Food date base frustration

Options
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but some of the food numbers are totally off in the nutritional information. One item I was going to enter for dinner was 70 a calorie difference! At least 3-4 foods a day I add to my food diary are wrong. Some people just round up the numbers up instead of using a .5. I have to re-enter most of my food in the data base and then I worry that people are getting the wrongly marked food items that are still listed. I tried to alter a few but they aren't showing up right. Does it take a while to approve?

Has anyone else been dealing with this? I've been eating 50 calories a day less because I don't trust some of the numbers.

Replies

• nikitaldy01
    nikitaldy01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I've noticed the same problem... people probably don't realize the mistakes. Anyway I have just entered the food myself with a code that I myself will recognize so I know the numbers are mine... and I try to stick to the mostly the same foods and I let the system "remember" those foods for me! :)
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but some of the food numbers are totally off in the nutritional information. One item I was going to enter for dinner was 70 a calorie difference! At least 3-4 foods a day I add to my food diary are wrong. Some people just round up the numbers up instead of using a .5. I have to re-enter most of my food in the data base and then I worry that people are getting the wrongly marked food items that are still listed. I tried to alter a few but they aren't showing up right. Does it take a while to approve?

Has anyone else been dealing with this? I've been eating 50 calories a day less because I don't trust some of the numbers.

If you notice mistakes, edit/fix them, yes! They'll show up soon enough. Odd they don't show up for you - try refreshing the page?

Overall, an extra 100 calories won't make or break you. If you know what amount of calories you eat, just adjust the portion size.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I usually double check labels & other websites to make sure I'm selecting the most accurate foods. Then once they are on my frequent list it's easy.
  • Jenzi07
    Jenzi07 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yep, it's a problem. I have also noticed that there are multiple postings for the same exact food item. I don't mind it if the food is posted again for different portions, like some are by the ounce and some are by the 1/4 cup but, a lot are the same. I know there is a spot to correct the wrong nutritional values but, as busy as I am, I just don't always have time to correct them, and there are a lot like you said. Some people just arn't detail and goal oriented. For those of us who are we will just have to keep correcting and reposting nutritional values. But, on the other hand this website has been invaluable. I LOVE IT!!!
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    This is the fourth calorie counting site I've used, and by far the easiest to use & the most accurate.
    I will however, keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    100 calories will make or break me, that's the whole point of doing a food log. 100 calories more a day to me is an extra 700 calories a week. I'm very careful about calories right now because I'm not exercising as much. (I'm doing 1200 a day)

The data base added my new entries but still leaves the wrong ones. :ohwell: I think the coding idea and entering it in the food data might be the best plan to stay accurate.

If you notice mistakes, edit/fix them, yes! They'll show up soon enough. Odd they don't show up for you - try refreshing the page?

Overall, an extra 100 calories won't make or break you. If you know what amount of calories you eat, just adjust the portion size.
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi All,

This has been an ongoing problem, I have seen posts like this in other website forums (P90X)
    I just remind myself this is a FREE website and the content is largely user driven. The technical
    function is superb and user friendly, but the content is user input.

Just establish your own database and control your own reporting. There's only so much Mike
    can do to chase down mounds of free content editing. Have you ever noticed how many people
    join everyday? I've only been here a few days and I see newbies everyday, it's awesome.
    Not trying to diss your post, you have a point, just trying to put it in perspective.

♥Karen
  • walkingtessa
    walkingtessa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi tofuheart i read you are on a 1200cal a day could you give me an average days menu to what you eat as im struggling to eat all of mine.

thanx:flowerforyou: