1lb ground beef to feed 5???

Options
richmondcowgirl
richmondcowgirl Posts: 137 Member
I need to make a pound of ground beef feed 5 people (including 2 teenage boys so more like 9 people). I need ideas on things that are healthy and good tasting.

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I dont really know what advice to give other than to pad it out with heaps of beans, tomato and other veg and make a chilli like dish.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I bought a pound of ground today. Half went into a pot of chilli with lots of beans and veg. The other half is for spaghetti sauce tomorrow night. I could have easily fed 9 if I'd used it all in the chilli and upped the beans and veg.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    chili or spaghetti.
    sometimes i make a dish with ground meat, rice, black eyed peas and green beans... mix it all together with some lemon pepper and top with some cheese.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This requires you to buy something else... but if you cook lentils (which are super cheap and healthy) and add them to cooked ground beef nobody can tell the difference and you've bulked up your ground beef.
  • youcandoitjess
    Options
    chili or spaghetti.
    sometimes i make a dish with ground meat, rice, black eyed peas and green beans... mix it all together with some lemon pepper and top with some cheese.

This is a good idea. Chili with a lot of fillers like beans, peppers, etc... Or you could do a shepherds pie... It's not SUPER healthy, but it'll be filling.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sloppy joes? This is my version:

1 tbsp ketchup to each 4 oz of meat, along with oregano, pepper, LOTS of cumin, thyme, sage, and garlic powder. Just add to taste, but use the most of cumin (it gives it that taco meat flavor). Then serve it on top of steamed rice or whole wheat buns. It's so tasty, I LOVE it and eat it often. Requires few ingredients, so it's cheap!
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You can mix it up with rice and lots of veggies and soya sauce.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti.... Or meatliaf cupcakes & some sides.(Google them)
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When I make sloppy joes (or spaghetti sauce, or chili) I add finely grated zucchini. It stretches the meat, and sneaks a veggie in as well.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Definitely chili or spaghetti! Or you could find another soup which uses ground beef... vegetable beef soup? Here's another recipe my family loves that calls for a pound of ground beef (which we always sub turkey for). It makes a 9x13 pan. Please note that the nutrition information is not correct -- I put it through MFPs nutrition analyzer and it is about double the calories the website it is on says.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/healthy-enchilasanga-casserole
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    use the chili idea, but then serve it as tacos. that way you pad it out further with the taco shells, cheese and other condiments.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Mix with macaroni (2.5-3 cups of uncooked pasta) and cheese. You can choose to add onions, red and green bell peppers, celery, and garlic as well. Usually makes about four heaping platefuls for four people (my family), but I'm sure that can be stretched to five with no problem.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I just made Shepherd's Pie!!
    1 lb lean ground beef
    Veggies- I use corn, green beans, carrots and peas
    1 can french onion soup
    2 packets of instant mashed taters (or you could use real ones. They can make it too watery, though).
    Worcestershire sauce if you like
    Cheese and gravy if you prefer.

Brown beef in pan and add can of french onion soup or just plain onions and dash of Worcestershire sauce. Don't add water.
    Let simmer and drain any excess
    Add in veggies. Let simmer.
    Add to baking pan. I use a 13x9 pan. Even out and add on the mashed potatoes. Making little peaks in them.
    Cook in 350 degree oven for 20 ish minutes. Just to brown the mashed potatoes a little. Add cheese on top at very end of cooking.
    Let set and serve.
    I like to add brown gravy to mine on top :)

When I make it this way, makes 9-12 pieces.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you're on Facebook check out Surviving and Thriving on Pennies. A friend of mine feeds her family of 6 a mostly organic diet on $50/week and blogs/posts about it. This means she often stretches meat. I'm not good at it but, I marvel at her ability on a regular basis.
  • breesensei
    Options
    I just made Shepherd's Pie!!
    1 lb lean ground beef
    Veggies- I use corn, green beans, carrots and peas
    1 can french onion soup
    2 packets of instant mashed taters (or you could use real ones. They can make it too watery, though).
    Worcestershire sauce if you like
    Cheese and gravy if you prefer.

Brown beef in pan and add can of french onion soup or just plain onions and dash of Worcestershire sauce. Don't add water.
    Let simmer and drain any excess
    Add in veggies. Let simmer.
    Add to baking pan. I use a 13x9 pan. Even out and add on the mashed potatoes. Making little peaks in them.
    Cook in 350 degree oven for 20 ish minutes. Just to brown the mashed potatoes a little. Add cheese on top at very end of cooking.
    Let set and serve.
    I like to add brown gravy to mine on top :)

When I make it this way, makes 9-12 pieces.
    sounds tasty I will try this ;)
  • leannmanderson
    Options
    I suggest mixing it with rice and serving with some salad on the side.

1BTW, xoxmalsxox-

I make traditional shepherd's pie a lot because my husband and I are both of Scots-Irish descent. The traditional recipe is close to yours, but without the french onion soup.

1 lb ground beef
    Brown gravy
    2 cups mashed potatoes
    Some minced up onions, carrots, and peas

Cook the ground beef. Add in the onions to brown them, and then add in the carrots and peas. Mix well.
    Put into a casserole dish and pour the gravy over the top.
    Top with the mashed potatoes.
    Sprinkle the top with some paprika and bake at 350 degrees until the top crust turns brown.
    Serve piping hot.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Make Burgers.

1 pound ground beef
    1 egg
    1 cup bread crumbs
    Any herbs+ spices you want

Make into 5 patties, cover in plastic wrap and put in fridge for half an hour before cooking.
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I stretch my husband's ground beef with textured vegetable protein. You just rehydrate it at a 2:1 ratio and it's good to go. I mostly use it in things like lasagna, spaghetti sauce--it's really good texture-wise. You can use anything to rehydrate it, but I've had good luck with veggie or beef broth. I tend to rehydrate a lot at once, then chill what I don't use, separate it into baggies and freeze it for later. It's like the super expensive soy crumbles, but way less expensve!

I get the TVP super cheap in the bulk bins at our local natural food store. :)
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ground beef with black beans makes a superb filling for tacos. You can add as many beans as you need to feed your group. Plus the beans add more protein.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do this ground turkey but I'm sure beef would work too:

1 lb ground meat
    1 onion
    3 c whole.mushrooms (or tomatoes, any veggie is fine)
    1 bell pepper
    7 - 10 cups cooked brown rice

Saute the veggies in olive oil or cooking spray. I add garlic powder, but it's not necessary. Cook the rice in a pot and brown meat in a pan with whatever seasoning. At the end mix meat, veggies and rice together on each plate and grate cheese into each serving, letting it melt... I serve with a side of veggies and you've got a 4 veggie/1 proteun/1 healthy carb meal!