Is MFP depressing?

Options
ReverendJim
ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
A recent study concluded that spending too much time on Facebook can lead to depression, especially in the younger age groups. Is too much social networking a bad thing? On Facebook, we see how everyone else has such a perfect life, the shiniest toys, the best looking wife, the fanciest car, etc. People put the best of themselves out there on Facebook, not the worst. So from the outside, it often looks like everyone else has it better.

That got me to thinking. Is MFP the same way? I get a lot of encouragement and support from my MFP friends (and you are always welcome to join me). But I also see people who are stuck on plateaus, etc. Do you ever feel that seeing the amazing stories of others on MFP can be depressing, or is it generally an encouragement to you to keep on keeping on? Thanks for your response.

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    It didn't take me long to see through the parade of BS on my friend's FB pages. I noticed those that celebrated their "ideal" life also had some emotional baggage.

The nice thing about MFP, is that everyone here is at least trying to move in the same direction - self-improvement. I notice, too, that most of my friends don't mind sharing the good days with the bad. We all go through slumps, and at least most of us can relate when our friends go through it, and offer a little wisdom.

But I don't find MFP depressing. If anything, it's inspiring. You just need to take the good with the bad.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think fb can be more negative. I find I don't spend nearly as much time there as I do here.

MFP, while yes somethings can sound depression, the site in itself is built to better ourselves. I've hardly ever seen people being torn down here, that's not to say it doesn't happen, I've seen it happen on here just not often at all. Most people are willing to motivate and inspire, others are willing to push and try hard to get where they want to be. This site makes me feel like I'm actually apart of something good and healthy.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Funny I think of FB as where alot of people air their worst, all their drama, UGH! That's why it's depressing! I find MFP motivating!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting. I'm a very self-confident and happy person, so have never felt depressed at anything I've seen on weight loss websites or on Facebook. Frustrated, sometimes, and they can really put me off someone I might have liked if they'd not shared their thoughts and opinions online, but never depressed.

On the other hand, I have had people say I come across as depressing on Facebook occasionally. I suppose I do use it more for grumbling than for being cheerful, because I don't like the idea of rubbing my happiness in the faces of others if I can help it. I avoid updating on the good, but if I have a minor complaint I voice it! I also can't stand overly soppy expressions of love on Facebook, as it seems like people are trying to prove something to themselves more than anything.

I've only been on MFP for a day, but I see it being much more about sharing positive experiences than grumbling like I do on Facebook. It seems an overall happier place despite the fact that most people here are struggling from time to time.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and reaching your goals isn't easy breezy. It takes alot of work and a series of ups and downs. If everyone only portrayed it in a positive way it would be fake. I don't find it depressing, I find it "Real". We all stand by each other through a series of stumbling blocks and detour signs. NO one understands the evils of self sabotage or depressing mood swings better than a fellow MFP. While it is great to read inspiring stories of success, it is also great to know what they went through to get there!
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't find it depressing either. I think this site is great, I actually met one of my friends on here at the gym the other night! It was great to put actual person behind her pic! I love how everyone, well most of the time on here jump on and try to help each other whether by motivation, advice, recipes,etc. I can see how people may feel depressed about themselves if they haven't moved on the scale but I don't think that MFP would add to that.

This was a great question....THANKS!
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It is the opposite for me... when I am depressed about my weight or overeating this is the site that I have come to count on. I have never met a more supportive group of people in my life. No one on this site seems to look down on another person. It is all about lifting everyone else around you. I not only want to lose weight and live longer, but I wish that for all of my friends on the site. When people haven't been posting in a while, members try to get the person back on track. I wish the real world was more like Myfitnesspal!
  • LeighYan91
    Options
    I can honestly say that I sometimes feel depressed seeing every-ones loses. Although I am so proud of every single one of you guys and happy for yous I do sometime feel bit down :/
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You want to cheer up, well, I'm failing at this and have been for going on two weeks. Maybe three, it's like some kind of hell where I've lost track of time. My scale won't budge, my measurements won't budge, I've jogged and walked so much my knees are yelling at me, I joined a gym and tore up every muscle in my body on their equipment, and then yesterday I just gave up temporarily and ate several thousand calories of pure junk.

I suck at this! I miss my eating disorder and my diet pills and the lightheaded feeling of constant starvation.

