Help - am I overthinking??

Options
So, I have been at this for almost five months now and have had great success. I have lost 55 pounds and am only about 30 pounds away from a weight that I would have thought was impossible for me. But recently I purchased a fitness monitor and I am second guessing myself. What I have learned is that my workouts are at a very high intensity. So I tried to workout in a 'fat burn' range....which I barely broke a sweat!
So now I am confused. My gut tells me to keep doing what I'm doing, but would I get better results if I trained in the fat burning range? One problem I see is that I will have to train twice as long in order to burn the same amount of calories. Which is another question....do I want to burn more calories or burn fat? If any one has any thoughts, I would sure appreciate them.

Replies

• agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    forget those STUPID machines. they are notoriously unreliable. do what is working for you. By the way, you are doing AWESOME!
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    IGNORE the HRM. Go without it. Fat burning range is retarded. Go with what feels good and correct. Besides, unless you get tested for your maximum heart rate, you have no idea what your target ranges really are supposed to be set at.
  • saphira69
    Options
    "One problem I see is that I will have to train twice as long in order to burn the same amount of calories"

^^ absolutely right. The only reason "fat burning zone" is good for some people is if they cannot physically do a high intensity exercise for 30 minutes to burn 300 calories then they can possible go for a longer period doing a lighter exercise to burn the 300 calories. .

stick with what is working for you :) If you're burning the calories, you're burning what creates the fat
  • RyanEParker
    Options
    As Scully and TheBeast said, don't rely on machines. Your brain and your body are much better indicator of what workouts are good for you. Just trust yourself.

Ryan Parker
    Rock-Abs.net - How I Lost my Beer Belly