Learning to run

Options
Can anyone recommend good 'go from walking to running' help for beginners? I don't have an iphone, have mp3 player. Will probably be doing on treadmill. Trying to read Chi Running but I think I need something to listen to that will guide me.
I'm currently doing fast walk ~ 4mph with very short intervals of jogging but have issues with breathing and probably form.
Seems to be a mind game mostly!
thanks!

Replies

• streetnamejim
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml has a good schedule to use at the bottom of the page.

I have an old iPhone and you might be able to use. I'm not sure if there is an app for that program or not, but I ended up getting the www.runkeeper.com app and just manually building the C25K program into it because it would tell me when to change (so I didn't have to pay attention to that part of the process). I think that would be the best plan of attack. Let me know if you want to use one... they are prior generation phones, but they work fine as iPod Touch type things.

Lemme know.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    what i did was just do intervals. it will be hard since running demands a lot from the body, but if you do short intervals you can survive. and over time u lengthen the run interval and shorten the walk interval.

i started with 5minute sets, so i would run 1 min, walk 4. repeat. usually for 30min on the tredmil.
    then a week later id do 2min run, walk 3.

and you keep going until you can last longer. but dont ever be ashamed if you need to walk. you need to let your body improve and your endurance improve. so start small and run longer only when you feel you can handle it.
  • nodone
    nodone Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hiya new to running and have started just recently and have a huge problem dont know if anyone can help me fix it! I finished my warmup walk, run for 1 min walk for 1 min etc about 15 minutes in my throat closed up and i couldnt breathe and felt like my throat had been scratched or burned. It was like when you have a panic attack the throat just shrinks and no air can get inside. I live in England UK and weather here is really cold at the moment. Has anyone any ideas what i can do. because i had enough energy to carry on but its a tad difficult when you cant even breathe!!!
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    I think the C25K is fantastic! Have used it myself and know many, many others who have been successful, even if they have never run a step in their adult lives.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think I may be a bit hung up on the definition of walk, jog, and run in terms of MPH. The C25K seems do-able but doesn't define walk, brisk walk, and run. I'm assuming just start out slow then build up? Or always use the same speeds (treadmill for now).

Also SNJ, might take you up on the i-device if I get started and find I'm not able to keep track of time.