citalopram anti depressants

Options
Hi guys just joined today, i have put up my introduction.
I was prescribed citalopram anti depressants and have put on around 3 stone since taking them not over years, we talking months here. Im not gonna lie they make me feel great but thats the trouble lol too great to the point even my weight doesnt get me down. I havent changed my eating habbits yes i eat a load of rubbish but dont do burgers fries crisps infact nothing fried really but yet the weight keeps piling on admitidly im not doing any form of excercise but wasnt befor the meds and stayed at around 11 stone i am now almost 14 stone.

Is anyone else using this medication, have you had weight gain and if so were u able to shift it?? Do u feel better for taking them?

look forward to replies xxx

Replies

• juliebradhen
    juliebradhen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been on these in the past, and I did lose weight doing weight watchers taking them. My weight gain though I think was more irregular eating and eating the wrong things. It is possible to lose weight on them. Have you talked to your doctor about your worries. The Anti depressants themselves did help me btw.
  • sweetfem
    Options
    to be honest doc has me in n out so fast with a repeat prescription i dont have time to open my mouth. when i told her i was feeling really laid back to the point i was horizontal she doubled my dose. Im seeing her tomo and will discuss my weight gain, i do believe it has alot to do with my meds as my habits havent really changed. ive never taken anti depressants in the past always fllushed them, but im actually at the point where i am a bit scared not to take them as i was a wreck befor. on the other hand i have eliminated all the negative things around me so i should maybe try coming off for a while
    I really think using this site correct this time will really help me xx
    good luck hunni xx
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I took them for a while, starting at 10mg daily, then 20mg daily for a while, then back to 10mg. Not a very high dose. I did put on weight, but I honestly don't believe it had anything to do with the meds. It was a slow weight gain and was related to a lack of exercise and eating badly.

They really did help me. I was terrified of taking any anti-depressants for various reasons, but I talked to a friend who's a pharmacist and he reassured me. They didn't "cure" my depression, they didn't even make me feel dramatically different, but they did keep me more balanced, levelle me out, and got rid of the extreme lows (and highs admittedly), and got me in a state where I was then able to cope with seeing a counsellor and then cognative behavioural therapy (CBT) , and the CBT is what "cured" me. I say cured, I dont think depression is ever something you are cured of, but I am "recovered" and I know how to prevent it happening again.

All the best with the treatment.
  • LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Many people are not aware that weight gain is one of the most common side effects associated with many antidepressants prescribed today. In fact, medications such as Fluoxetine (Prozac®) and Buproprion HCL (Wellbutrin®) have actually been marketed for obesity treatment.

Antidepressants can affect weight in several ways:
    • They may increase or decrease basal metabolic rate without changing caloric intake.
    • They may affect hormonal changes and increase appetite.

Unexpected weight gain can increase the difficulties associated with psychiatric and seizure disorders by further aggravating mood instability and low self-esteem.

The following paragraphs contain brief descriptions of several classes of psychotropic and seizure disorder medications.

Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)

SSRIs comprise one of the major classes of antidepressants currently being prescribed by primary care physicians. At first, SSRIs were thought to be associated with weight loss and reduced appetite. For a while, they were even marketed as anti-obesity drugs. It is now known that long-term use of SSRIs is associated with weight gain.

The reason that SSRIs contribute to weight gain is not known. Although it was a widely held belief that drugs that increase serotonin output also decrease hunger, this does not seem to be the case. Patients using SSRIs often report symptoms of hypoglycemia (weakness, dizziness, frequent hunger, and headaches) when they do not eat. Symptoms of hypoglycemia may indicate hyperinsulinemia (elevation of insulin in the blood).

The five most common SSRIs currently prescribed in the United States today are as follows:
    •Citalopram (Celexa®)
    •Fluoxetine (Prozac®)
    •Fluvoxamine (Luvox®)
    •Paroxetine (Paxil®)
    •Sertraline (Zoloft®)

Paroxetine (Paxil®) appears to have the most significant impact on weight gain of all of the SSRIs. Studies show that patients using Paxil experience an increase in breast size as well as weight gain and increased serum prolactin. One case report linked cravings for carbohydrates with Citalopram (Celexa®) while other studies showed an average weight gain over time of 15-20 pounds with Sertraline (Zoloft), Fluoxetine (Prozac®), and Citalopram (Celexa®).

However, SSRIs cause less weight gain, fewer anticholinergic symptoms, and less toxic adverse effects than tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs). These findings have led to the increase in SSRI prescriptions by psychiatrists and primary care providers. Primary care providers are not likely to be familiar with the difference between the various SSRIs relative to their possible weight gain side effects.

Tricyclic Antidepressants (TCAs)

TCAs were the most commonly prescribed antidepressants before SSRIs became widely available. Tricyclic antidepressants are often used to treat sleep disorders and to help patients manage pain. Most physicians are aware that TCAs can contribute significantly to weight gain.

