Help - 22 stone and limited exercise capability!

Options
I've finally accepted I need to lose some weight; I've used the excuse that I have a weak spine and discs that pop in and out whenever they feel like to allow me not to do exercise for way too long.
This does mean I cant jog, run or do high impact exercise - any suggestions on exercises that may be suitable?

I'm logging food and feel happy and confident I can do the lower calorie bits easy enough as I know where my eating goes wrong - problem is when I do go off the rails, I tend to feel that bad I think whats the point!

I'd appreciate all the help and support I can get - I'd really like to be able to go out this Christmas coming in a nice outfit and be a few stone lighter and closer to my 13 stone weight goal but I have the will power of a bug!

Replies

• vicwinter1
    Options
    try water -- I do water aerobics, and even when the classes aren't there, I do it myself, I don't like jumping things, same problem, makes my leg numb, - so I do bicycles, etc, in the deep end with a flotation belt, and weights on my legs, excellent work-out,

Only issue is you need to join a gym with a pool, Good luck
  • belllan
    Options
    High, you are going to have to do some research to find out what your body can stand. As you have said, high impact is out of the question. Go to your doctor and get some suggestions from him. Also there is a dvd by callen pickney that came out in the 80's called callenitics.I know it is old but the exercises are gentle and effective and her focus in on the spine. There are also other more up to date dvds on the subject. Also, be sure to ask you doctor about it before trying it. If that does not work, just keep looking until you find something that works for you and that you can work with. Now as for feeling guilty for falling of the bandwagon, I am going to tell you what works for me, althoghth I would not suggest it for everyone, whenever i fall out the bandwagon, which I have to admit is still often I just say to myself" yeah, I should not have eaten it , but it was good and I enjoyed it", and then I move on. I realize that guilt served me no good purpose. I simply get back on the bandwagon and continue on. after a while, I simply stop falling off so much because I began to realize that I worked too hard to blow it on a brownie- or whatever. I lost 30 pounds doing this. I would love to know if my advise is any help to you.
  • maxdjax
    maxdjax Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Guys - thank you very much for the replies.

I will try the pool - I used to swim competitively so really enjoyed it but due to my size I havent felt really comfortable! However, if it is going to be the easiest way of exercising I'll give it a go!

I'll also try that method of dealing with falling off the band wagon - thank you very much!

Fingers crossed I can stick to it and be successful!
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi Maxdjax,

Are you ok with walking? I started of at 22 stone last year and did get pain when walking more than a few hundred yards (though not as bad as yours by the sounds of it). I took a week off and built my walking up and by the end of the week was able to do 4-5 miles without problems, it helped me take of 3 stone last year. In fact id say the walking was more effective than anything id done in the gym or pool as i really enjoyed it and looked forward to going. :)

Good luck
  • maxdjax
    Options
    Hi Mark,

I think I would be better with more practise - the pain can be very minimal for months but then render me having to work from home and in the same place all day! I do find the bottom of my back kills after a short time walking but accept that is probably down to lack of doing it!
    I'm going to go for a short walk tonight I think and just see what I can do, maybe just round the block! I live in such a small village and we have some gorgeous scenery it is a shame I dont see it much.

Well done with your weight loss!

Jaci
  • maxdjax
    Options
    well, weigh in this morning and lost 3lb last week with very little exercise really so I'm pleased. Trying to keep my head clear that anything over 1lb is a good loss as I normally lose interest if dont lose loads - watched the first episode of Biggest Loser and so wanted to there to see if I could lose a stone in a week!

If only you could buy patience eh!!
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    First of all...let me say that I love to exercise. I am training for a half marathon right now, I swim, I kickbox and I teach water aerobics 4 times a week. I work out every day and can't say enough about the benefits of exercise....

HOWEVER, I also know from personal experience that losing weight is WAAAAAY more about controlling what you eat than it is about working out. Does physical activity help? Absolutely! But, please don't feel like you can't lose weight because you are limited in what you can do physically. Like I said, I am training for a half marathon and running like a crazy person and I still gained a bunch of weight over the holidays because I wasn't paying any attention to what I ate...I just ate what I wanted.

When you feel like you are able to exercise some, try walking short distances and working up to longer walks over time. Don't go all gung ho and hurt yourself at the beginning. Give your body time to get used to moving. And please do try water exercise - swimming, water aerobics...whatever. There are all sorts of water classes out there. I teach a low impact Aquaflex class...something like that would be great for you. Deep water would also be good...no impact at all. Even just walking in the water would give you more resistance and less impact than walking on land. I broke my tailbone about 4 years ago and did a ton of water walking while it healed.

