Does anyone else just...NOT get hungry?

Options

Replies

• TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm like this. I usually don't eat breakfast or lunch, and then have a very small snack-like dinner. I don't always lose weight because of this because of starvation mode. During swim season when I'm even more active than usual, either I or my parents will have to FORCE me to eat dinner (even just lettuce and an egg) so I don't pass out. When I do feel hungry, a couple bites of lettuce, a string cheese, or even gum makes me feel full right away.
  • TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be funny, but I do want to be real with you. You had to eat to gain weight initially. If your appetite has totally left, then something might be wrong. You might not want to eat a whole bunch of lettuce and grapes, but you mean to tell me you never want a milkshake? Maybe your appetite isn't being stimulated by what you are eating.

I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY!

I actually gained weight because of medication I was on for Bipolar Disorder, not because of overeating. And no, I don't ever want a milkshake, lol, I don't like them. I'd actually prefer the lettuce and grapes.

Therapist, and have Bipolar D/O and take the meds. The meds themselves don't make you gain weight. They overstimulate your appetite which makes you eat. That, paired with inactivity, causes the weight gain. No matter what medicine you are taking, you still have to eat above maintenance to gain weight. That being said, even if the medications are what caused you to have an increased appetite, you had to eat something at a high enough calorie level to gain weight. That would take A LOT of lettuce- grapes, maybe not so much because of the natural sugar content. Basically, it doesn't matter what your food preferences were and why you were eating, you ate to get to around 250.

Most people, with the exception of those with ED or histories of ED, get hungry. Hunger is a biological mechanism that our body developed to make sure we survive. It physically works in everyone, but sometimes, as in the case of ED, cognitive distortions block the signals. Also happens in some physical conditions.

Not saying you have an ED, but not getting hungry is abnormal. If it is a routine thing for you, you should see a professional and figure out what's up. If you don't figure out how to jumpstart your appetite, I believe you will find weight loss to be a futile effort. Your body isn't going to give up its stored energy (fat) if you aren't giving it more (calories).

True, however, unlike popular belief, people with EDs actually DO get hungry. Sometimes so hungry it triggers binges. However, it's a mental thing that you don't want to eat. Not just that you aren't hungry. Someone with an ED just learns to ignore, or do anything possible to suppress appetite, no matter how damaging (some start smoking for this reason alone). After a long period of fasting or restricting, someone with an ED will either feel LESS hungry (at least until they eat a normal sized meal), or so ravenously hungry that they end up binging.
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    I have to force myself to eat most days too, and I rarely get hungry. For me it is because of a health problem that until it was treated caused me a lot of pain if I ate very much. Smoothies are a good choice and so is peanut butter, they are healthy calorie dense foods. You will find something that works for you!
  • nicki_1004
    Options
    I have been the same way since I was 18 I was working 3 jobs and didn't have time. As soon as I finished 1 job I was off to the next. Most of the time I would only eat dinner, occasionally I would get something when I stopped for gas. There were times where I would go a couple days without eating and not realize it just because I was so busy. I spoke with my doctor recently about my weight and we discussed my eating habits she explained to me that this was a big contributor for me being overweight. She said that by not eating my body was in starvation mode and that when I did eat my body would hold on to it instead of burning it like it should because it didn't know when it would be fed again. She told me as crazy as this may sound if you force yourself to eat at least 3 meals a day you will lose weight. If you eat 3 meals with snacks in between you will lose more. Then she continued to say that if you add exercise to that you will lose the most. She said you basically need to "force" yourself to eat even if it is something little at first and build your way up. Since I have started doing this about a week ago I have found myself feeling hungry again if I haven't eaten for a while.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I have a similar problem. Prior to November 2011, I was consuming on average 500 calories a day. When I would eat a "normal" amount of food, of course I would gain. In the prior 12 months, I had gained over 12 lbs.

I really think my lack of hunger came from years of shift work as a nurse. I would go the entire shift on nothing but coffee, diet coke, and cigarettes.

I know my metabolism as really just slowed to a crawl. I'm working really hard to get my body back to a some what normal state. Because I don't get hungry, I just have a 100-200 calorie snack 4-5 times a day. My snack times are 7am- 10am-12 noon- 2pm and 4pm. I work 8 hours shifts now, and I eat dinner with my family. Normally my dinner is around 300 calories. I've had to realize I can't trust my body to know whadt it needs right now. So far in 4 weeks my weight is down 9lbs. My activity is moderate. (Zumba 2 times a week, and 30 day shred)

I will say that while I still have no hunger during the day, I am hungry at dinner time. I'm still setting an alarm at work to remind me it's snack time.