But on the plus side, cashews are really tasty.
  • ReverendJim
    Options
    I can honestly say that I sometimes feel depressed seeing every-ones loses. Although I am so proud of every single one of you guys and happy for yous I do sometime feel bit down :/

But look at you! 34 pounds down. You are doing GREAT!!! Thanks for the honesty. I tell everyone it's like the stock market. You will go up, you will go down. You will have good weeks and you will have bad weeks. It's the overall trend that counts. Keep your eye on the goal, not on where you are on the track. Don't watch the kettle boil, just keep the heat on... Best wishes for your continued success, my friend.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

This...I am so proud of each and every single one of my MFP friends, but it gets depressing when I'm working my butt off and not seeing the results I feel like I should be seeing. Other than that, I love MFP, everyone is always uplifting when I'm feeling down and my friends are always motivating each other. It's great to see all that. Also, this is the 1 place where people understand my journey and can offer good advice, I cherish that!!!
  • M6Tina
    M6Tina Posts: 5
    Options
    I dumped my MFP friends because they are all about themselves. Except one nice lady. Otherwise, they have enough friends and don't have time for any others. I'm going it alone! Lone Wolf!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You want to cheer up, well, I'm failing at this and have been for going on two weeks. Maybe three, it's like some kind of hell where I've lost track of time. My scale won't budge, my measurements won't budge, I've jogged and walked so much my knees are yelling at me, I joined a gym and tore up every muscle in my body on their equipment, and then yesterday I just gave up temporarily and ate several thousand calories of pure junk.

I suck at this! I miss my eating disorder and my diet pills and the lightheaded feeling of constant starvation.

But on the plus side, cashews are really tasty.

Don't ever, ever give up. Remind yourself why you are here. Press on! You can do this... just be patient! :flowerforyou:
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and reaching your goals isn't easy breezy. It takes alot of work and a series of ups and downs. If everyone only portrayed it in a positive way it would be fake. I don't find it depressing, I find it "Real". We all stand by each other through a series of stumbling blocks and detour signs. NO one understands the evils of self sabotage or depressing mood swings better than a fellow MFP. While it is great to read inspiring stories of success, it is also great to know what they went through to get there!

^^^^^ Totally agree with this. :)
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I came off face book because i was sick of see people moaning about have no money there partners are cheating and general crap ive been on here a week and it gives me the motivation to keep it up as ive got to log everything, everyone is so friendly and helps me stay focused
  • ReverendJim
    Options

Over the holidays, I ate well under the MFP calorie limit. I was so proud of myself. I had 500 calorie deficits every day. I worked out 30 to 40 minutes on my treadmill every day. But my weight went up five pounds. After two weeks, I still had that five pounds. WTF???? Those five pounds are gone now. Looking back at it and analyzing my diary, I was eating crap with WAY too much sodium. After six months of eating NO processed foods, I ate summer sausage, Triscuits, Wheat Thins, etc. Not in large quantities, mind you ... but large enough to well exceed my sodium intake every day. My point is that sh$t happens. Try your best not to give up. Get through it and resist the temptation to consume several thousand calories of pure junk. I know it's easier said than done, but it can be done. You have all of us to back you up. YOU can do it.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Quite the opposite in my view. I sometimes get emotional when I see success stories with pics on here (keep them coming) and they encourage me to keep going. I have also found people from all around the world who are happy to friend me who will encourage me by both commenting on my progress and share their progress with me, whilst my actual friends have stopped using MFP. Overall its a very positive experience and I don't get anything but the odd laugh from Facebook or Twitter.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't think this site is depressing at all, everyone I come across has been positive and is always encouraging. That said whilst I don't go on facebook as much as I used to, I don't find that depressing either, however people can be sarcastic and I'm careful of what I put on there. I also think there are a lot of people who seem to think its a competition to see who can have the most 'friends' never mind the fact they haven't met the majority of them, or dont' even 'talk' to them on a regular basis!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Over the holidays, I ate well under the MFP calorie limit. I was so proud of myself. I had 500 calorie deficits every day. I worked out 30 to 40 minutes on my treadmill every day. But my weight went up five pounds. After two weeks, I still had that five pounds. WTF???? Those five pounds are gone now. Looking back at it and analyzing my diary, I was eating crap with WAY too much sodium. After six months of eating NO processed foods, I ate summer sausage, Triscuits, Wheat Thins, etc. Not in large quantities, mind you ... but large enough to well exceed my sodium intake every day. My point is that sh$t happens. Try your best not to give up. Get through it and resist the temptation to consume several thousand calories of pure junk. I know it's easier said than done, but it can be done. You have all of us to back you up. YOU can do it.

See, this is why MFP isn't depressing. Encouragement, support, and sometimes plain old misery loves company! :flowerforyou:
  • iruthi
    iruthi Posts: 5
    Options
    With facebook, I just cannot face it. Somebody out there always reminds me of what I could, or should be, or be doing. Depressing! With MFP (I joined in November 2011), I'm always eager to log on, track my food for the day, find something to read or share. EVEN when I'm not doing so well, I think it really is like someone here said, just keep your eye on the goal, the purpose, the plan, and keep on keeping on. I'm not doing great with my weight loss - we've just come through the holidays, but I'm doing better than I EVER have before in my 40 years of trying to do this other ways! :flowerforyou: Thanks for being here, all of you.