Anybody from or have been to San Francisco?

mizjohnston
mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
Thinking about doing my honeymoon there. Any recommendations on where to stay? Please and Thank you :smile:

Replies

• Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    I live close.... What kind of place are you looking for?

Cost? What are you planning to do while you are there? Are you staying only in San Francisco or are you going to go to other sites in Nor Calif?
  • shmurph
    shmurph Posts: 10 Member
    I was just there for a vacation this past summer- went to a wedding in Big Sur- which is amazingly beautiful (about a couple hours or so south of San Fran, depending on traffic) and then spent a couple day sin San Francisco. We stayed at Parc 55 hotel, which was pretty nice and within walking distance to several shops and restaurants. Luckily we had a friend from there with us who helped us navigate the train and bus systems, but they're pretty easy to get around on. Went to Haight/Ashbury and the Golden Gate Park. It was a lot of fun!
  • mizjohnston
    Thank you. We are planning to come out May 29th through June 2nd I believe. We were also going to Napa at some point. We have searched places to see like Alcatraz etc. I am just not sure on the hotels. Budget for the hotels around 2-3000.00 total. Of course much less would be nicer lol
  • mizjohnston
    I was just there for a vacation this past summer- went to a wedding in Big Sur- which is amazingly beautiful (about a couple hours or so south of San Fran, depending on traffic) and then spent a couple day sin San Francisco. We stayed at Parc 55 hotel, which was pretty nice and within walking distance to several shops and restaurants. Luckily we had a friend from there with us who helped us navigate the train and bus systems, but they're pretty easy to get around on. Went to Haight/Ashbury and the Golden Gate Park. It was a lot of fun!

Thank you. :)
  • shmurph
    shmurph Posts: 10 Member
    Just an FYI - if you want to go to Alcatraz, get your tickets as early as possible. Apparently they sell out quickly and we were unable to go while there. Oh, and most hotels in San Francisco charge for parking.
  • Iamkim73
    Ok so I like to stay at the Clift i the city its small but cool. Has a nice bar too! When I'm going to a giants game I stay at the Marriott about 4blocks away.

In SF location is not a big deal where you stay because giographly it's a small city. Public transportation is easy and cheap.

Don't expect rooms to big regardless of where you are staying they will all be small in the city.

For cost, I would stay a couple of days in the city then stay closer to wine country, it's a drive and it might save some money.

In the city you want to hit golden gate park, union square, the warf, china town. If you don't feel too silly do one of the bus tours, they are fun.

To the north of the city is wine country or the redwoods. Napa is good or any of the little towns near there. Calistoga is usually where I stay. Or to the west is Sonoma, also wine country.

To the south about an hour and a half is Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach (the area I live.) And a bit further is Big Sir. Also, if you go to Minterey consider staying the night. The Marriott is usually around 100.00 a night. Let me know if you do go to the Monterey area I can recommend places to eat and stuff to do

If you are flying in check San Jose, Oakland and San Francisco. They are all close and sometimes you can save quite a bit by going to a different airport.

Feel free to ask questions.
  • Iamkim73
    Just an FYI - if you want to go to Alcatraz, get your tickets as early as possible. Apparently they sell out quickly and we were unable to go while there. Oh, and most hotels in San Francisco charge for parking.

True for both

Park at the hotel and use public transportation parking is hard to find. Get your tickets online.
    You are going during baseball season, check the schedule. AT&T park is beautiful.
  • mizjohnston

Thanks for the head up! :)
  • mizjohnston
    Ok so I like to stay at the Clift i the city its small but cool. Has a nice bar too! When I'm going to a giants game I stay at the Marriott about 4blocks away.

In SF location is not a big deal where you stay because giographly it's a small city. Public transportation is easy and cheap.

Don't expect rooms to big regardless of where you are staying they will all be small in the city.

For cost, I would stay a couple of days in the city then stay closer to wine country, it's a drive and it might save some money.

In the city you want to hit golden gate park, union square, the warf, china town. If you don't feel too silly do one of the bus tours, they are fun.

To the north of the city is wine country or the redwoods. Napa is good or any of the little towns near there. Calistoga is usually where I stay. Or to the west is Sonoma, also wine country.