My typically snacks/ day time meals:,
    Matrix protein shake- 130 cals
    2 low fat cheese sticks
    Celery with peanut butter
    1/2 turkey sandwich
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    spinach salad
    tuna salad
    1/2 cup strawberries
    You get the idea, that are just small amounts of food that you can eat fairly quickly. There is not a lot of effort involved. This is important to me. It's hard to put a lot of effort into something that you really don't want to eat.
    Good luck!!!!
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    I have the same problem. I just don't feel hunger pangs. Everyone keeps telling me that I am not eating enough, but when I'm not hungry I don't want to eat. I am active and yet I still need to lose weight. I'm trying to make myself snack during the day and have prepared sliced carrots, celery, etc. to munch on...just trying to train myself. I understand your situation.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're 100 lbs overweight, you really may not need to eat many calories. You do need to get all the nourishment you need for the day as far as vitamins, protein and calcium. You need to get some carbs so your body makes insulin and can use your fat for energy. (If you don't eat carbs, the ketones you form from burning fat will kill your appetite, but your brain can't use ketones for energy.)

If you really want a healthy appetite, get outdoors and exercise in the cold air -- hike, rake leaves, bike, whatever. Swimming is good, too.

For those with persnickety children, the best time to introduce new recipes is on camping trips -- they'll be hungry enough that everything tastes good ;)
  • heyydanie
    heyydanie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be funny, but I do want to be real with you. You had to eat to gain weight initially. If your appetite has totally left, then something might be wrong. You might not want to eat a whole bunch of lettuce and grapes, but you mean to tell me you never want a milkshake? Maybe your appetite isn't being stimulated by what you are eating.

I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY!

I actually gained weight because of medication I was on for Bipolar Disorder, not because of overeating. And no, I don't ever want a milkshake, lol, I don't like them. I'd actually prefer the lettuce and grapes.

Therapist, and have Bipolar D/O and take the meds. The meds themselves don't make you gain weight. They overstimulate your appetite which makes you eat. That, paired with inactivity, causes the weight gain. No matter what medicine you are taking, you still have to eat above maintenance to gain weight. That being said, even if the medications are what caused you to have an increased appetite, you had to eat something at a high enough calorie level to gain weight. That would take A LOT of lettuce- grapes, maybe not so much because of the natural sugar content. Basically, it doesn't matter what your food preferences were and why you were eating, you ate to get to around 250.

Most people, with the exception of those with ED or histories of ED, get hungry. Hunger is a biological mechanism that our body developed to make sure we survive. It physically works in everyone, but sometimes, as in the case of ED, cognitive distortions block the signals. Also happens in some physical conditions.

Not saying you have an ED, but not getting hungry is abnormal. If it is a routine thing for you, you should see a professional and figure out what's up. If you don't figure out how to jumpstart your appetite, I believe you will find weight loss to be a futile effort. Your body isn't going to give up its stored energy (fat) if you aren't giving it more (calories).

Every person is different. I was never inactive. I did softball, I did soccer, I did karate 6 days a week, 1-1 and a half hours a day, I had a ridiculously active Lab that needed to be walked for at least an hour, twice a day. I was a waitress (doesn't sound like an active thing, but it definitely is) for 3 and a half years. The only time I was inactive was for a brief period about a year ago, and surprisingly I didn't gain any weight.

Not only that, but once I switched off that specific medication, my weight started to go down.

Not only that (again), but I was told by a doctor who I saw on a regular basis that there was an extremely high possibility that it had slowed down my metabolism and that was the reason for the weight gain.

Please, don't assume your situation is the same for everyone.
  • heyydanie
    Options
    If you're 100 lbs overweight, you really may not need to eat many calories. You do need to get all the nourishment you need for the day as far as vitamins, protein and calcium. You need to get some carbs so your body makes insulin and can use your fat for energy. (If you don't eat carbs, the ketones you form from burning fat will kill your appetite, but your brain can't use ketones for energy.)

If you really want a healthy appetite, get outdoors and exercise in the cold air -- hike, rake leaves, bike, whatever. Swimming is good, too.

