Eating Exercise Calories

Options
Do you eat yours? All? Part?

Today I burned 740 calories exercising and the thought of eating all of those makes me uneasy. My diary says I have now only consumed 540 calories when I have actually eaten 1300. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• nicksaysnever
    Options
    I always eat at least some of them back - whether it is just some or nearly all depends on how hungry I am. I generally try to eat them back to within 200 of my goal if I burn more than 500 cals exercising. That gives me a bit of wiggle room if I've overestimated my exercise or underestimated my food.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of mine. You shouldn't go under 1200 net calories if that helps, but at least eat some back.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat back all mine. Sometimes I leave a hundred or so.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. All the time. I find it works best to reconcile all my calories burned to my calories eaten within 24-48 hours. Sometimes I eat extra calories in advance of an anticipated big burn so that I have stored energy for the event. Sometimes when I burn more than expected (like yesterday I rode 3 hours instead of planned 90 minutes), I used leftover calories to refuel today, on my rest day,

You don't have to starve to lose weight. In fact if you get used to starving, you'll have a harder time. Food is fuel. You exercise, you need fuel. If you don't net close to your BMR, how would you expect your body to function without brown-outs? Somethings gotta give. Your energy will give out first.

Why make it hard, people? eat!
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank You!!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Agree with everything SleepyTexan said! If you net below your BMR your body will have a hard time getting all the energy/nutrients it needs.