Best of luck...friend me if you want...
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Agree with previous poster - water is the way to go! When you are in water up to your neck, you are only supporting ten percent of your body weight - much less stress on spine - and water negates the effect of gravity, so your joint spaces increase and give you more freedom of movement. Working against the resistance of the water works the muscles, so they are stronger and better able to support your back.
    Find a good aqua fitness class that makes you puff in the cardio section (not a gentle hydrotherapy class - you won't burn the calories) and if you can do at least three classes a week, and add some lap swimming, you'll be well on your way! As your back gets stronger, add some walking for weight-bearing exercise (necessary to prevent osteoporosis).
    As to being comfortable in an aqua class - wear bike pants, a good sports bra and a rashie - nice and covered up, but professional-looking too.
    Good luck!
  • maxdjax
    Options
    thanks for the replies and support guys - really appreciated! I'm helping a friend with their weight loss too so got on the scales today with her - finally below the 300lb mark! only just but it counts! only 5lb more and I'm below 21 stone for the first time in months!

I'm working out a water exercise plan to start in February as we have some classes locally - until then I am parking on the top floor of the car park at work, not using lifts at HQ and I have bought an aerobic step for home so I am using that during ad breaks each night when I can!

Looks like in going on holiday alone this year too so have that as a target - only 209 days to go! would be great to show the guys from last year my progress!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Hi there! I agree re the water - maybe try some aqua exercise classes? Someone at the centre could tell you what might work for you - maybe not the tougher aqua aerobics but some lighter classes. I do aqua zumba and aqua aerobics and particularly in the former there are a lot of bigger women and no one cares what size anyone is - it's just good fun :) Also walking is a good start :)
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Water is an essential beginning...it is a challenge for me I hate water.
    I have to be careful too because I have asthma and being so heavy. When I lost the first bought of weight, I went swimming but didn't swim. Just did my own light calisthenics moving arms and legs around in water worked great.
    Also just walking if you do it long enough will make a big difference. Deep breathing as well burns a lot of calories when done correctly. I have such an exercise on my computer somewhere. I will find it and post it for you.
  • darsh11
    darsh11 Posts: 98
    Options
    The best exercises that don't impact your spine, are walking, recumbant bike, and anything in the pool. Start slow on anything and build each day. It is the only way. if you go full force the first couple of times you can hurt yourself and you will not stick with it.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    walking and swimming :smile:
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Breathing Exercise: (This is the precursor to doing the Neshama mentioned later.)
    ***WARNING***Do not attempt the breathing exercise while driving. It is extremely relaxing and might make you fall asleep at the wheel.***

(Breathing from your diaphragm)... If you have a hard time with this place your hand on your stomach and practice breathing until your stomach is pushing on your hand with your breath.

Breathe slow, deep, and steady, in nose to the count of 5 (or what is comfortable for you).
    Hold for the count of 5 (or what is comfortable for you).
    Exhale out the mouth for the count of 5 (breathing from diaphragm).
    (this releases any negative energy that is pent up).
    Repeat 5 times or until you feel as if there is a soft breeze around you.

Breathe slow, deep, and steady, in nose to the count of 5 (or what is comfortable for you).
    Hold for the count of 5 (or what is comfortable for you).
    Exhale out the nose for the count of 5 (breathing from diaphragm).
    Repeat 5 times period.
    REPEAT CYCLE 3 TIMES.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great! It burns lots of calories - and quickly makes up for any overspend in eating. I used to worry about appearing anywhere in a swimsuit. However I'm certainly not out-of-place at our local pool and don't feel noticed for any of the wrong reasons. When they are in the water or huddled in towels about the sides of the pool, it is hard to see what sort of figures other people have, but I have gathered that quite a number of us are in bouncy-beach-ball sort of shape. We float much better than the thin (I like to think of them as 'dense') ones. At 'compare your sporting ailment' moments, I have no swimming injuries to boast of.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Neshama-Yogaesque

(Beginning, intermediate, and advanced.) I am not a teacher...I am unable to do yoga myself, it just doesn't work for me I am too uncoordinated. I however knew I needed something. So I prayed. This is what was given to me. Honor your body and only do what it wants to do for flexibility.

Beginning-
    With bottoms of feet touching each other palms of hands facing up resting on knees.

Breathe in through nose count of 5
    And raise right arm up over your head one side with back of hand facing left.

Hold breath for a count of 5 raising other arm, same as other side touching backs of hands.

Turn palms of hands and place them together exhaling slowly through mouth bringing hands down slowly in a praying position with elbows level to wrist. Hands heart level.

Now left arm. Repeat cycle 6 times total rotating right arm then left arm.
    Sitting on the ground…
    Cup feet first right hand then left. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, bringing body down gently and allow body to fall where it wants naturally do not force this.
    Steady breaths in nose out nose.
    Breathing 5 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x
    Can start with 3 times a week and only do what is comfortable. If you cannot hold your breath for count of 5, do only what is comfortable for you even if it is a count of 1 or 2. You will get there. If your body can only handle 1 or 2 times a week honor your body's needs. Try to increase weekly. Again, if you can’t increase weekly, increase every two weeks. Take your time this is not a contest. Not to exceed twice a day.