Weight gain and other side effects vary from one TCA to another as well as from one patient to another. Many drugs in this class induce slowing of the metabolism and carbohydrate cravings. Factors more clearly understood involve histamine and alpha 1 receptor blocking actions. Appetite stimulation and weight gain make it extremely difficult for the diabetic using a TCA to control blood sugar.

TCAs include the following:
    •Amitriptyline (Elavil®)
    •Amoxapine (Asendin®)
    •Clomipramine (Anafranil®)
    •Desipramine (Norepramine®, Pertofrane®)
    •Doxepin (Adapin®, Sinequan®)
    •Imipramine (Janimine®, Tofranil®)
    •Nortriptyline (Aventyl®, Pamelor®)
    •Protriptyline (Vivactil®)
    •Trimipramine (Rhotramine®, Surmontil®)

Weight gain with TCAs is dose dependent and relative to the length of therapy.

The greatest weight gain among TCA patients has been observed with those using either amitriptyline (Elavil®) or imipramine (Janimine®, Tofranil ®).

This is taken from a nutritional website if thi offers any better information for you guys.

L.x
  • sweetfem
    Options
    I started on 20 and she upped me to 40mg but to be honest i never took the 40. as much as they make me laid back im still up early and sleep well. but nothing phases me!! Before ide be bothered about state of my house n what people thought now im in the frame of mind if u dont like it tough!! dont know if this is a good or a bad thing.

Ive seen bits about CBT befor but never really read up on it . ill have a google thanks xxx
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    Ive seen bits about CBT befor but never really read up on it . ill have a google thanks xxx

It depends on the way you think as to what the best therapy is. I'm an (ex-)scientist, so I have a very logical way of thinking, and I dont respond well to the talking therapies. The counselling helped me find out what was bothering me, but then all we were doing was talking about it endlessly, and that didn't help me. The CBT looked at my negative thoughts, and my insecurities, and set about disproving them - and my brain can't argue with a disproven idea!
  • sweetfem
    Options
    Thanks hun.x
    Whats your views on Hypnosis?
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    Thanks hun.x
    Whats your views on Hypnosis?
    I've never tried it sorry. I can see it would work if it's a habit you're trying to break (like maybe compulsive eating), but I'm not sure if it would help with the underlying emotional causes. I don't know though, it's not something I've looked at before.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I LOVE citalopram. I'm on 20mg daily, which is a pretty standard low dose, and have been for some time and they make a real difference. I haven't put on weight from them though. Sorry to hear you are having this problem.
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    I've been on citalopram in the past. As everybody reacts differently I did not really gain weight with it - at least not more than with just "depressive" eating :). It seems to be a popular choice of prescription. After about a year though I felt it did not really do the job anymore. I changed over to Bupropion, which I had in Germany before due to my ADHD as well. Bupropion has the nice side effect that its easy to stop smoking on it as well (it is prescribed also as Zyban to quit smoking). One of the side effects can be weight loss. At least there are no reports of weight gain on this Antidepressant. Maybe you should talk with your doctor about your options?
  • nixrtkls
    Options
    My pharmacist friend told me that I'd have a hard time losing weigh on Celexa. I've worked out for 6 weeks and maintained my 1200 calorie (+/-) calorie intake. . .

After all of this dedication, I've lost 4 pounds!

I'm switching my script today!
  • sweetfem
    Options
    yea i have an appointment at docs tomo and am gonna have a chat with her about my meds . x
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    .... Im not gonna lie they make me feel great but thats the trouble lol too great to the point even my weight doesnt get me down. ...

Is anyone else using this medication, have you had weight gain and if so were u able to shift it?? Do u feel better for taking them?

I have been on Lexapro (a stereoisomer of citolopram) and Bupropion together for several years. I fought depression and anxiety all my adult life--tried every non-medical method possible, and many of them helped but it was still like treading water in quicksand. I finally gave in and went "on drugs" and I must say it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I have not noticed any direct cause-and-effect link between the Lexapro and my weight. This may be because I am also on Bupropion, which tends to make people *lose* weight. The two meds may offset each other.

The one thing I *have* noticed, however, is that it is harder to get motivated to eat right and exercise. This is partly because I don't worry and stress about a few pounds here and there, so when they creep on I don't do anything about it. Also because I don't *need* to exercise like a maniac anymore just to keep the depression at bay. I can get the weight off when I get motivated, but it is harder to get motivated-- because I'm more content with myself as I am, ironically.

So any weight gain is likely behavior-linked, but that behavior is affected by the meds. At least in my case.
  • gal_amy
    gal_amy Posts: 47
    Options
    .....Im seeing her tomorro and will discuss my weight gain, i do believe it has alot to do with my meds as my habits havent really changed. ive never taken anti depressants in the past always fllushed them

I've been on the same medication for a couple of years and it's the only one that doesn't have alot of side effects. Prozac is another one that doesn't cause weight gain. I joined WW's about 3 years ago and found they have it down. Teaching real nutrition. Have you thought of that?