Sit Up alternative?

Hi guys

I need some help. I have a back problem which makes any sort of exercise on my back extremely painful. My tail bone basically got messed up and it digs into the floor. I tried to do some of the 30 day shred and ended up having to skip the sit ups coz it hurt my back too much. Woke up this morning and it's all bruised!

Is there an alternative I can do which doesn't require laying on my back?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Planks and side planks.

You can also sit on the edge of a chair and raise your legs.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I need some advice on this as well please so any more tips ???
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Get the Hip Hop abs dvd it has tons of options for abs in the standing up position or the Tracey Anderson method on youtube. She has standing ab routines.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Hip Hop Abs. Most of the ab work is all done standing up with the "tilt, tuck, tighten" method. I hate floor work, so I really liked these DVDs. :D

Other than that, planks are great for your abs. Of course, I hate them LOL. I only do them because Jillian makes me... However, my bf does planks in front of the TV for a very short period and not much else and his abs are quite firm!
  • I'm fairly new to this and over 300 lbs and also have some back problems (ruptured disk many years ago). My trainer showed me one she thought I would hate but I actually like it and it's not hard on my back but really works on the core and helps with my balance. You start out sitting on the edge of the ball - proper posture with feet and knees aligned in front of you and then slowly walk your feet out so only your head and neck are resting on the ball and your mid-section is a plank....then walk it back up only using your stomach muscles to get you back in a sitting position.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    If you're able to, and have a pullup bar, do hanging leg raises...eventually moving to a toes-to-bar. Awesome core combined with grip strength...
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Hi guys

I need some help. I have a back problem which makes any sort of exercise on my back extremely painful. My tail bone basically got messed up and it digs into the floor. I tried to do some of the 30 day shred and ended up having to skip the sit ups coz it hurt my back too much. Woke up this morning and it's all bruised!

Is there an alternative I can do which doesn't require laying on my back?

Do hip hop abs. It's all standing with Shawn t tilt tight and tuck, it's a great and fun workout! I have it and have done it and my friend also has and lost a ton of weight with it. Message me and I can tell you were you can buy it for a really great deal
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    I'm all for the Hip Hop Abs. The tilt, tuck, and tighten feels good. I pretend I am some kind of pole dancer when I am doing the moves. i could never do them in front of anyone else.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Planks.
    Zumba.
    Running in good form.
  • kjcc12
    kjcc12 Posts: 1
    You could do abs on an excercise ball. It would work your abs while also working on stability. Also when you do planks you could put your feet up on the ball and pull your knees in while planking. It is definitely a great way to get strong abs and core.