Gym workouts

Options
Hello everyone,

It seems like workout videos are the popular choice for a lot of members on this site. How many of you are still sticking with a gym workout these days?

L :)

Replies

• BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    I'm all about gym workouts! The gym I go to has an indoor track upstairs, and a cardio room and weight training room downstairs. I never get bored this way.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Gym..3-4 times a week. Its about what works for you. Gym gets me out of the house, interaction with others.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

It seems like workout videos are the popular choice for a lot of members on this site. How many of you are still sticking with a gym workout these days?
    I stick to it like glue and change everything up every 2 weeks.

In general I do 90 minutes of cardio with 30 minutes of resistance 6 days a week.

I rest resistance Tuesday and cardio every 10 days or so.
    My resistance is lower weights but high reps, then heavy every 3rd workout.

And I split my body into 3 muscle groups:
    1. Legs
    2. Chest- triceps - shoulders
    3. Arms - back

I do a lot of weird things for cardio like military march, boxing type training,
    dancing, floor rolls, squat thrust intervals and the good ole jumping jack.
    And I jog, swim, play tennis, fast walk and bike.

Lost 64lbs and nearly 20% body fat - it works for me.

Diet
    It was a hard leap for me as well, but after my first initial 30 lbs, I stalled, then did what any disciplined and determined person would. I starved myself. And that worked too for a season, but I was losing lean body mass too much.

Long short? I increased calories to almost 3000 to account for my activity level, exercises and other variables, and I thought NO WAY! I was eating less than half that....

Out of the 65 lb total weight loss, half of that resulted from a higher calorie diet but slightly restricted with enough of a deficit to reflect a 1lb weekly weight loss.

It worked!

And today I have a mere 10 lbs to go, eating around 3000 daily [except on rest days], losing 1 lb each week like clockwork.
    If your input is right, all will be well.

Good Luck!
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym rat but I <3 the gym!
  • westmountgirl
    westmountgirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a all about the gym workout too. I like the options the ( my) gym offers me, (i.e. treadmill, elliptical, bike, free weights and machines, plus some "free" classes if I so choose). It helps keep the boredom at bay. When the weather is more co-operative I do enjoy to get outside to run, as it frees my mind and I get to listen to the birds and other outdoor sounds instead of my Ipod! Our family membership runs about $50 a month - I can't think of anywhere else I can get this kind of return on the investment in good health!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't own any videos. It's all gym and outdoor running for me.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i would love to but just can not afford it!!! lol :blushing:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3x per week for heavy weight-lifting workouts. Then I do cardio workouts (DVDs) at home on non-lifting days.
  • ashleighk90
    ashleighk90 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have both videos and a gym membership. I used the videos to get myself into the habit of exercising, but I found myself getting bored with them, and slacking off. Getting off my butt to get down to the gym is definitely a kick-start & motivation for me.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    I am definately a gym rat but I also workout at home, or in the park. I like the energy in the gym - expiremnt with going at different times, then look back and note when you had the best workouts, sometimes the energy of others working hard can help you push harder as well. If you go consistently eneough youll have gym buddies, which makes it fun to show up because people are expecting to see you, and when you dont show they ask you why.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love my gym workouts... Monday, Tues, Thurs and Sun Zumba, Saturday Ujam and Tues and Friday Kickboxing class. Weight training 3 times a week. I use my home workout videos and games when I can't make it to gym.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm a budding triathlete, and you'd think all i have to do to get stronger is to run, bike, and swim. however, the more i read, the more i realize that all athletes need to hit the gym and do weights to get better and work on their weaknesses.

there is a new Subway commercial with Micheal Phelps. It is shown that in the first half of his training day he does all kinds of weights and cross training. after lunch he (finally) hits the pool.

right now i'm trying to hit the gym 2-3 times a week for strength training to work on my weaknesses. come march, it'll probably just be twice a week because i'll be doing so much cardio.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I don't own any videos. It's all gym and outdoor running for me.
    That's what I'm talking about!
    I also started cycling as well. I named my bike Fred and he is my new favorite workout partner!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i do my cardio outdoors when i can - running and biking
    and do all my strength training at the gym.
    i'm not a big fan of workout videos, except insanity,and even that i tend to do at the gym!
    with 5 little guys, the only way i am ensured an uninterrupted workout is if it's out of my house!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The gym is my preference for sure! On days that I don't go I always try to do an at home workout; a hike, a DVD or an activity I enjoy. At the gym I do a lot of different classes and strength training. Thinking of getting a stationary bike to ride at home when I watch TV or a movie too.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i dont think i could ever use a video for exercise. its just to boring for me. maybe once to learn something but thats it. i prefer weight lifting and for cardio things like treadmill or some tennis/basketball.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input!

I started using videos when I was living back at home, but realized that I got bored of them quickly, didn't have the space, and I was jumping up and down on floor beams that are well over 60 years old.

My condo has a gym, a rather tiny gym, but a gym nonetheless. My workouts are going to be generally free weight based, because there is only one "bowflex-like" machine available.

I also like the fact I can listen to my own music instead of trying to follow a workout video and listen to the music they play in the background lol!

Have a happy workout everyone!

L :)