It It True That Muscle Weighs More Than Fat? - Sia Bevis

Options
I heard it was a myth but so many magazines say its not, so I dont know what to think.

- Sia Bevis

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    By volume, yes.

Muscle is more dense and takes up less space than fat - for every inch of mass on your body, the muscle would weigh more than the fat.
    Therefore it's easier for a lot of people to say it weighs more even though technically that's not true and as a lot of people like to point out "a pound is a pound is a pound" :/
  • jwolfdh
    jwolfdh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    great answer heidi. i've been thinking about that a lot lately. i used to use the fact that i was an athlete and muscular as an excuse for why i weighed what i weighed. everyone said, oh, muscle weighs more than fat so the number doesn't really matter that much. yes and no, as heidi explained. just because i had the extra muscle mass didn't mean it was ok for me to excuse the fat lying on top!!! anyway, not really an answer to your question...just my own input on the subject.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    thanks guys!
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    TY!!
  • ChaoticMum
    ChaoticMum Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    By volume, yes.

Muscle is more dense and takes up less space than fat - for every inch of mass on your body, the muscle would weigh more than the fat.
    Therefore it's easier for a lot of people to say it weighs more even though technically that's not true and as a lot of people like to point out "a pound is a pound is a pound" :/

This is a good description. I know that I weigh the same or a bit less as I did a few years ago but am inches bigger in many places, belly, arms, thighs. I was quite toned though previously and it got away from me with children and a cross country move.