any advice?

Options
Every Sunday all of my sisters, brothers, their kids, my mom and dad and I get together and cook a huge dinner and sit around and catch up. Food is everywhere, drinks are everywhere and everyone is having a great time. All of the grandkids are playing, the adults are socializing but there is food and beer all over the place. If I don't have a beer, somebody will say something- "what's wrong?". Truth be told, I love to have a few beers with my sisters, it's fun. But the beer leads to ridiculous eating. All of my sisters are STICK skinny without trying at all. I am the moose of the family and it sucks. None of them say anything but I saw the way my super skinny sister looked at me the other week and it killed me. It was if I disgusted her, she played it off well. The killer to it all is that I'm not obese or anything, just a little fluffy. I'm 5'3 and 129.4 lbs kinda a fire plug I guess. Any advice? :drinker:

Replies

• Jalachri
    Options
    Im also 5'3 and 129. I have found that if I do good all week then I can eat and pig out on anything all day Sunday and I stay the same. Its my free day and I dont hold back! I have to give myself a day like that or I fall big time the whole week but if I know I have that one day then I can do good all week. Good luck and hope that heps :)
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Low calorie beer....there are a couple out there around 70 calories and they still taste great!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    When I heard that 2 alcoholic drinks affects your fat burning ability by 73%, that was enough to stop me from drinking in excess. If I drink at all, I limit myself to one. I know that's a hard situation to be in with all that food and alcohol, but you're stronger than that, right?! You could just have one and take your time drinking it. The fact that you understand alcohol leads you to eat more than normal is a step in the right direction.
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 155....I'd give everything to be 129! Theres nothing moose like about your weight! Indulge once a week! It's not going to kill you.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Get a good workout in before you go. It's ok to have a few beers, just have a glass of water in between each one and that may keep you from overindulging.

As far as your sister - that is her problem, not yours. You are working hard and making changes so don't worry so much about what others think (easier said then done I know), plus you don't know what she's thinking - it's your perception and maybe you are secretly judging yourself and putting it on her. Are you happy with your progress, if so that's all that matters.
  • JJNette76
    Options
    You could bring that Michelob Ultra beer that's only 95 calories to the gathering. It doesn't taste that bad actually and still allows you to have a few beers with your sisters without all the calories.
  • MrsSYDL
    MrsSYDL Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5'2 and 129 AIN'T moose like and I never want you to think of yourself that way again! You have a goal in mind and I think you should make the decisions that are best for you. Drink one and drink it slowly. Workout and save the calories for a little extra on Sunday.

Have tried having a conversation with them asking them to support you through this?
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know that with regards to most of the rest of the world I'm not the moose I see myself to be. I just feel like one because my sisters are so skinny literally without much effort. My one sister is 5'5" and 105 lbs after 3 kids and she works full-time! She only works out 3 times a week and is just absolutely toned and beautiful. My other 2 sisters aren't too far off of that and all have had children and work full-time. The sister I'm closest to is built more like me (but 15 lbs less) she doesn't watch what she drinks. She can guzzle anything and it doesn't affect her and she's 8 years older! I'm making her sound like a drunk, LOL!!! I guess what I'm saying is that she doesn't have to count or think about what she's consuming.

I don't know. I love having our gathering but I have to figure a way to avoid overeating. The beers I can count and I like many lite beers so I don't think that is as much of a problem as the eating. The alcohol is an appetite stimulant though. I think I'm more worried about the food calling my name! Can somebody build me some blinders like on a horse? LOL! Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm a numbers person, so I will look at every food item and mentally calculate how much I have left, or budgetted for the get together and then it's hard to justify going way over. Maybe today you can eat to your maintenance weight, but I wouldn't suggest going over. But looking at a pig in a blanket and knowing it's 100 calories, to me helps.

Good luck!
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The alcohol is an appetite stimulant though. I think I'm more worried about the food calling my name!

1) Bring something you are ok with eating... Fruit (grapes? love the red seedless!), Make a low-fat dip with a fat free yogurt base and lots of vegie sticks (don't forget things like snow peas, jicama and even some fruit slices like apple), or I'm really into almost any flavor hummus and vegie sticks (stick to the 50 calories per 2 Tablespoon serving choices).
    2) Don't sit near the high calorie snacks that you are going to feel guilty about later. If you have a little, you will have to deliberately cross the room to get it, not just mindlessly munch on it.
    3) Weather permitting, see if anyone wants to take a little walk with you in the afternoon. Just getting away from the food and drink for 20 or 30 minutes and getting a little exercise will encourage you to make good choices.