I need advice on how to tone this area right here...see pic

Options
I picked out my wedding dress and I love the dress. And I love the way it makes me feel. However, I do not love the bulge at the top and the way my arms look. I know you can't see in this picture, but my arms look really big from the side. I want to tone this area before my wedding in May. What can I do to really tone that up?

I have up to 5lb free weights at home.
I'm willing to join a gym for a few months for toning and can continue my cardio at home.

In the midst of this toning, I am hoping to lose at least 15-20lbs in the next 5 months. I would love any advice that you've got to offer me! This is my first stab at posting a pic and while I'm proud of this because I've already lost 25lbs, I'm also aware that I still have work to do.

Thanks!!

dress1.jpg

Replies

• roozombie
    roozombie Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try pushups-they will help tone your chest and shoulders and there are variations that can work your triceps. You also might just google arm strength training and find some sample videos of exercises you can do with dumbbells at home.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I ordered my dress yesterday and it is also strapless. I need to tone the same areas as you, plus my back (it buldges over the dress a little). I'm going to do plenty of push ups and I just started 30 day shred which feels like it will be good for those areas.
  • bghere
    bghere Posts: 42
    Options
    What a pretty dress. So by tone do you mean accentuate? Two ways that I know of. Diet number one, but the rule of,our fat is always first on last off, or you can work out the muscle group, and enlarge the muscles there, and that may help also. Cheers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and stay in calorie deficit. 5lb weight won't do it, so don't waste your time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • happybrooke
    Options
    Lift heavy and stay in calorie deficit. 5lb weight won't do it, so don't waste your time.

IDEA Fitness member

Ok, so if 5lb won't do it - then what do you suggest? I have a shattered wrist injury from almost 2 years ago that has left behind some nerve damage. I can do push ups but not much more than 20-25 before my wrist starts hurting from the pressure at that angle.
    I was under the impression that I should go light on the weights and just do more of them, but you are suggesting liting heavy. Can you give me more detailed advice? Any exercises in particular that will/won't work?
  • happybrooke
    Options
    Try pushups-they will help tone your chest and shoulders and there are variations that can work your triceps. You also might just google arm strength training and find some sample videos of exercises you can do with dumbbells at home.

I have done some internet research..but I take that resource lightly since it isn't always accurate. The pushups are on the list though! Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Uhmanduh
    Uhmanduh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem! I did lots of yoga and it helped me out quite a bit!!! LOVE YOUR DRESS BY THE WAY!!!
  • happybrooke
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I ordered my dress yesterday and it is also strapless. I need to tone the same areas as you, plus my back (it buldges over the dress a little). I'm going to do plenty of push ups and I just started 30 day shred which feels like it will be good for those areas.

Exciting, isn't it?! my back is a trouble area too. And of course the back of the dress has some sort of fancy emphasis going on, so people will be noticing if the bulge is present there too!! I totally forgot about the 30 day shred! I own that too, somewhere in my collection. I should dust it off and see what Jillian can do for me! Thanks for bringing that up! Good luck on your efforts too and congrats!!
  • aquamarine_lady
    Options
    I recommend Slim Sculpt and/or Skinny Sculpt workout DVDs from Ellen Barrett. They will tone up that area in no time and leave you feeling energized rather than worn out. Do them with 2-3 pound dumbbells, and you'll see great results in just a few weeks. You can read about them on Amazon or Collage.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very specific, and a lot of women here follow their guidelines.

Also, nerdfitness.com has a lot of useful info.

Before I started lifting heavy (just recently) I saw results from lifting moderate (up to 12.5 dumbbells) with Nike Training Club, an ipod app.

You can do a lot with diet alone, these other ideas will just enhance that.
  • happybrooke
    Options
    i had the same problem! I did lots of yoga and it helped me out quite a bit!!! LOVE YOUR DRESS BY THE WAY!!!

Thank you :happy:
    I am so stinkin' happy about the dress! I always feel awkward in dresses and was so worried about my wedding dress, but this fits like a T!

Yoga? I have never done yoga, but a friend of mine has been wanting me to go take a class with her. I didn't think about that being beneficial. Thank you so much! Sounds like I should give it a try. How often did you do it?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ok, so if 5lb won't do it - then what do you suggest? I have a shattered wrist injury from almost 2 years ago that has left behind some nerve damage. I can do push ups but not much more than 20-25 before my wrist starts hurting from the pressure at that angle.
    I was under the impression that I should go light on the weights and just do more of them, but you are suggesting liting heavy. Can you give me more detailed advice? Any exercises in particular that will/won't work?
    By heavy, I mean relative to your strength. Whatever exercises you do, do 3 sets of 8 repetitions with as much weight as you can handle for those 8 reps.
    Stick to basics: barbell curls, dumbell curls, pressdowns, tricep extensions.

Light weights build muscle endurance and do little to "harden"up the muscle you're trying to work out.

If you do a WHOLE BODY workout, you can get faster results because you will raise your RMR(resting metabolic rate) and burn more body fat at rest.

IDEA Fitness member
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    All over strength training and lifting heavier. I started strength training again and started with wimpy squats of like 5 lbs and now I'm about to move up to 30. I wouldn't go crazy and hurt yourself but 5lb dumbbells and chest presses won't do as much as say 20lb+. if you go to a gym try bodypump to start. Also what you eat is important. Extra protein, shop the perimeter of the store, veggies, fruit, good fats like coconut, avocado, nuts, etc.

