My scale--can I trust its measurements?

Options
I adore my scale. Wait, did I actually say that?! Seriously, I like it a lot. It's a Conair Weight Watchers digital scale and it is much more consistent than my old analog one. It says that it can measure body fat in both pounds and as a percent, water weight, bone mass and BMI. Can I trust these measurements? Can a scale really measure these things? I would like to rely on a tape measure more than my scale, but I don't really know where exactly to measure!! (I mean, I know to measure my hips, thighs, bust, etc., but where to I put the tape measure?!)

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I personlly rely on a scale to accurately measure body fat. Use calpers, or just measure yourself like you said.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Fat to Fit Radio has great body fat tools.
    Pretty accurate stuff!

I only weight once a month though.
  • Cougar7279
    Options
    The best a scale can do it tell you how much you weigh! It's one tool in our toolbox. I'd use the tape measure and fat calipers along with it and keep a log.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It gives you an idea your heading in the right direction, even if they fluctuate when you get on them consecutive times.

My range was 12st 3 to 12 st 13, mostof time I'd get 12 st 7.... Now I get 9st 13- 10st 6, the newer Kg scales I got (and wii fit) weigh's me in at 10 st 2.

I look forward to the day the fluctuations are all in the 9st range! :laugh:
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For me if I had just relied on the scale I would have given up

I don't lose much in pounds, I build a lot of muscle
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I adore my scale. Wait, did I actually say that?! Seriously, I like it a lot. It's a Conair Weight Watchers digital scale and it is much more consistent than my old analog one. It says that it can measure body fat in both pounds and as a percent, water weight, bone mass and BMI. Can I trust these measurements? Can a scale really measure these things? I would like to rely on a tape measure more than my scale, but I don't really know where exactly to measure!! (I mean, I know to measure my hips, thighs, bust, etc., but where to I put the tape measure?!)
    Don't trust the lying b@$t@rd! Trust the handy-dandy tape measure! Sure, the scale tells you how much weight you lost, but does not track muscle to fat ratio, inches lost, etc! If you are doing weight training in any form, pull out the tape...you will do soooo much better mentally! Also measure by your pant size too!!! For every size lost that is a GOAL HIT!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Yes, but double check those with body measurements.

You can do that here for free:
    Body Fat
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love my scales too - they're one of those digital sets that send a little electrical pulse through you to check body composition. However, I never assume it's right as a figure, I simply chart progress in relation to previous readings. I also take my weight with a pinch of salt as it really can't tell what's going on inside. So I use my set as a motivator rather than anything else. I also measure myself once a week (doesn't matter exactly where, so long as you do it in the same place each time!) but even thoat isn't totally accurate due to water retention and TOM, etc. I think the best measure is how you feel and how your clothes fit in the long term, I measure it by which sets of work trousers I can get into :o)