Options
2»

Replies

• sansonee
    Options
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    For the past 1.5 yr I've only done cardio. I didn't belong to a gym and worked out at home. Buying weights just wasn't a priority. 2 weeks ago I joined a gym and have been doing equal amounts cardio and weight machines 5 days/week. Typically I'll run one day for ~35 min, then do upper/lower body weights for 35 min. The next day I'll do elliptical or stationary bicycle for 35 min, then do abdominal and hip weight machines for 35 minutes. It's only been 2 weeks and I can see a significant difference in my body.

I've been on a plateau since late July. I still haven't lost any weight. But I did lose an inch off my waist and hips.

I'm only 4'10 1/2" if that makes a difference. I'm not sure if doing cardio makes me hungrier. I think I'm just naturally hungry.
  • sansonee
    Options
    You don't need answers from only shorties if you know that strength training benefits people in general. You already have the answer!!! YES, of course it will. Why wouldn't it?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, cardio increases my appetite (I'm a quarter inch shy of 5'4"), but I can still stay within my calories for the day because I know how to plan. I don't worry about it too much. I do lift 3-4x week either way!
  • sansonee
    Options
    You should take your measurements and/or get a body fat calculator scale or handheld device. I'm losing more inches than lbs right now and I definitely know that I'm heading the right direction as per my trainer.
  • sansonee
    Options
    !
  • sansonee
    Options

I agree with this to a degree....I have better results and success incorporating my cardio with my weight training. By that I mean no rest between sets...trust me it's a big time cardio workout!

Oh I'm not saying it's not a big time cardio workout. The cardio workouts I like to do just don't have weights. I know weights can be cardio but I have them separate in my mine. Doing weights with no rests between sets I still would consider it just weight training. I only consider something cardio if it's got something like dancing, jogging, jump rope, etc.

It's not just weight training at that point. you actually burn more calories weight trainnig in that manner then you do doing most forms of cardio.

I second that! You need to do both no matter what! I work w/ a trainer 4x's a week in a group format and there are short, average, and tall people doing cardio workouts w/ weights...often supersets w/ little to know rest and I go home sweating. Building lean muscle will help you burn fat....using weights separately or together w/ cardio. Just get those weights out!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have decided to do measurements only until my birthday in April.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Bump