Fibromyalgia & working out

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Amy, I'm 34yrs old, and I have a heck of a time doing any fitness training for the following reasons:

* I have fibromyalgia (my body hurts just because it hates me)

* I have a herniated C4 (a simple neck-roll sucks sometimes)

* I've had 2 ulnar nerve transpositions (meaning that docs took out my ulnar nerves, did a few jumping jacks with them, and put them back in, resulting in my not being able to lift a gallon of milk some days)

* I've fractured my coccyx (wherein even sitting becomes suck-tacular)

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who really wants to be fit, but lets pain get in the way. I'd love to lie and say that I've tried a bunch of things, but the truth is that I've been scared to try much of anything. Some days just being alive hurts!
I looked at myself in the mirror recently and was disturbed by what I saw. Just over two years ago I had this adorable little body. Apparently my thyroid and I were still getting along... after surgeries, medications, and a fairly sedentary life. Last year I realized my body wasn't going in the direction my mind wanted it to go. I'd gone from a decent 130lbs to the 155lbs I find myself at. I lamented until the I discovered it wasn't going to get any better until I forced it to.
I found myfitnesspal.com just last month and love it for the most part. It has helped me keep my goals in mind, although I had to do a lot of outside research to understand what a "calorie" really is, how it relates to me, and why it's important. I hope anyone reading this does the same research.

Anyway, back to the whole "exercise and pain" topic... I've been doing the "Pick Your Level: Weight Loss Pilates" with Ellen Barrett on NetFlix. I can't say it's amazing because I've been doing it for a week. I do know that it's low impact and I really only have problems using my arms during the routines (considering I've had major nerve surgeries, that's no surprise). With chronic pain being a constant companion, I can honestly sat that this 30min workout is the one I can actually do without much complaint. Of course, being mostly sedentary for the past year or more, it hurts some... but the more I do it, the more I can distinguish the "workout pain" from the "everyday pain".

I guess I just want people to know that there's a way to work through debilitating pain and overcome the effects it has on our bodies. I'm still new at this (having only recently weaned myself off of all the medicinal crap that the doctors had me on) and want to take control of my body back. If there are other out there who are in the same situation I would absolutely love to talk to you, support you, and find strength in you!

Replies

• 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wow! you sound just like my niece. She too suffers from Fibromyalgia. I just called her (she's new to MFP) to have her read your topic. She needs the support of others who REALLY understand.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro, herniated discs and a whole lot of other health problems. I'd love to add you.. I know how it feels to try and lose weight with daily pain xoxo - Nichele
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromylgia and have been on oxygen full time since March. I've lost 80+lbs since then. I find that gentler exercises are better.

For the fibromylgia I find that doing lots of gentle stretching and yoga really helps to keep me from having the fibro flare-ups. I also do push-ups but modify them by doing them on the wall. An exercise ball is another great way to workout.

If you have access to a pool that might be a good method too.

It's tough but stick with it and just do a little more each day! If anyone wants more support feel free to friend me. :flowerforyou:
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    My wife struggles with Fibromyalgia and herniated disks and is going through physical therapy to try to get some relief in her back.. I have seen her try to work through chronic pain and I can't even imagine what your journey must be like. I don't have this issue myself, but I have seen what it can do to someone close up.

My hat is off to you for your dedication. You are an amazing person.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, too, and it makes this whole thing about a million times harder. Not only is it hard to work out with pain and unimaginable fatigue, it's even harder to WANT to do it. Alas, we do what we can.
  • adoremeorelse
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! It's good to connect with people who understand. I got tired of friends telling me that my problem was being lazy, or not realizing exercise hurts until you get used to it! *sigh* I love you guys already!
  • melissainez85
    Options
    omg thank u for this sooooooooooooooo much!! and everyone feel free to add me im a 26yr mother of two and dealing with so much!!! i walked in place this morning while my coffee brewed and well lets just say it was to early and im hurting and im in bed!! no one can understand unless ur going through it so happy i found this and people that UNDERSTAND what i mean :)
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    People who don't have fibromyalgia cannot understand what it is like. You aren't being lazy - no one wants to do things on purpose that hurts them. Just start small and as you strengthen, you will be able to do more. And doing water aerobics IS loads easier and less painful than most other kinds of exercise. I get a massage at least once a week to help out also. My doctor suggested acupuncture, but I have a needle phobia - I don't want to try it.

I have just started to add a little strength training each day, except Sunday. I'll see how that goes. I'm really sore today and having to take it easy. Anyway, I'll stop just going on and on! Don't give up!:happy:
  • merandrich
    Options
    Very sorry about all your health problems. Here are some healthful tips.
    Epsom salt baths daily.
    raw- Magnesium pills 1 a day
    walking for exercise OR walking in a pool
    Lastly- Any fitness expert will tell you, your weight is determined by 80% Diet and only 20% exercise. So, the good news is, you Can lose the weight and feel better physically and mentally. Look for great Low cal / High protein recipes on here. I just posted a great one for lettuce wraps. I hope that helps!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Lastly- Any fitness expert will tell you, your weight is determined by 80% Diet and only 20% exercise. So, the good news is, you Can lose the weight and feel better physically and mentally.

This is so true! I have lost 83 lbs doing almost no exercise. I do a lot of stretching and mild yoga but not enough to contribute that much overall to my weight loss.
  • adoremeorelse
    Options
    My doctor suggested acupuncture, but I have a needle phobia - I don't want to try it.

