I need advice asap...

Options
So my family is up for the weekend. My mom is making tons of food. Shes making rachel ray's sloppy veg-head job sandwiches for lunch today.
The thing is, she didn't follow the recipe and changed it just a bit. I have no idea what all she put in it...she doesn't measure exact amounts and she threw all the cans and boxes away so I cant figure out how to calculate it. It's so delicious and I really want to eat some, but i don't know how to put it in my food diary.:ohwell:
I'm going to feel so bad bc I'm the vegetarian in the family and she could've just made regular sloppy joes if I end up not eating it. :ohwell: She got a little mad and said "well just eat a little bit of it, it's not going to hurt you". She doesn't understand that I have to log everything on MFP to the exact amount. This is WHY I'm on a diet lol. I feel bad now tho....what would you guys do in this situation?

Replies

• Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just eat it! You can guess the calories, you still need to be living real life! Situations like this are going to come up all the time, just make good choices throughout the rest of the day, and make sure to get some exercise.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Remember you aren't on a diet, its a lifestyle change :happy: And I'd say eat it but in moderation, you don't even have to have a whole one and put it on a whole wheat bun!

~Leash :heart:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Personally, if it was me I would eat 1 sandwich - enjoy the heck out of it and thank mom profusely. 1 sandwich isn't going to kill you. This really is not a diet - it is a lifestyle change and we have to be able to work in special things in our lifestyle. You probably aren't going to live the rest of your life not eating birthday cake or the occassional fattening treat. It's not the once in a while treat that does the damage - it's the 2 - 3 times a day treats that do the damage.

Log it the best you can - guesstimate the calories, take a nice walk and let it go!! You can still enjoy special food days - they don't have to derail you! :flowerforyou: And if you go over today - no sweat. It will help boost your metabolism. Just don't do it everyday!
  • mdebroy
    mdebroy Posts: 30
    Options
    I would eat it and calculate it the way it should be made but add on calories and fat (say 100 cals and 5 grams of fat as an example) then you most likely won't be off by much. For one day 50 calories and 1 gram of fat difference won't matter. As long as you don't do it a lot.
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi aliciakarver,

sadams hit the nail on the head. Life's too short. Just eat up and be happy.
    Guesstimate the calories, make adustments the rest of the day and the next too maybe
    and work-out a little xtra. . . . there are much worse things in the world than eating something yummy.

♥Karen
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    I personally think you're worrying a little too much about this one. Every once in a while (as long as we don't make it a weekly or daily habit) we're going to find ourselves in situations where we're a little unsure -- but you can't torture yourself over one meal. In fact, a lot of professionals recommend that one meal every so often (no more than one meal a week) be those things you normally wouldn't eat, just so you don't feel like a prisoner.

I allow myself one meal a month to eat absolutely anything I want in any amount and make sure I'm strict at all other times. Others I know who are equally successful eat a "bad" meal once every couple weeks...

Bottom line, this one thing is not going to ruin everything you're working for. Just do it in moderation, and allow it to be. Get back to the "norm" of your lifestyle after this and you shouldn't see any bad results.

