Weight went up, but i have no idea why :(

My weight was stuck for over 2 months now :( i was trying to do everything to make it move, zig-zagging, exercising more, changing exercises, etc.
But now my weight went up 1 kg :sad: , this week i wasn't going to the gym but exercising at home playing kinect your shape fitness evolved and dance central.

I have no idea what is wrong, for this week my weight was stuck as usual on 65.0 kg but today its 65.8 kg. Im not close to my tom and i was drinking a lot of water. My muscles hurt from doing cardio boxing at least 30 minutes a day.

One of my friends told me that muscles store some water to recover themselves after strong workout, but i have no idea if its true.

Im so disapoineted as i though that trying harder exercises, doing the zig-zagging may help and not make it worst :cry:

Replies

• Alicja_W
    Alicja_W Posts: 169
    pls help ! :(
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Hi!
    I've heard that as well, might be. Do you usually weigh yourself everyday and see fluctuations? I can fluctuate up to 1.5 kilos overnight (although only when I had a lot of sodium it will be that extreme). Have you been eating anything with much sodium?

I understand your frustration, I've been in the same boat as you. I try not to focus on the scale too much, and think about how much fitter I am and how muscled my biceps is getting (haha!). Don't let .8 kilos get you down!
  • Looking over your food logs. What we would want to do is shift some of your foods around. Try starting your day with high protein foods. Snack between meals. Almonds, string cheese, greek yogurt, chicken. Focus on lean proteins throughout the day to help keep your appetite in check. Also, you will be replacing some of the sugars and carbs with protein.

You want to be eating 5-6 times a day. It will seem like your eating a lot, but you are actually speeding up your metabolism. This change, in combination with your workouts, should get you off that plateau. 80% of weight loss is nutrition, 20% is exercise. Have a look at my food log so far. It isn't perfect yet, but I'll get there. This is what I do, and have lost 25 lbs in the past implementing this plan.
  • Alicja_W
    Hi!
    I've heard that as well, might be. Do you usually weigh yourself everyday and see fluctuations? I can fluctuate up to 1.5 kilos overnight (although only when I had a lot of sodium it will be that extreme). Have you been eating anything with much sodium?

I understand your frustration, I've been in the same boat as you. I try not to focus on the scale too much, and think about how much fitter I am and how muscled my biceps is getting (haha!). Don't let .8 kilos get you down!

i dont think i had a lot of sodium, and yeah i weight in everyday but my weight wasnt fluctuating at all for about 1 month it stayed the same :(
  • Alicja_W
    Looking over your food logs. What we would want to do is shift some of your foods around. Try starting your day with high protein foods. Snack between meals. Almonds, string cheese, greek yogurt, chicken. Focus on lean proteins throughout the day to help keep your appetite in check. Also, you will be replacing some of the sugars and carbs with protein.

You want to be eating 5-6 times a day. It will seem like your eating a lot, but you are actually speeding up your metabolism. This change, in combination with your workouts, should get you off that plateau. 80% of weight loss is nutrition, 20% is exercise. Have a look at my food log so far. It isn't perfect yet, but I'll get there. This is what I do, and have lost 25 lbs in the past implementing this plan.

I am eating 5 times a day, i try to eat high protein foods
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    I have no idea what is wrong, for this week my weight was stuck as usual on 65.0 kg but today its 65.8 kg. Im not close to my tom and i was drinking a lot of water. My muscles hurt from doing cardio boxing at least 30 minutes a day.

I think you're probably right that it is this - your muscles carrying extra water after that much exercise. 1 kg is only 2.2lb.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 583 Member
    I regularly gain 2-3 lbs the day after a good workout, the more i ache the more it seems to be.

When i recover in the following day it goes as fast as it went, have always thought to myself, meh, water.
  • Alicja_W
    I regularly gain 2-3 lbs the day after a good workout, the more i ache the more it seems to be.

When i recover in the following day it goes as fast as it went, have always thought to myself, meh, water.

so if ill stop exercising for a bit and pain go away, the water'll go away and same as weight ?
  • Chairless
    I suppose so yep.

Trick is to allow yourself time to recover, if you are pushing yourself to the point of having muscle pain / ache then thats a good sign to let them recover a bit.

Day on day off for the hard stuff is what suits me, gentle cardio like walking on recovery days.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    If you are sore, your muscles retain water to help them repair and heal. Just stick with what you are doing, the scale will start moving down again.
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Dw its only a kilo, just be persistent and consistent and keep your diet in check.
  • Chairless
    also, please take measurements, the scale alone can be a harsh opponent and probably isn't giving you the whole picture on your progress.
  • Alicja_W
    also, please take measurements, the scale alone can be a harsh opponent and probably isn't giving you the whole picture on your progress.

thanx ill do it today :)
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    It looks to me like you're leaving too many calories on the books. Eating my exercise calories worked best for me. (Your body needs appropriate fuel.) Also, you indicate that you are drinking lots of water - I didn't see that recorded in your diary. Good luck getting it figured out! :flowerforyou:
  • Alicja_W
    It looks to me like you're leaving too many calories on the books. Eating my exercise calories worked best for me. (Your body needs appropriate fuel.) Also, you indicate that you are drinking lots of water - I didn't see that recorded in your diary. Good luck getting it figured out! :flowerforyou:

i never add water to my diary :/ and i dont like eating my exercise calories because what's the point exercising then ?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,722 Member

i never add water to my diary :/ and i dont like eating my exercise calories because what's the point exercising then ?

You're already in a calorie deficit with mfp. Eat the well earned calories back.