Lebanese/Mediterranean Food

Options
I have "date" on thursday with this guy and we're going to a Lebanese place before our hockey game... Its in Dearborn, MI... He said the food is really good and pretty healthy. I've never eaten lebanese before. He said that if you don't eat much it will possibly offend them and make them think that something is wrong with the food... lol I dk.. I'm nervous and I am sticking to this diet (last night was just a little mishap for me but everything was still counted) But I just want to know if there are any suggestions of what to try or what is low calorie if anyone has had Lebanese food... Thank you :)

Replies

• kelseylynnmom
    kelseylynnmom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the Chicken Shawarma salad at Lebanese restaurants. You can look up calories om MFP.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you go and enjoy your date without worrying about your calorie consumption.

I assure you that not adhering to your diet for one day will not kill you.

Have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • alyssaguirguis
    Options
    agree with chicken shawarma (or shish tawook...another grilled chicken). Tabbouleh salad is also good (cracked wheat with tomato, parsley, garlic, sometimes cucumber in a lemon and olive oil dressing). Hummus can be a little fatty, I think Foul is a little less oily but also doesn't taste as good (both bean-based spreads/dips). Baba ganoush is a little less calories because its eggplant instead of the beans but otherwise the same as hummus. Tahini is kind of calorie dense (very similar to peanut butter--very healthy, good quality calories, but kind of a lot of them).
    Just ask someone to explain to you what is in something. They will tell you.
    ...Don't mean to be a know it all but my husband is Egyptian...I know a thing or two about middle eastern food ;-) YUM!

Enjoy your date! :-)
  • JenMarie826
    Options
    Thank you! You have all helped me!! I appreciate it :)
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love chicken ghallaba I'm from that area also you will love the food
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Tabbouleh salad and hummus.............. yum!!! I think it would be a great place to make some good choices. Many years ago in Dallas we used to go to a Lebonese restaurant, and it was so so good. They served tabbouleh and hummus along with stuffed grape leaves for appetizers, before the steak. It was a steak restaurant. So so many years ago, that I wasn't a complete vegetarian then. Tabbouleh and hummus are 2 of the things that are vegetarian that I still love though. Both very healthy for you.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite type of tood and I can assure you it is much more healthy that most! Once while living in a hotel for a few weeks in Dubai, I ate this daily, and I kid you not I lost 10 lbs that month and I was not even trying. The fact is that most meats are grills in oiilve oil, and the hummus and other salads are make fresh so you can enjoy the meal and I doubt you will see any gain over this one meal. My cheat days I run to the local place and have a gyro and I love it... cannot wait for the days that I make it down to this place..
  • I eat chicken kabob and fattoush salad every Monday night from Mediterranean Grills. Love it! And I'm losing two pounds a week.
    it's true that the owner of our restaurant (Ashton) will encourage me to finish my food when I'm there...but it's nice to have someone so interested in what I eat!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Mediterranean restaurants typically serve several fresh, beautiful salads. You can get one of those with grilled chicken and either tahini dressing (sesame based) or the Greek dressing which is just glorified oil and vinegar.

I would say stay away from eating too much pita, which is deceptively high in calories, and my absolute favorite, falafel. Most restaurants fry it which makes it a delicious but not so healthy choice.

Have fun!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Greek food is my kryptonite - Greek dressing, and pita/hummus, and tabbouleh, and cucumber sauce, and gyro meat. There is a Greek restaurant by my house and when I want a splurge night, that's the FIRST place I go. The pita kills - all the carbs and calories. And falafel - oh god. :)

Some of it is healthy and some of it is not - But man, when I want to splurge, Greek is where I go! :)
  • veronicastelo
    Options
    My experience is that it is super healthy. Like previously said, the meats are usually grilled and they make incredible salads with chick peas, grilled vegies, etc. The only thing I wouls steer clear of is desserts and sweets. They are nice but loaded with sugar and honey and I find them a little sickly (after my third or fourth helping).