Needing Motivation

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
Hey, I have been on the site for approximately 3 months, and during that time, I lost 30 pounts. The main reason I think was because I was in a Biggest Loser competition, which i won as a result of almost constant calorie counting and working out 5-6 days a week.

However, since the contest ended on April 26th, I have found very little reason to watch what i eat and hve little energy to get up and go the gym now, and have found that I have put almost 10 of the pounds that I lost back on. Is this normal? If so, what can I do to get remotivated? If not, what is wrong with me?

Please help!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been on the site for approximately 3 months, and during that time, I lost 30 pounts. The main reason I think was because I was in a Biggest Loser competition, which i won as a result of almost constant calorie counting and working out 5-6 days a week.

However, since the contest ended on April 26th, I have found very little reason to watch what i eat and hve little energy to get up and go the gym now, and have found that I have put almost 10 of the pounds that I lost back on. Is this normal? If so, what can I do to get remotivated? If not, what is wrong with me?

Please help!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad:

We all lose motivation from time to time. What about trying to start another challenge. There are alot on here. I saw one the other day for a "july 4th challenge'. Maybe that would help?

Maybe you need to think over the reasons you want to lose the weight and concentrate on that...getting healthy, doing more...whatever the reason is. Focusing on that might be what you need to overcome the "after-challenge blues".

Good luck!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I would suggest signing up for a 5K or some other competitive event. I'm in training now for one, and I'm far more motivated by the thought of finishing the race faster than by the amount of weight I'll lose.
  • kitty_cat023
    Options
    plus, you worked really hard to lose all that weight, do you really want to throw it all away? and then have to go through it all again? even if you're not losing weight for a time, just don't let yourself gain, it's just not worth it...
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options
    Hey Valqis,

Personally I can very much understand doing great in a competition and then letting off. I'm going to guess much like myself you are very competitive and when you don't feel challenged by others you simply aren't as interested. I know this has historically been very true of myself. The key is slightly changing your mindset and competing against yourself, set yourself a goal and hold yourself accountable. If I'm on the mark here then yo are the kind of person that has no problem stepping up when others are watching but you have to learn the self-disipline to apply the same mindset during other times as well.

Hope this was helpful.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am going through the exact situation. :cry: It is hard for me to maintain certain things without outside influences sometimes. :noway: I actually just ordered the 30 day jump start biggest loser book and am going to start that soon. (anyone else want to too?) I am going to give myself a reward for following through. The best thing I have found in the past is to set up mini goals and reward myself for accomplishing them. I have been rewarding myself at 5 lb increments but I am realizing that I need to reward myself for the actions I take not for the results of those actions. So I am going to reward myself with an Ipod after I complete the 30 day jumpstart--which will naturally take me down that next 5+ pounds. Hope that makes sense. Maybe all you really need is an extra influence to continue on. Some people pay themselves for working out and eating right--a dollar a day for exercising wouldn't be bad, if you can afford it. Or you can use the extra things that you want to get, but don't need right away. Anything can work if you want it :wink: Good luck--you just need to figure out what works for you and all will be fine. :bigsmile: