits and veggies. Especially once farmers markets start. I'll ask my family and see if I can find a place for you to get organic things at good prices. I keep hoping you guys get a Trader Joe's someday - then you'd be set. :) Good luck!
  • hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I asked if you live in Peoria because I grew up there. Yay! There are tons and tons of grocery stores and markets there - if you could make the drive once a week, you could get some good deals on fruits and veggies. Especially once farmers markets start. I'll ask my family and see if I can find a place for you to get organic things at good prices. I keep hoping you guys get a Trader Joe's someday - then you'd be set. :) Good luck!

Sadly I can't make the drive. I have to drive an hour in the other direction twice a week for school and the gas cost is killing me already :frown: I might try to find some in that area though..