Push ups, cleans, chest presses, bicep curls and tricep work, but I'd work on lower body too. You can spot reduce unfortunately.

Good luck and congrats!
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I started using kettlebells and it has created some definition in my arms that I love. I started with a "sissy" 4 lb. weight and have increased to 7 lbs. I know many start with a 10 lb. weight, but it worked for me. I specifically bought a cardio/kettlebell DVD: kettlenetics.
  • happybrooke
    Options
    By heavy, I mean relative to your strength. Whatever exercises you do, do 3 sets of 8 repetitions with as much weight as you can handle for those 8 reps.
    Stick to basics: barbell curls, dumbell curls, pressdowns, tricep extensions.

Light weights build muscle endurance and do little to "harden"up the muscle you're trying to work out.

If you do a WHOLE BODY workout, you can get faster results because you will raise your RMR(resting metabolic rate) and burn more body fat at rest.

IDEA Fitness member

If I were to get heavier weights, then I could possibly achieve great results at home from standard strength training? I have Power90 and 30 day Shred DVDs that combine strength training and cardio. Is that what you mean by Whole Body training? I understand what you mean about the heart rate and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
    My thought process on the gym membership was that a machine would guide me to do the correct movement and I just choose the weight or resistance. But someone else recently mentioned the other day that free weights were actually better. Any thoughts on that?
  • happybrooke
    Options
    All over strength training and lifting heavier. I started strength training again and started with wimpy squats of like 5 lbs and now I'm about to move up to 30. I wouldn't go crazy and hurt yourself but 5lb dumbbells and chest presses won't do as much as say 20lb+. if you go to a gym try bodypump to start. Also what you eat is important. Extra protein, shop the perimeter of the store, veggies, fruit, good fats like coconut, avocado, nuts, etc.

Push ups, cleans, chest presses, bicep curls and tricep work, but I'd work on lower body too. You can spot reduce unfortunately.

Good luck and congrats!

The extra protein is for the muscles? I did not think of that.

I am in love with MFP! Seriously! I am getting real-life advice from people who are doing it everyday, just like me. Thanks for the tips!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    If I were to get heavier weights, then I could possibly achieve great results at home from standard strength training? I have Power90 and 30 day Shred DVDs that combine strength training and cardio. Is that what you mean by Whole Body training? I understand what you mean about the heart rate and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
    My thought process on the gym membership was that a machine would guide me to do the correct movement and I just choose the weight or resistance. But someone else recently mentioned the other day that free weights were actually better. Any thoughts on that?
    By whole body I mean training every body part heavy 3 times a week. And free weights seem much better because not all machines "fit" right with everyone not to mention without the machine around, then how can one train if they are dependent upon it? If you learn how to train correctly with free weights, you can exercise anywhere if you have the resistance.
    I've trained many a "bride to be" and have gotten the best results with free weights, whole body training, along with a fair amount of cardio. Since time before the wedding is usually interfered with on occasion, the workouts should be intense and concise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • roozombie
    roozombie Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    By full/whole body: that means don't just focus on changing the places you want to see improvements, it means training all your major muscle groups. So, in your case not just upper body but lower body as well. So, not just push ups but adding in squats and dead lifts, etc.

New Rules of Lifting is a good book, but I like the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises a bit better not for the advice but for the descriptions of exercises with tons of photos and instructions. I don't lift at a gym and don't have room for a barbell and weight bench in my apartment, so NRoL for Women has a program that isn't easy for me to follow. The Big Book also has the exercises broken down by body parts, so you can build a full body workout from looking at all the exercises and their variations--that's also what I meant you could do with checking out strength training exercises online--build your own routine. That's not perfect and it takes a lot of work. It's way easier to pop in a DVD, but I've found strength training is worth spending my time on.

And yes, extra protein is mandatory for muscle maintenance and repair if you're eating at a deficit. You can fiddle with your macro percentages on MFP, for example, I have my protein set to 40% of my caloric intake. I rarely make it, but I am slowly getting it up higher and higher. So, paying attention to how you get your calories can be beneficial in how you are able to reshape your body.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    By full/whole body: that means don't just focus on changing the places you want to see improvements, it means training all your major muscle groups. So, in your case not just upper body but lower body as well. So, not just push ups but adding in squats and dead lifts, etc.

Great advice here.

I'll add to this - if you are limited on time, don't waste too much on the smallest muscles in the arms where you want to lose some. Just a little time spent there, spend the most on the biggest muscles that will burn the most fat 24 hrs day.

Glutes, quads, hamstrings, upper back, chest, traps, stomach, lower back, shoulders, biceps/triceps if you have time. Talk about the smallest muscle, working the forearms would be worse to spend time on. Besides, when you work the major, they worked too automatically.

If you can switch days between upper/lower that would allow a lot of strength., or if gym would let you pay for just 3 days, do routine spreading them out.
    Like glutes, upper back, quads, chest, hamstrings, traps, stomach, shoulders, back.

Machines would have a benefit here at first. You would specifically be working the biggest muscles, specifically. While free weights does engage other minor muscles for balance and is better overall, those other muscles are not as major. Again, if you are pressed for time in this effort and in going to the gym, right now your biggest bang will be machines. You can go back to free weights latter.

And you can do a bit at home, don't forget you can fill up big 2 gallon/5 gal jugs with water for extra weight. Tie them to a broomstick if need be.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
  • happybrooke
    Options
    This is all excellent advice! Thank you so much! I've learned a lot already :)