Elliptical

Options
Hey guys I am just starting off with exercising on my Elliptical. I did 7 minutes on it last night and was burnt out. I woke up and 11 minutes and burnt out. is this normal for a beginner. Should I be pushing myself more or gradually working up on it? I dont want to hurt myself.

Replies

• dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump....i have the same question
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I didn't start using an elliptical until I bruised my heel jogging and it totally kicked my *kitten*. I had been jogging 3 or 4 miles 4 days a week and switched to the elliptical and could barely walk after 30 minutes on it so it does take some getting used to:)
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that makes me feel much better...guess Ill just keep working at it.
  • kkurtz04
    Options
    Keep working at it! It is definetly a different kind of motion your body may need to get use to. Also, check the level it is at and make sure you are starting at one. If it helps, don't use the arm motions at first just hold on and work your legs. I love the elliptical, I could do it for an hour or more if my feet didn't go knumb after 15 minutes on it. Good luck and Good Job!
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes me a while to work up! I like the elliptical because I get a better work out.

I just started using it again about 2 weeks ago. I could only go 5 minutes. After doing it nearly every day and getting used to exercising again, I can now do 30ish minutes. I'm planning to keep working until i can hit the whole hour on it!

It's not easy at first. Especially if you're not used to it. Don't overwork yourself! Just keep trying it and eventually you'll be a pro and able to go for ages and people will marvel at you!
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just started using the elliptical again and found myself dying after 5 minutes. My plan is to add one minute each time I use it until I am up to my goal of 60 minutes. You'll get there.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    All i do is the elliptical since i have bad knees and a bad back. If you havent done much working out before then yes you will get wore out fast. Just dont push yourself really hard. Going fast and getting burnt out 7 mins into will do nothing for you. Take your time and go slow. If you can do a hr on it going slow you will get more out of it
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh man, back when I was decently fit, I was still only doing about 30 minutes on the higher settings. Before I tried it, I remember watching everyone else struggling through and thinking pffft, it can't be that bad. Then I got on and barely made it ten minutes. That's totally normal. You'll get there!
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Build up to it slowly. I started out doing 5 minutes a few times a day for a week, then upped it to 10 minutes a few times a day. I kept increasing it by 5 minute increments each week and can now do half an hour at one time, but if I don't do it for a few days I will be out of energy and unable to continue on after 15 minutes again. Those ellipticals really take it out of you.
  • juliebradhen
    juliebradhen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I started on this back in August I could only manage 3 minutes. Now Adding a little time each time I can do 20. Just add a minute a time maybe
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Take your time and you will get there..
    I can just manage 30mins and I been doing it since August
  • AngelicaH1992
    Options
    I think in the beginning I did about 30-45 min on level 6 (out of 15) and now on a good day I do 70-90 min (normally do 60-70) on level 13 so you definitely have to work yourself up :)
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I first started on the elliptical I did about 22 minutes and wanted to die (and/or punch the friend who brought me to the gym in the tit for suggesting it). Now I do an hour on a bad day at more than triple the resistance. Keep working at it. You'll get there.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What type do you have?

I have Elliptical Reebok REV-11101 and when I first started I was pooped after a few minutes. I slowly built up and last night I managed 34 minutes before I was done.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    you might want to look to see what the cross ramp is defaulted at and also the resistance. The ellipticals where I go are defaulted at 10 for the crossramp and that is high for someone just starting out. Start low and work you way up on both... you dont have to do the highest levels to get a good workout. use your target Heart Rate as a gauge..

Good luck! I use it because the impact is low and I have a bad hip. I use a longer time and lower resistance and crossramp. I still make my target heart rate!
  • dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    when I first started I couldnt even manage 2 mins I now do (at the gym) easily 15 mins. I have got one at home now and that is so different I really struggled the last 2 mins last week but today just about managed it. Take it slowly and you will get it, I watch tv while I am doing it then dont notice the time so much and am planning on building up to an hour a time. Next week the plan is for 20 minds :)
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the inspiration:)
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I first started using the Elliptical I was at my heaviest. I started tracking how long i could go on it at the least resistance. In the beginning i could only do about 15 minutes. Today I put in sometimes over two hours on it. I use it when my knees start getting sore from jogging and during bad weather. I also have to be careful on it while watching football games because I have just about hurt myself on it getting excited or mad during the game.....lol

Also you will notice your feet will start to tingle and go numb. That has been discussed on here before and seems to be pretty normal. My feet will go numb sometimes for ten to fifteen minutes when I am on it for extended periods.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I pushed it...My calves are super sore and the outer thighs are trying to catch up to the super sore calves. Knee brace back on the left knee.

Start slowly like you were walking every day...and remember that it's not aerobics and your legs are doing the work. Good news is that after two days of super soreness and light workouts on the elliptical, my legs are back to normal and I'm still plugging away.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am facing total knee replacements at the end of my weightloss journey and in the beginning (at 560lbs.) I couldn't walk (lost alot of weight in the pool) but when I got to where I could do land base exercise the elliptical became my machine of choice. I remember the very first time I got on it I did 25 minutes and it felt pretty good but the moment I stepped off it i tried to walk and actually fell 5 times trying to walk over to get a towel to wipe down the machine. Everyone was staring at me lol... but my leg muscles were just spent and couldn't even support my weight. Gradually build up and keep adding time and before long you will be on there for an hour easy.... You can't get me off the elliptical these days.... love it!!.....