I HATE FISH.

Options
Jamie145
Jamie145 Posts: 164 Member
OK EVERYONE HAS TOLD ME,AND I HAVE READ THAT FISH IS SO GOOD FOR U. I CANT STAND IT. IS ANYONE IN THE SAME BOAT AS ME? AND HAVE RECOMMENDATIONS SO I CAN ALEAST HAVE SUM FISH ONCE A WEEK.? THANK U :)

Replies

• TJStephens
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I don't have any suggestions, but am hoping someone out there can give both of us some advice.Good luck.
  • pandabear_05
    pandabear_05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to hate fish, too! But I recently found two types that are very mild tasting and easy to prepare. Tilapia and Hake. We get them from Schwans but I'm sure they're in just about any store. Just plain frozen fillets...

We like to drizzle olive oil in a frying pan over med/low head and place thawed fillets (pat dry with paper towel first) in it. Squeeze a fresh lemon or lemon juice and black pepper (fresh cracked pepper is best). Saute on both sides until it's opaque and easily flakes with a fork. You don't want to over cook it though as it will get tough.

It's soooooo good! I promise! And very simple and fast to make. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If you hate fish, then why eat it IF there are other options. Chicken and beef are fine if cuts are lean and you don't consume too much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. Cauliflower is good for me too, but I'm not gonna touch it. Any nutrient found in fish can be found in other foods.
  • Blueeyed1985
    Blueeyed1985 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also despise fish. I wish I liked it though.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. Cauliflower is good for me too, but I'm not gonna touch it. Any nutrient found in fish can be found in other foods.

Couldn't agree more. Especially with the Cauliflower.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Don't eat food you hate. You could pop fish oil supplements if you wanted. Taste nothing (except via burp:frown: )
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I LIKE FISH
  • themooseyfate
    Options
    I agree that tilapia is a very mild tasting fish. really any fish that has the skin removed before being cooked will be less fishy. you could make yourself used to fish taste by eating seaweed. I used to hate the taste but now I can't get enough sushi, acquired taste.
  • leavingfat
    leavingfat Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not super into fish, but tilapia is okay. Especially with the right marinade.

My best friend makes one that's spicy and lime-y. (I wish I could remember what's in it! If it wasn't 1:22am here, I'd call and ask her.) My mother in law made one that was lemon-y and herb-y a few weeks ago that was pretty good too. I think MIL foil bakes it and I can't remember how Kim does it.

But yeah, tilapia is pretty much the only fish I'll eat.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, just take fish oil
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I LIKE FISH

ME TOO!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I love fish but both my brothers hate it. My suggestion is just to choose mild types of fish (I saw someone suggest tillapia, I find that it often has a slightly odd taste that I don't like; I'd definitely suggest halibut or flounder, though, very flaky nice white fish, cod and catfish are also nice and mild but have a slightly different taste, which you may like more or less). Then make sure not to overcook them, because that will make the taste stronger. If you steam it, the flavor will remain mild while the fish gets cooked thoroughly and becomes flaky. Otherwise you can put it in a pouch with some vegetables and lemon like alton brown showed on his show once.

Another way to go is to use canned or pouched tuna and salmon to get your fish. You can make fairly healthy salmon patties and tuna salads (heh, if you're feeling brave, a great way to counter the tuna-y taste in tuna salad is to put some canned peaches in it, it's really, really good, not fishy tasting, and you don't even have to have the bread at that point, just use a half canned peach as a bowl).

If you don't like it after the suggestions, though, I wouldn't worry about it. There are ways you can get similar nutrients without including fish in your diet.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I LOVE FISH!
    I HATE MEAT.
    Try some Tilapia. Butter/oil/pan fifteen minutes, done. I sometimes put cheese on it. ;x
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't really like ANY seafood! Shrimp is my only exception. No matter what I do, I just can't get into the idea of eating any of it. The smell alone just throws me completely off :/
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    No recommendations on how to have it. Nothing on earth is potent enough to cover the universally bad taste of seafood.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any seafood at all. Just can't stand the texture and nothing hides that. So, I don't eat it :-) There are plenty of deliciously healthy foods out there without having to eat something you don't enjoy!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Sushi makes my world go round.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any seafood at all. Just can't stand the texture and nothing hides that. So, I don't eat it :-) There are plenty of deliciously healthy foods out there without having to eat something you don't enjoy!

I agree, I don't like seafood either, I just take an Omega 3 supplement.
  • Neshapany
    Options
    instead of eating fish, why not just eat the fish oil supplements? haha