Cant lose the last 15. Help

Options
Hi all,

I am 5'9" weighing about 160. My goal is 145. I have lost 30 lbs. so far but I cant seem to break through and lose the last 15. 'Ive been stuck here for months. Any tips? Thanks!

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sounds alot like me. Have you tried increasing your calorie intake?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Without access to the food/excersize diary I can only make assumptions. Typically, increasing calories and adding heavy strength training is the answer.
  • amyluna
    Options
    Increasing calorie intake? Oh yeah? Ive been trying to decrease my caloric intake...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Increasing calorie intake? Oh yeah? Ive been trying to decrease my caloric intake...

i know, that seems like the thing to do, eat less, right? however, as you get closer to your goal, you should be increasing your calorie intake. at about 15lbs to go, you should be at 1lb lose per week, or even 0.5lbs loss per week.

also, strength training if you aren't doing it already.
  • Manda_H
    Manda_H Posts: 80
    Options
    I agree with others, eat a little more and increase strength training
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

i know, that seems like the thing to do, eat less, right? however, as you get closer to your goal, you should be increasing your calorie intake. at about 15lbs to go, you should be at 1lb lose per week, or even 0.5lbs loss per week.

yup, set your goal to .5 pound per week and hit the weights.
    I eat 1800 a day.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am 5'9" weighing about 160. My goal is 145. I have lost 30 lbs. so far but I cant seem to break through and lose the last 15. 'Ive been stuck here for months. Any tips? Thanks!

I agree with the others,try increasing your calories, Adding strength training and mixing up your cardio workouts will help.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Same mindset here....go against everything in my brain....eat more to lose. Im getting it though.........slowly.....but getting it. I figure if I am the one stuck and someone successful tells me to eat more, I ought to listen. Good luck!! Im with ya!! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

yup, set your goal to .5 pound per week and hit the weights.
    I eat 1800 a day.

i said it yesterday and i'll say it today: LOOK HOW HOT SHE LOOKS!!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    "Eat more to loose" isn't always good advice.

"Try altering your intake a little" is much better - quite often a small change kick starts your metabolism - say +/- 100 Calories. This is partly going to depend on how aggressive your current targets are and how you are feeling in yourself. I started off with a 2lb per week target and I was feeling tired all the time - I reduced this 1lb (i.e. more calories) a week and instantly had more energy, which I then used at the gym... and I dint eat back all my exercise calories (normally 50% back then)

On the other hand, if you have a 1lb a week target you might boost this to 1.5lb a week (less calories) - again this could get you past your plateau.

You could also try changing your exercise routing (if heavily weights/toning based, try more CV - if heavily CV, try more weights and toning) - if nothing - get out there and do some!!!! seriously - 1hr CV will be 800-1000 calories - you gotta eat most of them back but only over the whole week - think how many little slip ups that covers! Plus in the long run its better for you.

Good luck :)
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Let us know how it goes! I am in a similar situation where I have just increased my calories and although it's hard to get a grasp of mentally, I am curious to see if it works. I will be fine with maintaining my current weight, but am worried that I'll gain!