Realistically - How much weight could I lose by end of May?

Options
Hi. I'm 5ft 8" and currently weight 216lbs (I know, a lot!!) I'll be turning 40 mid Feb and to celebrate I'm going on a girly holiday at the end of May. I would love to lose 50-60lbs total (possibly a bit more). How much do you think is realistic to lose by the end of May? And roughly how many dress sizes would that be? Would love support, advice, tips etc and will do the same in return. If you are genuine feel free to add me. Thanks. x

Replies

• bghere
    bghere Posts: 42
    Options
    50 pounds in three months would be a bit extreme I would think. Twenty pounds would still be admirable, but way more possible
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Oops. I meant to say I want to lose 50-60lbs in total, but wonder how much off that total I could possibly lose by end of May (18 weeks) . Thanks. x
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    15-20 would be realistic if you eat carefully and exercise. Doctors usually recommend losing 1-2 pounds per week if you are aiming for healthy weight loss.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yeah 50-60 is a lot I've lost almost 40 in about 8 months.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    #1 rule of weight loss Auticus-style -> don't set goals that are near impossible to reach. You will get discouraged and give up.

50 lbs by May is not very realistic unless you are independently wealthy and are spending 3-4 hours a day in the gym with a personal trainer who is also watching what you eat 24/7.

20 lbs is easily attainable. 30 lbs would be pushing it by May but possible, IF you are strict with your diet and working out quite a bit.

Good luck.

EDIT: I also stress that you need to be exercising in conjunction with dieting.
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As they say, 2lbs a week is a good weight to lose - so aim for that!!

Have you had any ideas of what you are going to do to lose the weight? I do a lot of gym classes - Body Combat, Body Attack, Boxercise, Zumba etc - they are all a LOT more fun than just going to the gym!

Tiffani x
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is the best goal.

There are 16 weeks between now and the first of May. That is a great goal.
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A good, healthy goal is to lose about 1 to 2 pounds a week. You could lose more than that at first, but it will eventually level off. So, if you think of it that way, there is a potential to lose at least 15 to 30 pounds by the end of May.
  • MrsHappy
    MrsHappy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Am similar to you in that I am 5ft8, same age & with the same amount of weight to lose. Started last week at 206lbs and my aim is to be down 50lb by September - You are looking at 16 weeks to begining of May so if you aim for 2lb a week which I think is average that's 32lbs - well over 2 stone which would be a great achievement going to hols.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week is the most that is recommended.... so from the middle of Jan to the middle of May is 4 months with 4 weeks each (estimated without looking at the calendar) so that is 16 weeks total. At 2 pounds per week that would be 32 pounds lost by the middle of May.

Disclaimer - depending on how dedicated you are plays a big role in determining how much you lose :wink:

ETA: seems everyone has great anwsers and we all replied at the same time LOL
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Would you rather be thinner for a vacation, or healthier for life? Extreme dieting might do for the holiday, but you'll just be starting over when the vacation is passed..
  • twinmommy508
    Options
    Just shoot for 5 lbs. a month...Make the goals realistic....
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    #1 rule of weight loss Auticus-style -> don't set goals that are near impossible to reach. You will get discouraged and give up.

50 lbs by May is not very realistic unless you are independently wealthy and are spending 3-4 hours a day in the gym with a personal trainer who is also watching what you eat 24/7.

20 lbs is easily attainable. 30 lbs would be pushing it by May but possible, IF you are strict with your diet and working out quite a bit.

Good luck.

EDIT: I also stress that you need to be exercising in conjunction with dieting.

I like weight loss Auticus-style! Very sound advice.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Would you rather be thinner for a vacation, or healthier for life? Extreme dieting might do for the holiday, but you'll just be starting over when the vacation is passed..

Another excellent point!!
  • pjc63
    pjc63 Posts: 1
    Options
    Healthy weight loss rates are 1 to 3 pounds a week . Any more than that, and all you are losing is muscle mass and water. As far as the inches or dress sizes, it fully depends on the types of excercise that you do. If you focus the exercise on the area that you need to make smaller faster, the muscle tone with assist in shrinking that area while you are losing weight. Remember, the weight did not come on fast, so we can't expect it to come off fast. Good luck, and it does not matter where you end up in May, it only matters that you are heading in the right direction. You can do this!
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    As they say, 2lbs a week is a good weight to lose - so aim for that!!

Have you had any ideas of what you are going to do to lose the weight? I do a lot of gym classes - Body Combat, Body Attack, Boxercise, Zumba etc - they are all a LOT more fun than just going to the gym!

Tiffani x

During the week is a bit difficult for me to get to classes etc, although I'm going to start walking more. I do go to Zumba on a Saturday and Bokwa on a Sunday, both are 1 hour class. I love it. they are so much fun. x
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you really push between 30-35lbs.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's 5 months away (the end of May), I think it's a lofty goal... work hard, eat well, sleep and rest enough, and you'll get close and look totally amazing and feel even better! Pick another goal for then too--like maybe a race? A 10k, that'll keep you motivated to keep healthy and the weight'll slide off... I had 30ish pounds to lose this time last year, I started training for a half marathon (already had a running base) and I trained and ran the race May 2nd and was at my goal weight the week before, and I've been there ever since!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    1 - 2 lbs per week @ 5 months would give at most a 40 lbs weight loss. However, my experience is that if the weight leaves quicker at the beginning and slows down after about 2 -3 months. So I would say that if you keep on top of your calories and exercise. You would realistically see a loss of around 30 lbs by the end of May.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    16 - 20lbs would be a good goal and that would be 1lb a week loss. Anymore would be a bonus! :)