One meal, one sandwich, one side of fries (the list can go on) never made anyone heavy or out of shape. It's doing those things repetitively over time that makes it horrible.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    i think if i calculated right it comes to about 800 some cals in one sandwich, not including the bread....yikes! You guys would still eat one sandwich that was 800 some cals? I guess I'll just go for a few walks throughout the day lol
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eat it and work out extra hard!
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    I completely agree with you. One day of eating ONE sandwich won't kill me...but it's memorial day weekend (friday, sat, sun and monday). I'm not as worried as you guys think I am. lol I'm not sitting here wigging out. I just needed some advice.
    The entire weekend my mom and gram will be making aTON of fatty foods and desserts. They get a little offended when I don't eat everything they've made. That's what I'm thinking about...not just the one veghead sloppy joe sandwich.
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    It can be a bit unnerving to be in that situation, but like everyone has said, some days you just have to let go, log off MFP, and live!!!
    It was my birthday yesterday, and I had dinner with my family and friends (bar-b-que):smile: and I decided instead of worrying and potentially ruining my day by worrying how much I went over my calories, that I'd just enjoy it, eat within reason, and move on to the next day!
    I think it's really important to find a balance between being diligent about logging and calories and also learning to live and enjoy treating yourself.
    Enjoy your day, enjoy the company you keep, and enjoy the food!
    If you need to log, get as close as you can!
    Take care!
    -OB
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has posted advice. Eat it (one bun), enjoy it and appreciate your mom for making a veg sandwich choice for you. *My* mom would probably say, "silly kelligirl, you *look* just *fine* - meat is *good* for you. Here, have another!" :laugh: Gotta :heart: those mothers! Get a little extra exercise and you'll be good to go! This is a positive lifestyle change; it shouldn't be an negative obsession. Have a positively wonderful family weekend! :drinker:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    thanks for helping me out. I guess I'll just eat everything (in moderation) for the next 4 days so I don't offend my mom or gram. I'll just have to go on a crap ton of walks/runs lol and estimate the amount of cals I'm eating. If they go over each day, oh well! It's just one weekend. :smile: Thanks for the support!:flowerforyou:
  • jdhall
    jdhall Posts: 76
    Options
    I completely understand! you can enjoy the food the whole weekend, but you must remember to stick with the right portions. If you think something is high in calories, eat a smaller portion. Then on Tuesday get back on track. If you have been doing this a while, as soon as your body tells you it is full, stop eating. Yea you will get more fats and carbs than normal, but do alittle bit of extra exercise and that will level everything out. Good luck with it and do enjoy visiting with your family! :wink:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    In regards to all the other foods.... maybe just have a *taste* of everything - that way no one gets offended (and I know how this can happen) you don't feel like you're completely missing out, but yet you aren't feeling guilty about going overboard either. Above all, enjoy that family. Mine is strewn between Beaver Island, Michigan and El Paso, Tx.... and I miss them all so much.
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it! :flowerforyou:
  • runner23
    runner23 Posts: 3
    Options
    Eat it and then workout how often do mothers come down and spend time and cook for you:smile: relax and dont stick to a diet. Drink plenty of water before eating and that way you won't have to eat the whole sandwich:tongue: enjoy and have a blessed holiday
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I agree, eat the vege sandwich small portion! but hold the line on the three day weekend! your family needs to support your choice to lose the weight. My hubbies family are all big people their Idea of entertainment is whats for the next meal, and who is cooking it? I am not going on vacation with him this year to see them because they just don't think it is a big deal and I am not going to eat all that "love" from them up and gain back all I have lost! Food is not love, support for your choices is love.
    Sometimes our eating habits come from our childhood eating habits. If you want to break old habits, make it clear, in a loving way that food is what you eat to live, not live to eat!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Eat it and just log it as the original receipe. It will be fine. Spend the weekend enjoying family and don't make it about the food.

One of the things about struggling with food and changing our eating habits is the fact that we always make every event about the food. Sometimes when we start eating healthy we continue that behavior by talking about our food plan constantly and making life all about the food.

Make sure you don't do that here. Make the weekend about family and enjoy them and the activities.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    How much is it without the bread? How about if you ate it open faced on only the bottom half of the bun?

Pick and choose what you feel you can eat - eat smaller portions, remember to drink a lot of water and don't let anyone sabotage what you're trying to do. I know it's hard when people get offended because we don't eat what they've made... but quite honestly, that's one of the ways that we got int the predicament of being overweight. Practice these phrases, "Since I started this new way of eating, I'm just not as hungry as I used to be." or "Wow, it looks really good and I would LOVE to have some - but honestly, I know that I can't limit myself to a reasonable portion of your potato salad, mom." or "I'll eat a little of it if you promise to take a walk with me first...." Put YOU first!

I agree that you have to live - but don't let it change your determination to stick to your goals!

Good luck!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I would eat the sandwich - maybe put a little less filling on it and use only 1/2 bun. Portion control here!! Since you have the whole weekend of goodies, I would use a little discretion - a sample of something here with some veggies and fruit - a little bit of this goodie there, more veggies. Enjoy your time - but you can use discretion in eating and still have fun. You don't have to eat every little thing they make, but you can enjoy some of it - play some games with the kids running around or take some walks, play some volleyball or whatever things go on with your family - but enjoy your time!!