For those with persnickety children, the best time to introduce new recipes is on camping trips -- they'll be hungry enough that everything tastes good ;)

I'm so picky and I totally never thought of the camping thing. I love camping. Definitely going to try that method!!!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    True, however, unlike popular belief, people with EDs actually DO get hungry. Sometimes so hungry it triggers binges. However, it's a mental thing that you don't want to eat. Not just that you aren't hungry. Someone with an ED just learns to ignore, or do anything possible to suppress appetite, no matter how damaging (some start smoking for this reason alone). After a long period of fasting or restricting, someone with an ED will either feel LESS hungry (at least until they eat a normal sized meal), or so ravenously hungry that they end up binging.

Appropriate correction, thank you. I re-read my post and did misspeak. The distortion sometimes causes one to ignore the feeling.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    On days that I exercise heavy and stay busy, my cravings are curbed, and if I don't watch it, I overdo it and miss a meal.
    I react to food binge triggers like parties, sporting events and boredom.

Me too - especially since doing the lower carb diet, which has taken away my cravings. I just am not hungry, and if I'm busy, I forget to eat.
  • Jnine25
    Jnine25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Being on MFP since October has FORCED me to eat. You would think that for someone so large I would be eating everything in sight. Not the case. I had absolutely no appetite.. or I'd eat nothing all day long and then finally right before bed I'd eat and all it did was tack on weight.

What I learned from being on here is that my metabolism WAS DEAD when I started. If you aren't getting hungry than you are NOT eating enough. Force yourself to eat. That is what I've had to do and now I *do* feel hunger again. If I start noticing that I'm not getting hungry I make sure to up my calories a bit. You will find that you will lose weight by eating more once you wake up your hibernating metabolism <3

Nichele

That's some great advice!!! Good job supporting this topic! I can only say I wish I didn't get AS hungry :-)
  • LovinLife96
    LovinLife96 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't want to read through alllll these posts, so sorry if someone has said this already... try eating "snacks" every two to three hours. If you have to, set an alarm on your phone. I work 12 hour shifts, so I bring lots of "munchies" with me (carrots, celery, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc), then I bring 2 meals, and I eat on every break (15 min breaks, I have a snack, and 30 min breaks I make a meal). If you aren't hungry on one of your snack times, drink a protein shake or eat a protein bar (there are a ton of recipes online to make your own if you don't want to spend the money in the store).

I am ALWAYS hungry now that I am back to eating healthy. I can't eat enough times throughout the day. I am full after eating whatever I'm eating, but within an hour or two, I'm hungry again.

I understand it's hard to "remember to eat" when you are busy (I work full time and go to school full time), but you have to figure out a way to do it. It's not healthy to go without eating all day (especially multiple days at a time!).
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options

:noway:

I'm not assuming that things are the same for everyone. What you appear to be saying is that you didn't eat, you were active, and meds alone made you get to 250lbs. I'm not a doctor, but that is bull****. If that *REALLY* happened to you, you need to go to the doctor because there is probably something broken in the tubes somewhere. You can take it however you want it, even leave it all behind, but the fact remains that HOWEVER you got to be 250lbs, not getting hungry, *ever*- which is what you claim, is NOT normal. The people who say it has happened to them as well have usually given a reason, and it was NOT a "normal" thing. They have also given you ways to work around it. They(and I) have suggested that you see a doctor.

Cause is irrelevant, you are now sitting nicely around 250 and not eating. What everybody is trying to tell you to HELP you (including me) is that if you don't find a way to eat, we hope you learn to love that extra weight. Your profile says you don't, your attitude says you actually might.

Your responses fall somewhere between immaturity, ignorance, arrogance, and distortion. I'm thinking either mental or physical problem, and by the looks of the other responses to your post, many other MFP members agree.

MY SITUATION IS NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE, NEITHER ARE THE SITUATIONS OF EVERYONE ELSE RESPONDING. We are trying to show you, by trend, that SOMETHING, is wrong with this picture.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Every person is different. I was never inactive. I did softball, I did soccer, I did karate 6 days a week, 1-1 and a half hours a day, I had a ridiculously active Lab that needed to be walked for at least an hour, twice a day. I was a waitress (doesn't sound like an active thing, but it definitely is) for 3 and a half years. The only time I was inactive was for a brief period about a year ago, and surprisingly I didn't gain any weight.

Not only that, but once I switched off that specific medication, my weight started to go down.