Intermediate-
    With bottoms of feet touching each other palms of hands facing up resting on knees.

Breathe in through nose count of 7

Hold breath for a count of 7 raising other arm, same as other side touching backs of hands.

Turn palms of hands and place them together exhaling slowly through mouth bringing hands down slowly in a praying position with elbows level to wrist. Hands heart level.

Sitting on the ground…
    Spread legs to a comfortable distance apart. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, bringing body down gently and allow body to fall where it wants over the right leg.
    Breathing 7 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x
    Bring feet together.
    Cup feet first right hand then left. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, bringing body down gently and allow body to fall where it wants naturally do not force this.
    Do this 5x
    Spread legs to a comfortable distance apart. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, bringing body down gently and allow body to fall where it wants over the left leg.
    Do this 5x

Can start with 3 times a week and only do what is comfortable. Again take your time this is not a contest. Not to exceed twice a day.

Advanced-

Breathe in through nose count of 10.

Hold breath for a count of 10 raising other arm, same as other side touching backs of hands.

Sitting on the ground…Feet together. Natural straight posture not exaggerated.
    Cup your right foot with your right hand on the right side of your foot. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, gently begin raising your leg as far up as is comfortable. Breathing 10 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x
    Breathing 10 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x
    Spread legs to a comfortable distance apart. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, bringing body down gently and allow body to fall where it wants over the left leg.
    Breathing 10 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x

Bring feet together. Sitting on the ground…Feet together. Natural straight posture not exaggerated.
    Finish- Breathe in through nose count of 10

Hold breath for a count of 10 raising other arm, same as other side touching backs of hands.

Can start with 3 times a week and only do what is comfortable. Again take your time this is not a contest. Not to exceed twice a day.

Advanced-2

Breathe in through nose count of 10.

Sitting on the ground…Feet together. Natural straight posture not exaggerated.
    Cup your right foot with your right hand under your right ankle. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, leg bent gently begin raising your leg up to touch the side of your head as is comfortable. Breathing 10 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x
    Breathing 10 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle. Do this 5x
    Cup your left foot with your left hand under your left ankle. Start breathing in nose slow, deep and steady, leg bent gently begin raising your leg up to touch the side of your head as is comfortable. Breathing 10 complete breathes in nose and out before beginning next cycle.
    Do this 5x

Bring feet together. Sitting on the ground…Feet together. Natural straight posture not exaggerated.
    Finish- Breathe in through nose count of 10

• maxdjax
    Options
    well, waiting for 4th weigh on Monday - really want to be below the 21 stone mark so i have to have lost 2.5lbs this week, fingers crossed! food has been easy but then again ive not made any huge changes apart form calorie counting and portions sizes; february is the start of introducing the foods i dont normally eat so plenty of veg and fruit on my shopping list! going to get a big shop delivered first to stop me being tempted by the aisles!
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of issues with my back because of the size of my chest and have had knee surgeries so even walking on a treadmill killed me. I got over the fat issue and hopped in the pool. I swim for an hour and have no back pains or knee pains. Its awesome! I forgot how amazing swimming is. I see a lot of people do pool walking for rehabing. They literally just walk around the pool like its a track. I think anything involving a pool will help you greatly. I lost 5 lbs in the first 4 days of swimming again.
  • maxdjax
    Options
    i waiting for clearance from my doc to do aqua work - i have a doulbe condition; degenerative disc disease which weakens the spine but i also suffer from prolapsed discs, so they pop in and out when they feel like it. due to the both of these i have to be careful a disc doesnt pop out and i dont realise - when sat down i can usually tell from a tingling feeling but when in water i cant feel it much
    hoping he gives the all clear for small sessions though, even if i have to be accompanied!
    really enjoyed my walk this morning, feel pooped but hoping it takes me below my next stone tomorrow morning at my weigh in - although my scales seem to be playing up - aarrgghhh!!
    im trying to eat my biggest meal at lunch times at a weekend too now as i tend not to do too much activity at night where as during the week it is easier to get motivated to walk as soon as i get home from work

fingers crossed for the weigh in tomorrow morning! 4th one!
  • maxdjax
    Options
    well I didnt have a great week last week - had a few social occasions, and I also took part in a 'raise awareness of homelessness' event on friday night which involved sleeping (or not at all in my case) in a car park which fronted on to the sea and motorway! cold and noisey! got lots of exercise but also ate lots of carbs to keep me going! I actually dont feel too guilty for it either, which is good as in the past I have felt bad and then thought why carry on when I've been naughty!
    Back on it this week though!