To the south about an hour and a half is Monterey, Carmel, Pebble Beach (the area I live.) And a bit further is Big Sir. Also, if you go to Minterey consider staying the night. The Marriott is usually around 100.00 a night. Let me know if you do go to the Monterey area I can recommend places to eat and stuff to do

If you are flying in check San Jose, Oakland and San Francisco. They are all close and sometimes you can save quite a bit by going to a different airport.

Feel free to ask questions.

This is awesome. Thank you so much. :)
  • lucy1945
    lucy1945 Posts: 153
    Napa is a great honeymoon area if you love wineries! then you can drive to San Fran for the fun places. thats what i would do. i love wine though. hahahaha
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Congrats on your wedding! We love San Fran - so much to see/do.
    - A great restaurant is the Slanted Door.
    - Definitely do a city site-seeing bus to get a feel for the city and where you want to spend your time.
    - Saucilito is a nice place to visit for a few hours - right across the bay and a nice ferry or a drive across the Golden Gate bridge.
    - It's a very active city which you will love!

13877184.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    My husband I went when we were dating to see my family. We did something every day. Monterey an pebble beach the same day, (also did the aquarium, best in the country in my opinion). We took an open train ride through the redwoods. We went to San francisco, bridge, Alcatraz and the trolley ride was the highlight! All the way from the top to the fishermans wharf. The highlight of the whole trip was the drive to Big Sur. We went to the hurst castle spent the night locally and drove back so we could see a sunset, the most AMAZING views I have ever seen and I've been to Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Honduras, Belize, grand Cayman. Good luck and Congrats! Oh and a friend of ours has a business where you can bike ride through wine country, but that wasn't on our to do list.
  • Stavakoli
    Stavakoli Posts: 86 Member
    I live in Marin County-20 minutes north of the city and close to Napa. I definitely recommend wine tasting/hot springs in Napa. It's beautiful and so romantic! Sonoma Mission Inn is pretty great if you decide to stay a night there. If you're heading from the city to Napa, stop in Sausalito (first city north of SF) for some coffee or a meal right on the water, its absolutely gorgeous. In SF: Golden Gate Park, Fisherman's Warf and the Piers (you must go to the Slanted Door, an amazing Vietnamese fusion restaurant with a great view of the bay), Union Square, China Town, North Beach just to name a few. I'd definitely recommend riding a cable car, it's a really fun experience. Let me know if you have any questions or want any more recommendations. It's awesome up here, I think you'll have a fabulous time!
  • mizjohnston
    My husband I went when we were dating to see my family. We did something every day. Monterey an pebble beach the same day, (also did the aquarium, best in the country in my opinion). We took an open train ride through the redwoods. We went to San francisco, bridge, Alcatraz and the trolley ride was the highlight! All the way from the top to the fishermans wharf. The highlight of the whole trip was the drive to Big Sur. We went to the hurst castle spent the night locally and drove back so we could see a sunset, the most AMAZING views I have ever seen and I've been to Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Honduras, Belize, grand Cayman. Good luck and Congrats! Oh and a friend of ours has a business where you can bike ride through wine country, but that wasn't on our to do list.

Sounds like so much fun. Thank you :)
  • mizjohnston
    Congrats on your wedding! We love San Fran - so much to see/do.
    - A great restaurant is the Slanted Door.
    - Definitely do a city site-seeing bus to get a feel for the city and where you want to spend your time.
    - Saucilito is a nice place to visit for a few hours - right across the bay and a nice ferry or a drive across the Golden Gate bridge.
    - It's a very active city which you will love!

13877184.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Definitely will do all of this. Thank you. :)
  • mizjohnston
    I live in Marin County-20 minutes north of the city and close to Napa. I definitely recommend wine tasting/hot springs in Napa. It's beautiful and so romantic! Sonoma Mission Inn is pretty great if you decide to stay a night there. If you're heading from the city to Napa, stop in Sausalito (first city north of SF) for some coffee or a meal right on the water, its absolutely gorgeous. In SF: Golden Gate Park, Fisherman's Warf and the Piers (you must go to the Slanted Door, an amazing Vietnamese fusion restaurant with a great view of the bay), Union Square, China Town, North Beach just to name a few. I'd definitely recommend riding a cable car, it's a really fun experience. Let me know if you have any questions or want any more recommendations. It's awesome up here, I think you'll have a fabulous time!

Thank you. So many places. I am so excited. =)
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Bump! (I'm thinking about a very similar honeymoon!)