my new gym routine. what do you think?

Options
A buddy of mine sent me a gym routine, im gonna give it a shot as my new routine starting tomorrow. I had to alter it a bit because our gyms have different equipment...but here it is.

3 sets of 10-12 reps/set

Monday - Chest:
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Fly
Standing Cable Crossover

Tuesday - Arms&Abs
Alternating Dumbbell Curl
Reverse Triceps Extension
Standing Barbell Curl
Rope Push-Down
EZ-Bar Preacher Curl
Dip
Weighted Ab Machine
Decline Sit Up

Wednesday- Back
Lat Pull Down
Seated Row
Dumbbell Row
Deadlift

Thursday - Legs
Seated Leg Extension
Squats
Machine Leg Press
Walking Lunge
Seated Hamstring Curl
Calf Raises

Friday - Shoulders
Shoulder Press
Rear Cable Fly
Dumbbell Front Raise
Dumbbell Side Raise
Seated Dumbbell Military Press
Shrugs

with cardio on every day but "Legs" day.

thoughts/suggestions?

Replies

• mlke4258
    Options
    This is your typical body building workout. What are your fitness goals? What is your current status? Like I said, if your looking to build on muscle, this is a suitable workout. I am trying to cut weight now, so I can build up once the fat is significantly reduced. I do mostly all cardio now and aerobic ab workouts. One Excercise that is the mother of all excercises in my opinion is Squats. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body, when you work em, work em good! Great afterburn from your legs...
  • PhilG311
    Options
    This is your typical body building workout. What are your fitness goals? What is your current status? Like I said, if your looking to build on muscle, this is a suitable workout. I am trying to cut weight now, so I can build up once the fat is significantly reduced. I do mostly all cardio now and aerobic ab workouts. One Excercise that is the mother of all excercises in my opinion is Squats. Your legs are the biggest muscles in your body, when you work em, work em good! Great afterburn from your legs...

Current status is about 290

trying to just lose fat/tone muscle.

Ideally I'd like to lose about 60 lbs.

actual amount of pounds lost doesn't concearn me, i just want to lose this gut and tone/build muscle.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    A buddy of mine sent me a gym routine, im gonna give it a shot as my new routine starting tomorrow. I had to alter it a bit because our gyms have different equipment...but here it is.

3 sets of 10-12 reps/set

Monday - Chest:
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Incline Dumbbell Fly
    Standing Cable Crossover
    Crossovers a pretty useless to the beginner. You're better off doing dips.
    Tuesday - Arms&Abs
    Alternating Dumbbell Curl
    Reverse Triceps Extension
    Standing Barbell Curl
    Rope Push-Down
    EZ-Bar Preacher Curl
    Dip
    Weighted Ab Machine
    Decline Sit Up
    Dump the weighted ab machine and learn how to do crunches correctly on the floor.
    Wednesday- Back
    Lat Pull Down
    Seated Row
    Dumbbell Row
    Deadlift
    Switch the pulldown with pull ups
    Thursday - Legs
    Seated Leg Extension
    Squats
    Machine Leg Press
    Walking Lunge
    Seated Hamstring Curl
    Calf Raises
    Lying hamstring curls are a better choice here IMO, but do stiff legged deadlifts to add some flexibility.
    Friday - Shoulders
    Shoulder Press
    Rear Cable Fly
    Dumbbell Front Raise
    Dumbbell Side Raise
    Seated Dumbbell Military Press
    Shrugs

with cardio on every day but "Legs" day.

thoughts/suggestions?
    This sounds like a basic body building program, so as a beginner it may be more than you need your first week. Personally I would just have you do a full body program 3 times a week to start and mostly just compound movements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Like has previously been mentioned, this is more of a body building type workout. Since your ultimate goal isn't necessarily weight loss but fat loss and muscle building, then this will work. As for the specific exercises, I'd make sure you are doing the compound movements first and the isolation movements at the end of the workout so that you don't wear out the individual muscles before you need them for stabilization on the compound movements. Also, I'd add Lat Pullovers to the back day and move the deadlifts to the leg day. You will see people who do deadlifts on back day, but they are actually a leg exercise. The people who are feeling them in their back are doing them wrong.