I'm working out properly but not losing weight

Options

Replies

• sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat......maybe you should go by how you feel/look, rather than what you weigh?? =0)
  • KC5ZRQ
    KC5ZRQ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're consuming 2371 calories per day! This is why you are gaining weight.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Losing weight begins with our food intake. You need to be in a calorie deficit. Look back over your food diary and see where you could possibly tweak it. Good luck!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Here's what I noticed from your diary:

Out of the days I looked at (back to something like Tuesday?) -- you were over on your daily calories every single day. If you want to lose weight, you MUST be in a deficit. Also, I noticed you consume 3-4 protein shakes a day. While these are okay, I don't think having 3-4 a day is a good idea. I would focus on trying to consume some food (lean meats, veggies, etc) vs filling up on shakes.

I think you need to do a serious re-evaluation. Look up your BMR, look up your TDEE and figure out a deficit off the TDEE. I won't say it isn't possible to lose weight while consuming the amount of calories you're consuming (I can lose consuming 2100-2200 net calories, so it is possible). I think you need to take a step back and do some serious re-evaluation of your entire "program".

Going to the gym and working out is great, but if you aren't properly fueling your body? You won't make any progress.
  • Hkeemom
    Options
    you really need to eat breakfast.. even if its like protein bar, shake, oatmeal. or even dry cereal on the way to work. try to make something night before if you are on the go. Try to eat fiber foods because that will make you "fuller" and definitely snack in between meals. You have to eat to keep your metabolism going. Great job on the workouts, by the way!!
    Also, you need to watch how many calories you are taking in. You can try to decrease your intake by 500 for a month to see if it makes any difference.

I am working with a health coach so some suggestions are what I have learned from her, AND, agree with what others say. go by how you feel, look, any change in clothes fitting and if you are losing inches.

Good luck!
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options

Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!! How can 5lbs of muscle weigh more than 5lbs of fat? Fat is thicker than muscle but does not weigh more!! That is an old myth!!

5 lbs of ANYTHING weighs the same as 5 lbs of ANYTHING ELSE! What a maroon!!!! Try weighing 1 cubic inch of fat vs 1 cubic inch of muscle and you will see that muscle weighs more.

THAT ONLY PROVES THAT MUSCLE IS MORE DENSE THAT FAT!!! It does not WEIGH MORE only TAKES UP LESS SPACE!!! Again, this is why it is important to keep track of inches, not just lbs. BEFORE you call someone a MAROON you should THINK about what you are saying
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    The piccie in this link shows muscle and fat, sitting side by side. Both weigh exactly the same weight, however, as you will see, the SIZES are different.

Now, if both pieces of tissue were exactly the same size, their weights would be different, the muscle would weight more.

I think this is what people are trying to get across.

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options
    I agree with you. I just do not approve of the previous girl calling another person a maroon bc of what they were saying, even tho the person before her had been correct.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    If I read the 'Muscle weighs more than Fat' debate one more time I will be forced to burn my eyes out with hot coals. (I hear they are low calorie if anyone wants them afterwards)
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories, and you need to put a lot more fresh produce in
    your diet. Like much on some organic carrots, celery, apple, banana, grapes...
    Eat fruit for breakfast office you want, but you need to eat breakfast.
    If you don't eat your metabolism will slow down.
    When you're not eating a net of at least 1,200 cals a day, when you do indulge a little here and there
    your body will pack it on for safe keeping.
    Found out that's why I gained so much weight...
    Hope that helps. ;)
  • crunchybubblez
    Options

Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat!!! How can 5lbs of muscle weigh more than 5lbs of fat? Fat is thicker than muscle but does not weigh more!! That is an old myth!!

5 lbs of ANYTHING weighs the same as 5 lbs of ANYTHING ELSE! What a maroon!!!! Try weighing 1 cubic inch of fat vs 1 cubic inch of muscle and you will see that muscle weighs more.

THAT ONLY PROVES THAT MUSCLE IS MORE DENSE THAT FAT!!! It does not WEIGH MORE only TAKES UP LESS SPACE!!! Again, this is why it is important to keep track of inches, not just lbs. BEFORE you call someone a MAROON you should THINK about what you are saying

That's like saying bricks aren't heavier than feathers.
    Give me a break!
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    If I read the 'Muscle weighs more than Fat' debate one more time I will be forced to burn my eyes out with hot coals. (I hear they are low calorie if anyone wants them afterwards)

Thank you!
    It seems like the people that keep hashing it up are over compensating for something...
    So how 'bout them Broncos... ;)
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    You're consuming 2371 calories per day! This is why you are gaining weight.

