Calling all Shorties: Skip the Cardio, Pick up Weights

Options
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/5-weight-loss-tips-every-petite-woman-know-121220266.html

"Skip the Treadmill, Pick Up the Weights

Karas says cardio can actually cause petite women to gain weight because it increases their appetites. Instead, petite women should focus on strength training, which fulfills their cardio needs while also increasing their caloric burn, enhancing their posture and strengthening and flattening their core muscles."

Just curious if anybody focuses on weights more than cardio and if it really does make a difference?

I personally have always loved doing videos like 30 Day Shred and such with both in it or stuff like Turbo Jam/Tae Bo where it's mostly cardio. But with the new year I'm kind of replanning my strategy and I'm torn about what to do. I also have some Wii games which I LOVE doing that are mostly cardio.

I have some ChaLean Xtreme videos that I could do (though the heaviest weights I have are 8lbs and can't buy others right now) and I do have Bob Harpers Pure Burn, Super Strength video.

I'm more or less just wondering what has gotten good results for other shorties. Do you do more strength training then cardio and find that does make a difference

Replies

• sansonee
    Options
    I'm tall (5'9'') and have been told to pick up weights. It applies to everyone regardless of height b/c you need to build lean muscle all over and cardio isn't going to do that for you no matter how long or much you run/jog/etc. To get cardio and strength together try something w/ kettlebells! Classic kettlebell swings and sumo hops get the heart pumping and other exercises w/ them will help build muscle all over (depending on what you do of course). I attend a boot camp style fitness class and kettlebells are my favorite.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I do a mix - lift heavy (NROLW plans) twice a week, run 2-4x a week (depending on if I'm actively training for a race or not), and do yoga about 4x a week. (I'm 5'5")

(Edit to say - yes, it makes a difference. Here's my 6-month progress post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/agthorn/view/6-months-on-mfp-169606 I did a ton of cardio in the first picture. Lifting in the rest of the pictures)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Regardless of height - all will benefit from heavy strength training. :flowerforyou:
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bump. Looking forward to seeing if anyone actually answers your question. It's a good one!

5'4" here
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    I'm 5'1" tall. Weights are great and I do them twice a week. You should never skip cardio, though. It keeps your heart healthy.
  • estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I read that book too and wondered if I believe that about cardio. I use to run all the time and I can't say I lost a lot of weight or any for that matter. I am always hungry but i also workout like crazy but then i Have always maintained until i joined MFP now im down 2 pounds. I recently injured my leg so I was forced to stop running, instead I do spin and a Jackie Warner 30 DVD (similar to 30 DS) and lost 1 pound. I recommend you switch up ur routine and make your distinctions from there. I get so confused reading about what works for people and everyone's body is different. How much are you trying to lose? I'm not trying to lose a lot, so I really have to be disciplined and work out and track everything. Good look! Add me as a friend if you want, I just started and have 2 hahaha :flowerforyou:
  • Mamao7
    Mamao7 Posts: 79
    Options
    bump read for later.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I know that EVERYBODY benefits from weight training and I know not to give up cardio completely (I like it too much anyway) but I'm just wondering if it any other shorties have noticed a difference when they did MORE weights than cardio because right now I'm doing more cardio than weights. I know everybody's different but In just want experiences from other short people.
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    Do both but do your weights (heavy weights) before doing cardio. I have been at a plateau since august but have lost inches. I'm pretty sure it's due to the increase in muscle..Good Luck!
  • chicklidell
    Options
    I know that EVERYBODY benefits from weight training and I know not to give up cardio completely (I like it too much anyway) but I'm just wondering if it any other shorties have noticed a difference when they did MORE weights than cardio because right now I'm doing more cardio than weights. I know everybody's different but In just want experiences from other short people.

I agree with this to a degree....I have better results and success incorporating my cardio with my weight training. By that I mean no rest between sets...trust me it's a big time cardio workout! Heavy weight...superset it..bang it out...little to no rest...1 hour later and you look like you were caught in a torrential downpour. when I want to drastically cut weight quickly, I add in 45 minutes of regular cardio spaced at least 4 hours before or after my weight session. I'm 5'2 ...well almost..:laugh:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I am also 5'2" and have heard this as well. I just bought New Rules for weightlifting....soooo we'll see. I've always done weights but seem to have always done more cardio and apparently alot of cardio breaks down muscle and that's why no results? Just read this somehwere so I'm not a doctor...lol.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I agree with this to a degree....I have better results and success incorporating my cardio with my weight training. By that I mean no rest between sets...trust me it's a big time cardio workout!

Oh I'm not saying it's not a big time cardio workout. The cardio workouts I like to do just don't have weights. I know weights can be cardio but I have them separate in my mine. Doing weights with no rests between sets I still would consider it just weight training. I only consider something cardio if it's got something like dancing, jogging, jump rope, etc.
  • chicklidell
    Options

I agree with this to a degree....I have better results and success incorporating my cardio with my weight training. By that I mean no rest between sets...trust me it's a big time cardio workout!

Oh I'm not saying it's not a big time cardio workout. The cardio workouts I like to do just don't have weights. I know weights can be cardio but I have them separate in my mine. Doing weights with no rests between sets I still would consider it just weight training. I only consider something cardio if it's got something like dancing, jogging, jump rope, etc.

It's not just weight training at that point. you actually burn more calories weight trainnig in that manner then you do doing most forms of cardio.
  • SWilland
    SWilland Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If I may pose a question: When in your fitness journey should you incorporate weights? Right away? Closer towards your end weight loss goals?

I know i'm going to have to start lifting, I just don't know when I should start. I have about 45 more pounds to lose for my UGW.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm 1.57m & I do vigorous weight lifting 4 times a week & cardio only 2x a week.

While its true that focusing on weight lifting is very important in any fitness regimen but it doesn't apply to everyone. For some, they need a balance between cardio & weight lifting while others need more cardio than weight lifting especially for those people that has a lot of fat to lose. There are some people who naturally carry more body fat than others. It actually depends on your body type.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I"m 5'1 and I find for myself that doing both is the most effective way. I have a few days where I just do Strength a couple days of just Cardio (treadmill and Elliptical if I'm at the gym) as well as a couple days doing Cardio for a half hour after a 45-60min strength training session with my trainer. If I just do one or the other and not alternate between the two the scale will not budge.
  • grrlguide
    Options
    I have had excellent success with weight training. really pushing the weight, not light bells. the only area that hasn't seen significant chage is my middle. although my core is super strong I seem to retain a hunk of fat around the waist band and also on my back. for that I think I am going to have to start again on cardio, and drop five pounds.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If I may pose a question: When in your fitness journey should you incorporate weights? Right away? Closer towards your end weight loss goals?

I know i'm going to have to start lifting, I just don't know when I should start. I have about 45 more pounds to lose for my UGW.

Near the beginning. Once you can handle 30 minute workouts. Everyone needs more strength. This also helps in old age. :)
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Bump :)