Mom with special needs child.

Options
busey
busey Posts: 39 Member
Hi my name is Nadia and I am a mom with a special needs child. Having a child with special needs, comes with much stress and with that there are times that I turn to food for comfort. I am celebrating my 25th wedding anniversary and would like to go on vacation with my husband and to feel good about myself. I hope I can find some motivatiors to help me through my journey of a weight loss of 15lbs. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but trust me with my life it is harder than you think.

Replies

• LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I applaud you. I understand, I taught special ed for 30 years. My son also has a very impaired 5 year old. I cannot even imagine all the stress. We need something to help us. I hope you are in a support group. I am glad you are taking a vacation. Enjoy!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadia! I'm a school psychologist and I work exclusively with kids with all kinds special needs. They are my absolute favorites and the joy of my job :) I can certainly understand how hard it could be with all the challenges you face daily. I'm sending you a friend request ... feel free to add me, if you want!
  • Bonniebigbutt
    Options
    My 8 yr old daughter has autism, trust me I know where you are. Between what you have to do for them and just everyday life you fall way down on the list. The weight for me is an everyday reminder of how much the work and stress keep me out of control inside. I am trying to put myself back on the list. I have way more than 15lbs to loose but I indentify with your struggle you can definately add me to your friends.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have a son with apraxia and it was very hard for me when he was little. He cried so much because he couldn't communicate at all and I just focused on him and forgot all about myself. I totally get where you're coming from. It can be really tough sometimes. Good luck on your weight loss, you can add me if you like. :)
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Nadia, please ignore the rude comments and focus on the support. Support is what people here are SUPPOSED TO BE giving, not totally rude, unfeeling comments.

It's not easy, but you do have to MAKE time for yourself or you'll go crazy. Congratulations on making it to 25 years with a special needs kid! Most of us don't accomplish that!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Hi! I work in a psychiatric hospital with kids with special needs... we work with these kids for months to change neg behavior. I can tell you I support parents 100%! I go home after every shift- don't get me wrong I LOVE my job- but I am exhausted. Parents do not get a break- plus they have to do the shopping, cooking, cleaning and family support. I applaud all the parents of special needs. Good luck on your weight loss!
  • fabat45
    fabat45 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of a child with special needs too. I can relate to what you are saying! There is definitely extra stress that comes with that and food is comforting for me at times too. I have learned that it is so important to make time for yourself to do things you enjoy, or to just have quiet time to give yourself a facial, pedicure, take a long bath, read a good book, whatever helps you relax and feel like a woman. Finding balance is tough, but it will help you in all areas of your life.
  • wvipersg
    Options
    I fully understand and add my support. You can do this, my wife and I raised our son with autism and it is very easy to use food as a form of comfort during stressful times you will have with a special needs child. Remember you have to stay motivated and focused and you will be able to do this and loose weight! Loosing weight is important, but remember to be healthy doing it. Also never underestimate the support you can get from family and even your special needs child. When they share in your success and you share in theirs it makes it all worth the effort.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I too have a special needs son and it is extremely difficult at times. My husband and I say that 90% of our parenting has gone to 25% of our children (we have 4 children). I have finally figured out that by turning to food I am only adding to the out of control feeling and have begun to find ways to stay consistent in heading towards my goals while still helping our son with what ever his needs may be at the time.
  • naia16
    naia16 Posts: 35
    Options
    i'm a board certified behavior analyst and have spent my career working with children with autism as well as adults with very challenging behaviors. it is very easy for parents to find themselves focusing all their time and energy on taking care of their children rather than taking care of themselves. i can sympathize with all the moms with special needs children and can completely understand how they may struggle themselves in order to make sure everyone else has their needs met. to the person that has been rude in this thread...your idiocy comes through quite clear in your statements and it's time you just hushed. to everyone else as well as the primary poster, continue to give your support. this is what we are here for. not to belittle others who have the courage to come on here and ask for it. good luck to you all! and many special blessings to your special children...whether you are the mom or the caregiver, teacher or friend.
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    good luck and may you be blessed always :)