Eating Chinese "out" today - - HELP!

Options
Any suggestions on what / how to order when I eat out this evening? I've looked up "chinese food" and everything has alot of calories.... I do know the general rules - to skip the white rice, to dish up "a serving" and bring home the rest, to skip the MSG. I'm thinking that chicken or shrimp and vegetables, stir fried, with sauce on the side will be my best bet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When I order Chinese my staple is usually steamed mixed veggies with Brown Rice and Tofu! You cant go wrong with steamed!

Steph
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with Chinese food is the HIGH sodium content.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just read this in Women's Health. It said either moo goo gai pan or shrimp and broccoli
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    If they have a 'spa' section pick from that...usually in that area all veggies are steamed and have no sauces.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    whatever kind of meat- make sure it isn't breaded.
    spicy/savory sauces generally have fewer calories than sweet sugary ones.
    steamed rice has fewer calories than any of the noodle dishes.
    skip the fortune cookie
    something loaded with veggies will be yummy and make you feel full for less calories than something loaded with meat.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well, here's what I do:

Beef & Broccoli (enjoy the beef & the broccoli, leave the gravy).
    White rice.
    Veggie egg roll - eat the filling & pitch the wrapper.

Our local chinese place is a buffet with way excellent salad stuff, and I feast on that and nibble the rest. Agree with Singfree about the sodium.
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    Steamed veggies and tofu are your best options. When we eat Chinese I treat myself to steamed dumplings, but always share them.
    If I know I'm going out to eat, I make sure to budget my calories for the day, then watch my portions.
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    grilled chicken or beef...no gravy or other sauce....veggies, and brown rice! Eat slowely to make it count!
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions - all are greatly appreciated! I had forgotten about eating out, and I only have 475 calories left for the day - *before* any exercise, so I guess we all know that I'll be adding some extra cardio later. Great motivation. Thanks again. oh - our chinese place here does not offer brown rice - crazy.
  • weasleman42
    weasleman42 Posts: 90
    Options
    I had Vegetable Soup and Veggie Eggrolls today. Good luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    most places will have a steamed option and you could just dip a little maybe in sweet and sour - it's not as fattening as the other sauces....

I will get steamed veggies and splurge and get sweet and sour chicken - just limit my portion of the meat to one cup.

Chicken lettuce wraps aren't too bad
  • angguad0406
    angguad0406 Posts: 11
    Options
    I ate chinese today and I had beef and brocclii and sweet and sour chicken (fried rice)...I felt so bad after I ate it (didn't even eat it all)...I got really full quick cause I drank alot of water. I also get nervous to eat out.