Ok, I retract my previous statement.
    Less calories, more produce.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    People in this thread keep saying I'm eating too many calories but I only eat 2000+ because I'm eating back my exercise calories, which is what everyone says I'm supposed to do.

My MFP target is 1710, and I usually burn off anywhere from 300-800 calories a day at the gym, which is why my calorie intake is high after eating back the exercise calories (or at least some of them).

So I can't get my head around the advice. Is eating that many calories ok (as long as it's exercise cals) or should I be cutting down? Seems like everyone is contradicting everyone else. I'm honestly starting to wonder how seriously to take advice on here, and how many people are just making it up as they go along :(
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Dont read mens health?
    They only want you to buy supplements!

Stay off the smith machine so you can trigger better growth from muscles doing deadlits, squats and any other compound lifts.
    Work within a 5-8 rep 2 set routine.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Dont read mens health?
    They only want you to buy supplements!

Stay off the smith machine so you can trigger better growth from muscles doing deadlits, squats and any other compound lifts.
    Work within a 5-8 rep 2 set routine.

I wish I could! The free weights area of my gym is always rammed :(
  • deedermooney
    deedermooney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eating all of your calories is the most important thing. I remember when I was on Weight Watchers and there would be people not losing because they were not eating all of their points(calories). We have that number for a reason and if you don't eat them there will be nothing to burn off when you work out.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    People in this thread keep saying I'm eating too many calories but I only eat 2000+ because I'm eating back my exercise calories, which is what everyone says I'm supposed to do.

My MFP target is 1710, and I usually burn off anywhere from 300-800 calories a day at the gym, which is why my calorie intake is high after eating back the exercise calories (or at least some of them).

So I can't get my head around the advice. Is eating that many calories ok (as long as it's exercise cals) or should I be cutting down? Seems like everyone is contradicting everyone else. I'm honestly starting to wonder how seriously to take advice on here, and how many people are just making it up as they go along :(

Where are you getting the calorie burn numbers from? How do you know they are accurate?
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    OK, lets try and give you some good advice :)

Looking at your diary I have the following facts:

1) You haven't historically tracked all of your food and exercise
    - Although you did from Jan to May 2011: were you more successful in this period?
    2) Some of the exercise calories seem on the high side
    - I normally estimate 220 cals per hr doing weights and you have nearer 330
    - Running at 12 minute miles*, I estimate 600 cals per hour, you have about 900
    - I know you weigh more than I do now, but you're only a short way off my starting weight
    3) I have no reason to believe you have any sort of medical condition causing unusual patterns of weight loss or gain

* Normally I run faster than this - between 8 and 9 minute miles - thats about 850 cals per hour.

Conclusions:

1) Logging food
    My best guess is that you have been estimating the calories you have been consuming during the period you haven't been logging. And probably, you are making mistakes.

Like many of us who have spent some time on here, There is a good chance that you started to estimate the weights based on experience - I did a test this lunchtime and put what I thought was a 100g portion of oven chips on a plate - then weighed it... 120g. Not enough out to be a big problem, but proof that its hard to guess - and over time this adds up.

Add to that the lack of accountability if you don't track it properly, plus the fact you cant look back at a whole week very easily to see what the net impact would have been (100 cals over one day is fine, 100 cals over every day = weight gain)

2) Logging exercise
    I believe you are over estimating the amount of calories burned - can I check what you use as your source data for this?

I do not believe that your weight/fat gain is due to your choice of work outs - however it is my personal belief that if you want to loose fat quickly its better to do CV - simply because it burns more calories per hour!

I would be tempted to say that with your current choice of work out you don't need to eat back your exercise calories - this will never take you under 1200 calories net and will be fine from a health perspective as long as you keep eating a balanced diet. If you decide to do this then pay careful attention to how you feel. Being hungry isn't a problem but feeling sluggish or run down is - that's a sign your body needs more fuel: you are going to have to experiment to see how it goes.

Suggest you re-read the whole thread, make a decision about which, if any changes to make - let us know then revisit the whole thing in a couple of weeks time with a progress report.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    What ^ he ^ said...plus your cheat meals.

And are you absolutely sure on those exercise burns? I found out I'm not even close to burning the 500 calories the machines and MFP said I did. It's more like 200-250 for me. That demolished my supposed deficit.