Nutrisystem?

Options
I am considering Nutrisystem to start off the new year. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• celerieaz
    celerieaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have never tried nutrisystem, but my aunt did. She sent it back immediately after one or two meals because she said it just wasn't appetizing in the least. I wouldn't call my aunt a picky eater, but she definitely won't settle for something that she doesn't want.

If you want to try it, go for it. There is something nice about having preplanned out meals that you don't need to think about. However, I think in the long run you are better off making your own meals. Making things in bulk at the beginning of the week (Sundays usually) and then portioning it out into single servings for the week, or even bulk making foods and freezing them, isn't something difficult or time consuming.

Furthermore, if you loose all your weight on meals planned and prepared for you, I feel as though you are more likely to gain weight back after going off the plan because you haven't ingrained the kind of habits necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

But, in the end, it is all up to you! If you feel like it will be a good fit, and if you have the income, totally go for it.
  • fjohnson1989
    fjohnson1989 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!
  • hgbear74
    hgbear74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done Jenny Craig, which is similar, but the the food is better. .I have always been successful losing the weight, but keeping it off is harder. If you have a lot of weight to lose, these boxed food programs can get pretty dull. BUT you lose weight rather quickly, so you'll get to your "own" meals faster.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I've never tried - but my aunt was on it for a few months and suddenly she started losing her hair and forming cysts all over her body. Her doctor told her that it was from all the chemicals they put into the foods to keep it 'fresh' for shelf-life. :(
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am considering Nutrisystem to start off the new year. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad? Thoughts?
    Just about every fat friend I know starved themselves with Nutrisystem before gaining all their weight back.

And one poor lady has a whole shelf in her basement full of unused packages of that crap nobody wants to eat, because they're just so sick of it. YUK!

That's been my experience.
  • Maagrie
    Maagrie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did Nutri system for about 3 months a couple of years ago. The food is not too bad. I lost about 30 lbs while on it. But, after about 3 months I started having stomach/digestion trouble. It seemed like there was something in the food that didn't agree with me. Maybe the fat or sugar substitute? My mother did it at the same time and didn't have the same trouble.

Good luck!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I did NurtiSystems about 0 years ago and took off 80 lbs Eventually put it back on plus another 50 lbs. Tried it again about 5 or 6 ears ago but didn't last. In the real work I have to eat real food not stuff that is pre-packaged. It never taught me how to survive in the real world.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i did nutrisystem a couple years ago because a friend ordered it and couldnt stand the food...she gave it to me. id have never tried it otherwise... $300 a month plus fresh fruits/vegs and dairy... thats more than i spend for my family of 4 for the month.
    i did lose weight on it, but i didnt enjoy the food. i mostly just used it so it wouldnt go to waste. i dont think it really taught me anything either - i just microwaved something and had a piece of fruit and that was my meal. i didnt learn about portion sizes, or anything like that.