Salad Dressing

Options
What is a good tasting salad dressing that is low in calories and sugar?

Replies

• spottedlee
    Options
    What is a good tasting salad dressing that is low in calories and sugar?
    I personally don't use salad dressing because it is so high in calories, except for low-fat kind which it is hard to find. I did find Wishbone"s fat free red wine vinaigrette and love it,, Calories? 35 per 2 tbsp It is really good dressing IMO I don't know much about sugar as I don't track it, but it has 6g sugar.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar...tastes great.
  • lori712
    Options
    I LOVE Bernstiens light fantastic "Cheese Fantastic" dressing. It is 25 cal for 2 TBSP and only has 1 sugar and 1.5 fat!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've stopped using dressing because it is more calories than the actual salad most times! but if you want something low calorie it is usually a vinagrette of some kind that will have the lowest. You're better off making your own with balsamic vinegar and olive oil - it's healthy for you and low cal.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Deja Vu, wasn't there another thread on this?

I am a purist and like just EVOO and red wine vinegar, but sometimes I'll have Garlic Expressions.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The only one I eat is light Italian...I don't like most dressings but I also don't like dry salad lol. Regular Italian can be just as bad as a creamy dressing so it's super important that it's light.
  • mjane166
    Options
    I like the vinaigrette kinds, but sometimes miss the creamy dressings. We have started using Bolthouse Farms Yogurt dressings - Ranch is only 25 calories and 1 g sugar for 1 tbsp and salsa ranch is even better, only 20 calories and 1 g sugar for 1 tbsp. I'm from Canada and buy them at Walmart.
  • Quoth
    Quoth Posts: 8
    Options
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp grated lemon zest
    1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
    1 small clove garlic, crushed
    Salt and pepper to taste

That should do 2 or 3 servings. It's really tasty and keeps in the fridge for a week.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a new Newman's Own Asian ginger dressing - I hope I like it!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to make your own and much less belly bloating sodium! Quoth's recipe sounds great! I like to use salsa on a Mexican themed salad or smash up a little avocado with vinegar. I've gotten used to eating my salads with very little dressing and I really don't miss it. Premade Low Cal dressings generally add sugar & salt to up the flavor.

I love a little EVOO, over my salad with some cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lemon juice, or wishbone spray dressings, usually they're only a few calories a spray, mines is 1 calorie a spray (balsamic)
  • fusagirl308
    fusagirl308 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Balsamic vinegar all the time for taste and calories.
  • calana
    calana Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as clean as possible and was just making my own with olive oil and red wine vinegar BUT lately I have had my one treat of the day be my salad dressing.

I use the Wishbone Salad Spritzers in ranch now to get my fix. 10 sprays is 15 calories and totally satisfies my craving for dressing.