Soda Cupcakes!!!

Options
PetitePerfection
PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
I've heard about making cupcakes using just the boxed mix and a can of diet soda. Does it actually turn out well? If I made them for someone used to eating full fat cupcakes would they like them? Also, I really want to make confetti cupcakes, what soda would work well withtheflavor?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    They work out really good. Really light and fluffy. Just add one full can of any diet to the cake mix and watch them as they get done a bit sooner. I would think Fresca or a lemon lime would work with confetti. Or if you want them with a slight color use diet orange or strawberry.
  • DebboCG1
    Options
    I've never heard of this before! I definitely want to try it. Any ideas for a low fat/cal icing? Or do you just eat the cake?
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this before! I definitely want to try it. Any ideas for a low fat/cal icing? Or do you just eat the cake?

You can use fat-free whipped cream/ cool whip instead of icing :) Yummy processed cheat treat! Of course you could always just make your own whipped cream from heavy whipping cream, but if we're making cake with a can of soda then clean eating isn't the priority-lol!
  • Donnabott
    Donnabott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this sounds awesome !! has any one done the cal / portions yet?
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this sounds awesome !! has any one done the cal / portions yet?
    Depends on the mix you're using, for the mix I used (pillsbury funfetti) it was 90 cals each, and made 24 cupcakes:) most cake mixes say they serve 12, so just divide it in half for 24 cupcakes.

I used a lemon lime soda for the funfetti cake and they're AMAZING:happy:
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It does and they are quite good - I used to make them when I was on WW. They are like 2 points a muffin.

Try:

White cake with Sprite or Mt. Dew
    Chocolate with Cherry Coke, Coke, Dr. Pepper
    Lemon Cake with Sprite or Mt. Dew
    Strawberry Cake with Sprite.

The dry cake mix, 1 12oz. can - I would recommend using muffin liners and making sure they stay wrapped.
  • robinreed10
    Options
    I have NOT tried this, but I have made cupcakes with canned organic squash. They are WONDERFUL! I have made them with devils food cake mix and carrot cake mix. I do not know the calorie count on them....I make them to sneak some veggies in my sons diet. WIth the carrot cake I even add match stick carrots and he LOVES them :)
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have NOT tried this, but I have made cupcakes with canned organic squash.

I have done this with canned pumpkin, as it adds a lot of fiber to cupcakes. I am glad to know about frosting ideas!!
  • lkcowgirl88
    lkcowgirl88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great information! Will be trying this. Thanks.
  • kelscjo
    kelscjo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think cream soda would be a great choice.

Also I found a website with Diet Cream Cheese Frosting with 18 calories per serving:

8 ounces fat free cream cheese
    1 tablespoon butter , softened (optional)
    1/2 cup fat-free cool whip
    15 g Splenda sugar substitute
    2 tablespoons skim milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
    Add all ingredients to a bowl. Beat until creamy.

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/diet-cream-cheese-frosting-164133#ixzz1iv92jYzS
  • ItsAliciaMarie
    Options
    Wow who would of thought I would ever get 18 Cal frosting. That was the beat post ive read ever! I will definitely be making that!!
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I've been making diet soda cupcakes for years, love' em! My fave is diet 7-Up and strawberry cake mix. When I want frosting, I use Cool Whip.

Another soda/cake mix recipe that is a big hit in my house is what I call yellow cake cookies. A box of yellow cake mix & a can of Sprite get mixed and then refrigerated until the batter hardens. Then, spoon it out onto a baking sheet and just keep an eye until they fluff up. They're definitely yummy and super easy! You could probably use a diet soda but since I make these for Christmas (and we all know Christmas calories don't count ;) ), then I use the high-octane version.

Can't wait to try that diet cream cheese frosting recipe! I could eat regular cream cheese frosting ALL day...this sounds like a much better alternative!
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been making diet soda cupcakes for years, love' em! My fave is diet 7-Up and strawberry cake mix. When I want frosting, I use Cool Whip.

Another soda/cake mix recipe that is a big hit in my house is what I call yellow cake cookies. A box of yellow cake mix & a can of Sprite get mixed and then refrigerated until the batter hardens. Then, spoon it out onto a baking sheet and just keep an eye until they fluff up. They're definitely yummy and super easy! You could probably use a diet soda but since I make these for Christmas (and we all know Christmas calories don't count ;) ), then I use the high-octane version.

Can't wait to try that diet cream cheese frosting recipe! I could eat regular cream cheese frosting ALL day...this sounds like a much better alternative!

Do you bake these and at what temp?
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options

Do you bake these and at what temp?

Yep, I bake them. I follow the cupcake instructions on the back of the box. I put a little smudge of regular store-bought vanilla frosting on 'em and they're great. A way to help keep the amount of frosting you put on there to a minimum, take a spoon and use the back side of it. You won't be able to get much frosting on there, and it makes the swirling onto the cookie easy.
  • RachelNyra
    Options
    Hi. i come from New Zealand and we don't have half the things you're talking about available here. We can buy Betty Crocker cake, brownie and muffin mixes. Would I add a can of diet soda to this and bake as usual? TIA. Rachel - the kiwi.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Hi. i come from New Zealand and we don't have half the things you're talking about available here. We can buy Betty Crocker cake, brownie and muffin mixes. Would I add a can of diet soda to this and bake as usual? TIA. Rachel - the kiwi.

That's exactly what you use, Rachel. Get Betty Crocker cake mix in whatever variety you feel like using. And then grab a can of diet soda and mix it in. That's all there is to it!

I also saw someone use Diet Coke in a brownie mix on Pinterest the other day. I wonder about the consistency, but it is worth a shot!
  • SLT01
    SLT01 Posts: 58
    Options
    These sound great! I will have to try them out!
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bunp
  • cheroki
    cheroki Posts: 7 Member
    Options

That's exactly what you use, Rachel. Get Betty Crocker cake mix in whatever variety you feel like using. And then grab a can of diet soda and mix it in. That's all there is to it!

I also saw someone use Diet Coke in a brownie mix on Pinterest the other day. I wonder about the consistency, but it is worth a shot!

Sounds great, but just to clarify, Is the soda to replace the oil and water? do you still add the eggs? Ive got some cake mix knocking around in the cupboard. May try this today! Thanks
  • icewindfirex
    Options
    Making some now and these look great! I'm using sugar free devilsfood (pillsbury) and a can of coke zero. The batter tastes delicious! Making 24, they come out at 60 cal each. Going to frost with 2tbsp fat free coolwhip which makes it 65. They cook a little fast, so 325 for 15 min is perfect :)