How Yoga can wreck your body

Options
Ely82010
Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
Interesting article and although long, worth reading. I am sure that it will start a long discussion with negative and positive comments; well this is MFP after all. I do practice some yoga postures, but I agree that I have to be careful because they seem to aggravate weak areas, even when I am very flexible.

Just remember that I didn't write the article, so I am only the messenger so please don't shoot me. :cry:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html

This article is adapted from “The Science of Yoga: The Risks and Rewards,” by William J. Broad, to be published next month by Simon & Schuster. Broad is a senior science writer at The Times.

Editor: Sheila Glaser

Replies

• JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.

Its points seem to boil down to:

1) Neck stands and headstands can be potentially dangerous;
    2) Doing Yoga too forcefully can be dangerous;
    3) Using bad form / having poor instruction can be dangerous.

Personally, I rarely do anything like that in my practice - it's mainly just lots of standing, seated and lying work. And while I push myself, I do so in a gentle, gradual manner - I certainly don't approach it as if I must beat my personal best or anything.

I think he raises some valid points, but one has to bear in mind that the article itself says that of the millions of people who now do Yoga they are only seeing scores of people with injuries - that is a tiny amount. Hell, something like 40 people a year injure themselves doing things like trying to iron their trousers whilst wearing them (I kid you not!). Good tuition, good form and an awareness of your body (and its limitations) make much of what this article says redundant IMO.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    One of my yoga instructors read this article and said it would have been more accurately titled "How Ego Can Wreck Your Body." Yoga is only a tool, and it can be used or misused like pretty much anything else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    One of my yoga instructors read this article and said it would have been more accurately titled "How Ego Can Wreck Your Body." Yoga is only a tool, and it can be used or misused like pretty much anything else.

yep
  • djncb23
    djncb23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above comment. I am a yoga instuctor also and you have to be mindful of your own body as with any exercise regimen...
  • jaimealison
    Options

Exactly, I do Yoga twice a week and my instructors always reiterate that listening to your body is key and not pushing past your limits, everyone is different in their practice!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    ANY exercise regimen can wreck your body if you don't do it correctly, go beyond your limits, and aren't suited for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options

^^This^^

When you truly practice yoga, you check your ego at the door before you get to the mat. Most people are accustom to competing with their "neighbor" or keeping step with the instructor. The only competition in yoga is with yourself, a good yoga instructor will ALWAYS tell you that it is not about pain, there may be mild discomfort but NOT PAIN and there is always a modification for every pose and when you get tired go to childs pose.

Yoga is an on going learning process, each class you go to is different depending on how you feel and your energy. It's not yoga that hurts people it's the ignorance of people thinking they can walk in the rooms, sit on a mat and do a headstand, or they can touch their toes because the other people are doing it.

I see it everyday and it is really sad because articles like this come out and are pass on. The meaning of yoga is about live in the moment and listen to YOUR body, for a lot of people it isn't just a workout - it's a lifestyle. Most people think - "wow, that's the workout that Jennifer Aniston does and look at her body, I wanna do that".

Sometimes a message can stay in the bottle.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I found this. I am aware (now) of Hypermobility in my own body - very flexible hips, yet a pose I did at "Body Balance" (which may as well been a yoga move) I had no awareness my hip joint was going beyond where it should have and the 'pop' happened to me.

So much for flexibility ! Something to do with impaired proprioception.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree it's all ego and care. It's kind of like how people criticize how Jillian Michaels DVD's cause too many injuries. Be careful people! Don't overdo it! Listen to your body. I guess it's easier said then done?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    ANY exercise regimen can wreck your body if you don't do it correctly, go beyond your limits, and aren't suited for it.

^^ THIS!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Amen. . I love my yoga!!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

This!!! Yoga is a great tool and should be done with care!!!!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options

^^This^^

When you truly practice yoga, you check your ego at the door before you get to the mat. Most people are accustom to competing with their "neighbor" or keeping step with the instructor. The only competition in yoga is with yourself, a good yoga instructor will ALWAYS tell you that it is not about pain, there may be mild discomfort but NOT PAIN and there is always a modification for every pose and when you get tired go to childs pose.

Yoga is an on going learning process, each class you go to is different depending on how you feel and your energy. It's not yoga that hurts people it's the ignorance of people thinking they can walk in the rooms, sit on a mat and do a headstand, or they can touch their toes because the other people are doing it.

I see it everyday and it is really sad because articles like this come out and are pass on. The meaning of yoga is about live in the moment and listen to YOUR body, for a lot of people it isn't just a workout - it's a lifestyle. Most people think - "wow, that's the workout that Jennifer Aniston does and look at her body, I wanna do that".

Sometimes a message can stay in the bottle.

THIS!! Couldn't have said it better! People need to check their ego at the door and do whatever feels RIGHT! :)
  • jedinight32
    Options

^This. Leave the ego....listen to your body.
  • csricci
    Options
    I totally agree with listening to your body and checking the ego at the door. Unfortunately, as a yoga teacher, I can tell you that no matter how much I say "listen to your body" some people either don't or don't know how. A lot of people don't have the awareness to even know they are bringing ego onto the mat. Building that inner awareness is key. Learning to hear what the body is saying and knowing the difference between the 'pain' of 'I haven't used these muscles in a while' and the pain of 'I'm overdoing it' takes time. I choose not to teach headstands and some of the other more advanced postures because of that very reason. Listening to the body requires getting quiet and getting out the head/ego and that can be really scary for a lot of people because then emotions have room to surface. So much easier to stay in the monkey mind than feel the emotions stored in the body that come out in the postures,

I think the article had valid points AND was unfortunately un-balanced to a degree - so many people in this country have missed the whole point of yoga and have focused only on the asana (postures) part of yoga. There is so much more to it. We've turned it into not only exercise, but a competetive sport! Just like anything if it's overdone or misguided of course people can get hurt. Fortunately there are also people who 'get it' and have really positive results and life changing experiences.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    *****Building that inner awareness is key. Learning to hear what the body is saying and knowing the difference between the 'pain' of 'I haven't used these muscles in a while' and the pain of 'I'm overdoing it' takes time. I choose not to teach headstands and some of the other more advanced postures because of that very reason. Listening to the body requires getting quiet and getting out the head/ego and that can be really scary for a lot of people because then emotions have room to surface. So much easier to stay in the monkey mind than feel the emotions stored in the body that come out in the postures......There is so much more to it. We've turned it into not only exercise, but a competetive sport!*******

**Fortunately there are also people who 'get it' and have really positive results and life changing experiences.***

Perfectly stated CSRICCI, Thank you!!

:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the comments here. I'm also a yoga teacher. I do teach headstand and shoulderstand in my classes, but I only teach them to students that are ready.

BTW, there's a yoga group for anyone that would like to join:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group