First Week In.. TOUGH!!

Options
I have been on a diet roller coaster for so long now! This time I told myself I was going to do it the right way by eating healthier, consuming less calories, and by incorporating exercise into my everyday. I started last Sunday (you know, the whole 2012 resolution thing). The exercising has been easy, even fun! I have been making only healthy food choices which hasn't been hard. I found a few new recipes that I like. The toughest part has been that I am HUNGRY! I have been consuming my net calories everyday, I've been trying to eat good carbs and fiber to feel fuller, but I'm not. I know it takes some time for my stomach to actually *shrink* from all of my previous overeating and I'm patiently waiting, but I don't like constantly feeling this way and I don't want to over indulgde because of it...any suggestion??

Replies

• hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary to see what you are eating but I would really look at my food choices are they filling foods? Add extra veggies there are lots of really low calorie veggies that will help curb hunger. Also i have really enjoyed eating grapefruit. A half a grape fuit is like only 21 calories that has been my go to to help keep me satisfied. Also how many calories are you alloted in a day? Is it possible you have it set at too high a goal and would be more successful with a lower weekly calorie loss.
  • FuneralForMyFat
    Options
    Ive found (and this is my first week too) that drinking water whenever i feel hungry helps me also sometime your brain is triggering cravings and it isnt really hunger. So if you are feeling hungry try and eat carrots or cucumber as they are low in calories if you dont feel like these foods then you know it is your brain trying to get back what it is so used to, this has happened to me a couple times over this first week, I think my body has just gone into shock from all the food I used to eat going down to 1500 cals per day. But you can do it! Drink water!! I also find when Im feeling like I need to eat more I just jump on my tumblr blog and look at inspirational photos which keep me on track to my goal. Goodluck hun! :)
  • MrFatLegs
    MrFatLegs Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The first week is hard! What works for me is a lot different snacks, in small portions.. .

you should never be starving on here! if you go a little over its not the end of the world...

Check out the recipes section too for some awesome ideas. Good Luck!
  • trish0944
    Options
    i know how you feel i'm been on the same roller coaster also, the hunger isn't my problem I eat because the food is here. I can't take away from my family because I"m fat. I try staying busy I do a pluzzes to keep my mind off food.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If you are happy to make you diary public temporarily we would be able to help you a little better. At the moment we can only guess at a possible solution for you. I think you will find it easier as time goes on but if you are actually very hungry perhaps you need to eat a little more or different food. There are lots of possibilities. Are you eating enough protein and fibre? Are you drinking enough water? Congrats on getting started and sticking with it :happy:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I know it takes some time for my stomach to actually *shrink* from all of my previous overeating and I'm patiently waiting, but I don't like constantly feeling this way and I don't want to over indulgde because of it...any suggestion??
    Could be because of your food choices, but as your diary isn't pubic, it's not possible to make suggestions about that.

Do make sure you stop what you're doing to eat, eat slowly and chew your food, hunger is psychological as well as physical and it all has an effect on reducing hunger.
  • jilphi
    jilphi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have always found to lose weight I need to feel a little hungry. Not starving, but a little hungry. It becomes somewhat comfortable after awhile. Hang in there. The other thing I find is that in the beginning you are constantly thinking about food and weight loss (or lack of) is always on your mind. This will lessen over time. Find something to do and keep yourself busy. Your stomach will shrink - and overall it will get easier as you go. I only need to lose about 10 pounds but I've been doing the same thing all week. I'm online looking at weight loss related topics, recording my food and generally obsessing. It can make the time go by pretty slowly!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yup, protein, fiber and veggies, veggies are high bulk and low calorie, fill you up and make you feel satisfied. Water, more than 8 glasses a day is good, new recommendation from the health community is 10.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have been on a diet roller coaster for so long now! This time I told myself I was going to do it the right way by eating healthier, consuming less calories, and by incorporating exercise into my everyday. I started last Sunday (you know, the whole 2012 resolution thing). The exercising has been easy, even fun! I have been making only healthy food choices which hasn't been hard. I found a few new recipes that I like. The toughest part has been that I am HUNGRY! I have been consuming my net calories everyday, I've been trying to eat good carbs and fiber to feel fuller, but I'm not. I know it takes some time for my stomach to actually *shrink* from all of my previous overeating and I'm patiently waiting, but I don't like constantly feeling this way and I don't want to over indulgde because of it...any suggestion??
    Open your diary - let see what you're eating.

Suggestion one is always just follow the recommendations of MFP in that your goal should be 1 lb per week.
    Suggestion two is forget everything you see on "The Biggest Loser" - the encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
    Suggestion three is do cardio and resistance exercise.

And again, open your diary; let see if you're doing OK, starving yourself or over eating.
    Remember, you need to eat to lose fat.
  • katieklg
    katieklg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I recently heard a trainer say "Don't be afraid of a little hunger!". This is my first week too and I've repeated this phrase over and over to myself - it does make me feel a little better - like I'm doing something right. I've noticed that sometimes my mouth just wants to be chewing on something (especially if I'm bored - and not necessarily hungry) so I've tried sucking on peppermint lifesavers and that seems to help.
  • xxooandcookies
    xxooandcookies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think I opened up my diary for everyone to see. I appreciate everyone's words of wisdom and advice! Thank you!
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think you're right - when you start tackling portion size, which is the biggy for long-term weight control - I think you just are hungry some of the time. The trick is to stay with it, keep yourself mentally and/or physically busy and get used to it! - It does get better, more tolerable. I've found drinking herbal teas such as bengal spice (no black tea) helps - whether it's the sweet taste and calming effect of the hot/warm water or the carminative ingredients eg liquorice, ginger, cardamom etc I don;t know. Or sometimes even a cup of tea.

Making sure you have fruit you like around and not biscuits in case of emergency snacks are necessary.

It definitely pays to save enough cals for a good dollop of wholegrain pasta/rice or potatoes ( no butter) and LOADS of steamed vegetables for the last meal of the day I've found.... (ie stay away from junky "empty calorie" foods like crisps if you can).