Not only that (again), but I was told by a doctor who I saw on a regular basis that there was an extremely high possibility that it had slowed down my metabolism and that was the reason for the weight gain.

No everyone is not different. Not a special snowflake darlin. :P Sounds like excuses to me. Eat too much = weight gain.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Eat calorie dense foods. Nuts, avocados, whole milk/cheese, olive oil on your pasta and such
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    lately? yes! having trouble eating my calories but i ate lots during the holidays so i hope it evens out lol
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    Sometimes I forget to eat too!!! My hubby thinks it's weird that I 'm never hungry ( I must be missing that hunger signal somewhere..........) I rarely get hunger pangs & I've never been overweight ( just trying to lose baby weight after the 4 baby) Everybody is different and that makes the world go around !!!! It's not nesssarily wrong....... just different( some people are hungry all the time & some are not)
  • heyydanie
    Options

:noway:

I'm not assuming that things are the same for everyone. What you appear to be saying is that you didn't eat, you were active, and meds alone made you get to 250lbs. I'm not a doctor, but that is bull****. If that *REALLY* happened to you, you need to go to the doctor because there is probably something broken in the tubes somewhere. You can take it however you want it, even leave it all behind, but the fact remains that HOWEVER you got to be 250lbs, not getting hungry, *ever*- which is what you claim, is NOT normal. The people who say it has happened to them as well have usually given a reason, and it was NOT a "normal" thing. They have also given you ways to work around it. They(and I) have suggested that you see a doctor.

Cause is irrelevant, you are now sitting nicely around 250 and not eating. What everybody is trying to tell you to HELP you (including me) is that if you don't find a way to eat, we hope you learn to love that extra weight. Your profile says you don't, your attitude says you actually might.

Your responses fall somewhere between immaturity, ignorance, arrogance, and distortion. I'm thinking either mental or physical problem, and by the looks of the other responses to your post, many other MFP members agree.

MY SITUATION IS NOT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE, NEITHER ARE THE SITUATIONS OF EVERYONE ELSE RESPONDING. We are trying to show you, by trend, that SOMETHING, is wrong with this picture.

No, I'm actually not saying that meds alone were the cause of my weight gain. I'm sorry if it appears that way. The medication I was on was a contributing factor, yes, definitely, but not the ONLY contributing factor. But, like you said, cause is irrelevant.

And I've said more than once, that *I AM EATING I AM EATING I AM EATING* (the frustration is not directed at just you, but for everyone who has posted insinuating that I'm not). I force myself to eat, because (again) I know I have to. My issue is not being hungry, not the lack of eating. I do eat. On a regular basis. Actually, I'm eating as I type. I ate earlier today as well. NOT EATING IS NOT MY PROBLEM (again, not directed at just you, so please don't take it that way). Not being hungry /is/.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    The people here really all want to be helpful. We all get worried when we think someone has weight to lose but isn't healthy in some way. We sometimes read "not hungry" as "not eating." I apologize for this error on my part.

Since you are eating but having a problem with feeling sick even with small amounts of food, have you thought about incorporating liquid calories? Instead of just water, try high calorie liquids too (fruit juice, protein shakes, etc) to see if the make you feel queasy as well. What is your daily calorie intake like? I think the concern that we all have is that even though you are eating, because it makes you kind of sick when you do, you may not be getting in *enough* calories.

My information is private too so I don't think you really need to show us, but evaluate it for yourself. If your appetite doesn't improve, seriously, get a check up.
  • heyydanie
    Options
    The people here really all want to be helpful. We all get worried when we think someone has weight to lose but isn't healthy in some way. We sometimes read "not hungry" as "not eating." I apologize for this error on my part.

Since you are eating but having a problem with feeling sick even with small amounts of food, have you thought about incorporating liquid calories? Instead of just water, try high calorie liquids too (fruit juice, protein shakes, etc) to see if the make you feel queasy as well. What is your daily calorie intake like? I think the concern that we all have is that even though you are eating, because it makes you kind of sick when you do, you may not be getting in *enough* calories.

My information is private too so I don't think you really need to show us, but evaluate it for yourself. If your appetite doesn't improve, seriously, get a check up.

See, this is the advice I was seeking, lol. I never thought about high calorie liquids. Protein shakes are too thick for me to drink, but maybe the fruit juice will work. Juice doesn't make me nauseous, so I should be fine with that. MFP says my caloric intake is supposed to be 1620, but I usually average around 1000-1200.