I am scared to death of needles, too, but I gave the acupuncture a try and it was AMAZING! The first visit was not the greatest; I'd gotten myself all worked up with fear before I even got to my appointment. No amount of soothing music, heated sheets, dim lights, or softspoken Asian doctor could dismiss the images of having needles hammered into my back! The doctor talked me through what she was doing and it didn't hurt (except for a few stings here and there)... but my problem was still the mental pictures I was having. I got nauseated and my vision started going yellow and I was pretty sure I was going to pass out. She just placed a giant bowl on the floor under me and kept going about her business!

That night I felt like I'd been in a bar fight, but she assured me it was normal. Within a few days I wasn't so tense and I was feeling pretty darned good. The next session was easier. I knew what to expect and my sense of dread didn't come into play at all. Following sessions left me feeling better than I'd felt in a long time. Unfortunately, I had to stop going for financial reasons. Insurance wouldn't cover the cost and I was having trouble pulling together the money for two $60 sessions per week. Alas, relief has a price tag that is way over my budget!

I'd recommend acupuncture to anyone. If you're like me, you have tried just about everything in the hopes of finding something that works, if only briefly. You don't have anything to lose (except maybe your lunch!).
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Very sorry about all your health problems. Here are some healthful tips.
    Epsom salt baths daily.
    raw- Magnesium pills 1 a day
    walking for exercise OR walking in a pool
    Lastly- Any fitness expert will tell you, your weight is determined by 80% Diet and only 20% exercise. So, the good news is, you Can lose the weight and feel better physically and mentally. Look for great Low cal / High protein recipes on here. I just posted a great one for lettuce wraps. I hope that helps!

I have FMS and nerve issues and whoever posted this... your are so 100 percent accurate.... and once you lose that weight yes you actually do feel so so much better .....
  • kristih86
    Options
    I, myself have fibromyalgia, which most days will make you want to stay in bed all day with a heating pad,good movie & chocolate. I have realized though that exercising (even if it's low intensity) makes me feel better. Have you ever tried water aerobics? Contrary to some beliefs is actually a good workout and should be low impact enough that it wouldn't hurt your arms- just an idea to try & help you out. good luck :wink:
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    yes i am doing accupuncture as well.... and i was afraid of needles.. and it did amazing things to me.... really does work... i don't know if its power of thinking to make it work, but it works so whatever the fact is....i will still keep going...
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and hypothyroid. It is so hard to make yourself exercise and eat properly when you feel so bad. I turned to comfort eating when I was in pain which was all the time. I decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided to give mfp a try. I started july 2010 and have lost 93lbs I feel so much better. I still have painful days but it isnt constant like it was. I started out with just swimming, then added walks, then after about a yr joined a gym. I only go to the gym 1-2xs a week , I do mostly walking. Feel free to add me if you need encouragement or understanding......
  • SongbirdTrisha
    SongbirdTrisha Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow- I almost started to cry when I read this- our stories are so similar! It's funny how fibromyalgia makes you feel like your all alone. I also have three bulging discs in my neck, CRPS (RSD back in the day) inmy left leg and left shoulder, arthritis in my right knee (I need a knee replacement but I can't due to the RSD), and low thyroid (makes me wonder if there is a thyroid/ fibro connection...). I, like you, hurt when I work out. I found this site two days ago, and decided to give it another go- I too, have decided to stop going to doctors who just want to treat the symptoms and not the disease. I am tired of being their guinea pig. I know when I lose the 40 (I'd like to lose 50, but hubby says no) I will feel better; I know exercise will help me feel better; I am so afaid to flare up the CRPS and fibromyalgia. I did walk 15 minutes on the treadmill tonight tho :). I know what to do, I guess I am just afraid to do it. Walking is a start! Thanks for posting- I don't feel alone in this anymore.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi

Well done for starting here on MFP. I suffer from M.E. and have many symptoms similar to Fibro. I know for me, just saying to myself and my OH "You know what I am going to lose some of this weight" was almost overwhelming because it felt so big and so hard. Never underestimate how well you are doing just by being here and starting, and be kind to yourself - you have been through an awful lot, and you haven't given up. Don't let anyone tell you that you are lazy - they have NO IDEA. Just getting out of bed every morning with Fibro makes you less lazy than 99% of the population!

I started with food. I did a lot of research on how food affects energy levels and decided to cut out all forms of added sugar completely. This meant giving up almost all ready made food and starting from scratch, making my own bread, making my own yoghurt and everything. I was off work on long term sick at the time, so I was able to do these things - but I also invested in a bread machine and so on!

The changes from the food and my positive attitude were amazing. so I decided exercise was next on my list. About 4 years ago now I started to see a physio. They got me started on some very basic exercises. For example just sitting on a gym ball for a few minutes a day. And I started walking. On the first day I walked to the end of the drive and back. I really took it in baby steps, increasing slightly every day.

Today I still have problems. I am working from home today because I am too tired to drive to work and I have a lot of pain. But I know its 100 times better than it used to be. Graded exercise and food does not work for everyone - so I am not trying to tell you what you should do, just sharing my story so you know there is hope. You will find a way that works for you.

Take care
    Jodye
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I know exercise will help me feel better; I am so afaid to flare up the CRPS and fibromyalgia. I did walk 15 minutes on the treadmill tonight tho :). I know what to do, I guess I am just afraid to do it. Walking is a start! Thanks for posting- I don't feel alone in this anymore.

Well done! I think the fear is the hardest part. Its difficult for anyone else to really understand and so easy to feel alone when all your friends can just do anything they like.

Keep going with the walking - 15 minutes is great. Just a couple of minutes every day will see big benefits for you.

jodye
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    bump
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (have to get bloodwork done to rule anything else out).
    Cold weather bothers me ..... a lot. I noticed, when my muscles/bones are warm (to the point where the rest of me sweats sometimes), I don't hurt. At least until they cool down again. When I work out, I feel NO PAIN. :happy: