Realistic loss?

Options
So I started back on MFP on new years day. Don't know why I ever stopped last year.....love it!

Been under my calorie goal all week, doing 30 mins of cardio every day.

And I lost....2lbs.

Is it just me or is that a pretty crappy loss for my first week? I'm 150lbs and goal is 130. So I don't have a massive amount to lose. But I just expected better for my first week. 2lbs is a great loss.....for an average week, but not first week.

Advice?
xx

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Relax.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is excellent for any week.
  • 280to140
    Options
    Considering you don't have a lot to lose 2lb is a good amount to lose weekly, I am over 200lb and some weeks I only lose 2lb so don't worry :)
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    2lbs is great :) Sounds like you are doing well and you should be happy with the loss :)
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think 2lbs is awesome- 1st week or 12th week or 44th week
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I started back on MFP on new years day. Don't know why I ever stopped last year.....love it!

And I lost....2lbs.

Is it just me or is that a pretty crappy loss for my first week? I'm 150lbs and goal is 130. So I don't have a massive amount to lose. But I just expected better for my first week. 2lbs is a great loss.....for an average week, but not first week.

Advice?
    xx
    No, it's actually twice what you should expect.
    Set your goal for 1 pound of weight loss per week, and stop watching the "Biggest Loser" - the encyclopedia of what NOT to do.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    This is why I posted. To see if my expectations were realistic or not!

Thanks for replies :smile:

I'm enjoying my new lifestyle so don't mind keeping it up anyway.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Chill girl!!! 2lb is a great loss for the first week. Keep it up and it'll all be off in no time.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Lol @ biggest loser MaximalLife!
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Your body can only get rid of about 2 pounds of fat per week - so use that as guideline. You're probably not burning only fat, so 2 pounds is probably perfect if not too much.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm roughly 160, with a goal of 145. Working out, eating at my 500 calorie deficit, I'd be doing good to lose a pound a week.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

And I lost....2lbs.

Advice?
    xx
    Set your goal for 1 pound of weight loss per week, and stop watching the "Biggest Loser" - the encyclopedia of what NOT to do.

You know, I've never even seen Biggest Loser, I never felt like I was missing anything, but now even less so.
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! My physicans says you shouldn't try to loss but 2 lbs a week.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

And I lost....2lbs.

Advice?
    xx

You know, I've never even seen Biggest Loser, I never felt like I was missing anything, but now even less so.

We all need to remember that the contestants on the biggest loser are being closely monitored by medical personel and are not living regular lives while they are on the show. You shouldn't try to lose like they do unless you are being watched by a doctor closely.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    “I have had some patients who want to do the same thing, and I counsel them against it,” Dr. Burant said. “I think the show is so exploitative. They are taking poor people who have severe weight problems whose real focus is trying to win the quarter-million dollars.” - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/business/media/25loser.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all
  • rayleansout
    Options
    GREAT LOSS
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Lol @ biggest loser MaximalLife!
    You're doing GREAT - All will be possible for YOU!
  • LGOllie
    LGOllie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, what encouraging words! I have been feeling down today because I know that I have so far to go. My body still looks like a big brick! I always tried in the past to lose weight really fast, but this time, I know I need to keep it off, so I went for sensible and slow. It still is frustrating to know that it is going to take awhile before the weight loss shows!
    Anyway, I appreciate all the comments.