My 1st week!

Options
So far in my first week I have lost two whole pounds! I am super proud of myself thus far.. It has been really super hard to over come all my bad eating habits. All these yummy foods just keep calling my name.. I did slip one.. But everyone makes a mistake once in a while. I got right back on track the next day! My next thing I need to tackle is my exercising habits.. I HAVE NONE! I have the need to but not the want to! I think I am more afraid of what people are going to think of me once I go into the gym more than I am of actually exercising.. I know that they can care less that I am there! I am sure they do not even notice me but something deep down inside tells me they do and it kinda just makes me not want to go... How does one over come this silly fear? How does one change the way their brain work? I have changed my eating habits I just need my brain to click over and say hey dummy WHO CARES!

Help! :noway:

Replies

• buttons2455
    Options
    well done hun thats great ive just joined this site. But ive used the weightloss resourses site before which is just the same as this. But u have to pay for that one. i cant wait to get back into it lol so good luck and carry on the good work hun :)
  • Davemann
    Options
    Forget the Gym and just walk ..... I gave myself a target of 100 miles in Jan which is just over three miles a day. Not too difficult as I do some at lunchtime and some in the evening. Get a walkmeter if you can and log the times on here. I lost 6 pounds on my first week (just finished) but either way it gives you enough calories back to have a glass of wine at the end of the week. Hope this helps
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well I carried all 290 of my pounds (at the time) into the YMCA and took up acquatics in a bathing suit no less. This is a journey about where I'm going and not where I've been. So what if someone snickers or gives you a look. Just wait, one of these days those snickers will turn into wolf whistles. I've been here 3 months and down 35 pounds. Still got a long way to go but surround yourself with great friends and you will find this to be an adventure to enjoy! Everyone celebrates the pounds you've lost and also there for when you are having a bad day. Friends that are honest and willing to help you in the right direction are everywhere on here.

Feel free to add me if you like. But know I am honest and I do ask questions about people's food diaries and such. I try to touch base every day unless something major is going on with me.

Anyways you've come to the right place. Join the journey of your lifetime and remember it is life changes, not a diet.

Also, grab a friend to walk with you or to the gym. It makes it so much easier and you are accountable to someone else that way too!
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your first week. It is a tough journey, but you can do it! It gets easier as the time passes.
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would say try not to let people at the gym bother you or make you not want to work out. I used to always feel like that when it came to weight lifting but I decided to stop letting that be a factor. You need to just try to focus on you when you are at the gym and trying to make all that weight you don't want to come off.

I know you can achieve all of your goals you just need to set your mind to and it will happen.
  • ShontellHarrell
    ShontellHarrell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had been playing those very same words over & over in my head, before I started the gym. And I didn't even have a workout buddy that would boost my confidence. I just ignored the voice, embraced the fear & stepped into the gym alone, that nagging fear didn't leave me until a month later, but I constantly forced myself in there heavy and all. Now of course it's second nature, I feel as if I belong there, even though I'm still overweight. So bite the proverbial bullet & go for it!! You might start to feel comfortable way before I did. Now I feel like a true member and have made a few friends along the way :)
  • raven23uk
    raven23uk Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first week and lost 3lb and I just did walking. I am ready to up it and go to the gym
  • ginapeterb
    Options
    Overcoming the fear of going into the gym with all those who appear to be super fit, is to confront the things we fear the most, Im in Sales so most of my day is spent having a positive and good mental attitude, Ive learned over many years that when we become afraid to confront something, the fear takes over our life, so how do we do it, by taking the 1st step, that is through our own front door, they always say the hardest door to go through is our own, once we cross the threshold, the rest is easy, going into the gym and working out with people who appear a lot more fitter than we are can be daunting, but actually, those ones could not be more happier that you are there, after all, you belong to a special group of people who exercise, it only takes 21 days to form a habit, so exercising on a regular basis starts to kick in after about 21 days of attending, also, paying a monthly subscription at the gym also helps you to take advantage of it, whereas pay as you go sessions is an easy way not to show up.

Exercising with like minded ones, who have goals and targets is also helpful, but in the end, you have to do it for yourself, once you show up once or twice a week, and extend it to 3 or 4 times a week, you become part of the group there, you will always bump into the same faces, that is people who are conscious of their health and fitness requirements, slowly but surely, you will enjoy the day you pass through the gym doors to start your exercise, start slowly, 30 minutes a day is better than 1 hour for the week, its the quality of the programme not the quantity, and most of all go along and enjoy yourself, best of luck, your not alone, i was afraid to go in every day, now I get smiling stares, and well wishers all the time.
  • haggarka
    Options
    Just finished my first week on MFP. Lost 4.6 lbs & that was with NO exercise!. I amalso too intimidated to go to the gym;my husband thinks I'm crazy but hard to ignore those gremlins in your head. Just walk! That's what I plan this week on my lunch breaks & also have a Walking DVD I plan to use in the evenings.
    good luck!!!!
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    At first (like what I'm doing right now as it is also my first week :) I'm working out at home. My boyfriend had a friend burn the Insanity workouts and I've been doing those, not everyday but around 4-5 times this week I've done them. I also thought about joining a gym but I realized that I need to make time first in my own home to commit to. I'm not super close to a gym so I would probably find myself saying "Oh I don't have enough time today, it is too far to go, the weather sucks (yay for being in Ottawa in the winter)...yadda yadda yadda". So I'm doing those cardio circuits, then doing some exercises with a stability ball and throwing in some weights as well. I'm finding that for myself it is working really well because I'm exercising on my own time, on my own terms. I feel that if I stick to it and commit first in my own home, that after awhile, if needed, I will then move onto the gym. Another benefit, if you have some favourite TV shows to catch up on and don't have a lot of time, throw one on when you are doing weights, ball exercises, reps of whatever and you can watch and catch up on missed TV at the same time :). I'm no expert as this is also my first week but this is what I'm finding really has worked for me in this past week.
  • boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Zumba is the best exercise ever:happy:
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Who says you need a gym?? I have been doing this for a long time and havent stepped foot in a gym... I workout at home. there are a million workout dvds out there that actually work. some good ones i love are the biggest loser dvd series, 30 day shred by jillian michaels and supreme 90 day is great...its like p90x, but only $20 you can find it at sports stores and i think bed bath and beyond. you only need a couple sets of handweights. I have a small house and only a little spot to workout in and i play the dvds on my laptop. it really is super easy to workout at home. hope that helps!
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There was a time that I was in the gym more than I was at home. The only time someone will notice that anyone but themselves is there would be if they feel someone is in their way. There are gym Nazis everywhere (surf nazis, road nazis...). You can generally identify them fairly easily and avoid them. 90% of the people that notice anyone but their own program are there feeling the exact same way. Don't avoid the gym, there are things there that you can't get anywhere else. If you are too self conscious, go slow. Watch how others use the equipment and work yourself in slowly (that's a good idea anyway with muscle fatigue). After you observe for a while and know how to use the equipment effectively and efficiently you'll forget that anyone else is even there yourself. This is coming from a guy that was so self conscious that he never ate in public and especially never asked for a doggy bag until he enlisted. You don't get a choice about when and where you eat in boot camp. Oh... and about that 90% comment above. Most people (overwhelming majority, even some gym nazis) like to help others to learn and get where they need to get.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the city you live in there are all types of gyms. Most of them will even give you a free 2-week trial membership, try out a few gyms and figure out which one makes you feel the most comfortable and motivates you the most. It can be trial and error but I'm sure you will find a gym that works best for you!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I discovered Hulu has some pretty good workouts too! For being free I'm pretty satisfied with them, try out the Envy Girls workouts, they are pretty good :)
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    It's about how you feel on the inside, too! Keep your chin up and think, "I'm making myself better - a little bit every day!"
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I refuse to go to a gym. I'm never comfortable there. I'd rather do my workouts by walking around the neighborhood, or exercise at home. And it's a LOT cheaper, too.
  • shootingstarr85
    Options
    :smile: i just finished my first week uaing mfp and uaing my ab lounge and lost 3 lbs so far. i dont have a gym near by so i walk or exerise at home. but im finally getting rid of the bad eating habbits and getting new ones., i completely cut out soda and am drink water some juices
  • sanderson1964
    Options
    Hi,
    This is my first week here too and I'm very pleased. I love this site! It's very user friendly and I love, love, love that I can scan items with my phone. I lost 3.6 lbs which I think is a combination of being sick this last week and changing my eating habits so drastically.I'm hoping to lose 1-2 lbs a week.

I'm heading back to the gym this week. I haven't been as faithful as I once was and it's sure showing. lol It can be somewhat intimidating going to the gym in the beginning. But everyone is there for their own reasons and goals. I think that most people are so involved in what they're doing that they don't pay much attention to what anyone else is doing.

Good luck to you. Add me if you want. Keep in touch
    Sherri
  • sanderson1964
    Options
    Congrats on the loss