Is there such thing has drinking too much water??

Options
Hi, I know the recommended amount of water is about 8 glasses per day...But I find myself drinking alot more than that..Is there such thing has drinking too much water?

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    There is, but you have to drink a lot in a short period of time. I often drink 12 cups in a day, especially when I have too much sodium. I've also heard that you're supposed to drink half your body weight in water ounces. So me being around 160 should drink 80 ounces of water, which is actually 10 cups. Hope that helps.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    yes, but its not likely you will reach it...its called water intoxification and is caused by hyponatremia (the dilution of sodium in the body)

however, the average kidney can process aboue 15 L of water a day, so most likely you're going to be fine, unles you sit and down a couple gallons at once, or are running a marathon
  • rudzud
    rudzud Posts: 24
    Options
    My apologies for hijacking the thread, but I did not want to create a new one under the same topic.

I too have this question, as I find myself drinking anywhere from 4-6 L of water a day. For what its worth, my job requires me to be on my feet alot, with a fair amount of walking and restraining of individuals. I drink roughly 3-4L over the span of 8 hours while at my job. Is this too much water consumption and can it affect my weight loss?