New Years Resolution! Semi-Vegatarian to Vegan

Options
I'm so excited!!! The New Year means more life-changing decisions and challenges.

My New Years Resolution:

I am currently:

SEMI-VEGETARIAN:
The term semi-vegetarian is usually used to describe someone who is a vegetarian who consumes dairy products, eggs, chicken, and fish, but does not consume other animal flesh. (Currently the only animal stuff I eat are tuna, chicken and milk. I've been using them as protein sources. But now I've found new protein sources such as Boca Burger, soy burgers, tofu and awesome protein shakes.)

So .... my goal by June:

LACTO-VEGETARIAN:
Lacto-vegetarian is a term used to describe someone who would be a vegan if they did not consume milk.

And then, possibly, if I still feel the need:

VEGAN:
Vegan is the strictest sub-category of vegetarians. Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. Some go as far as not even consuming honey and yeast. Others do not wear any clothing made from animal products.

I'm not real obsessive about it and I'm just looking to feel better and live healthier so ... the Vegan diet may not be something I feel the need to do. It's just there in case I still feel the need to make more changes.

Happy New Year, people!

What are your NY Resolutions?

Replies

• Psychomasokism
    Psychomasokism Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm already vegetarian, and I don't purchase anything with animal products as far as I am aware. So MAIN goals for this year are to:

a.) Become mostly vegan. Educate myself on animal products and byproducts. and

b.) Completely stop consuming anything containing any type of dairy. It's hard on my friends and family so I've made it a point to start slow to get them used to it. They don't really get why I'd want to cut out chocolate, cookies, pizza or ice cream. :ohwell:
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Vegan -- Vegans not only abstain from eating meat, meat byproducts, dairy and eggs, they do not eat animal products of any kind. For example, they do not eat honey.

Ovo-lacto vegetarian -- Literal translation is "egg-milk vegetarian." This is what most people think of when they think of vegetarians; they do not eat meat or meat byproducts, but they do eat animal products such as dairy, honey and eggs.

Lacto-vegetarians -- Do not eat eggs but do eat dairy products (many Hindus are lacto-vegetarians).

Ovo-vegetarians -- Do not eat dairy products but do eat eggs.

Pescatarian -- Literal translation is "fish eater." Pescatarians include fish and other seafood in their diet, but not other meats. This is often a stepping-stone to full vegetarianism, but can also simply be a way of eating a more healthy diet by giving up red meats.

Fruitarians -- Do not eat any plant product that involves killing the plant; they mostly eat fruit and nuts.

None of the Above (NOTA) -- For folks who feel they don't quite fit into any of the above categories. Some people also use the word "flexitarian

Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm already vegetarian, and I don't purchase anything with animal products as far as I am aware. So MAIN goals for this year are to:

a.) Become mostly vegan. Educate myself on animal products and byproducts. and

b.) Completely stop consuming anything containing any type of dairy. It's hard on my friends and family so I've made it a point to start slow to get them used to it. They don't really get why I'd want to cut out chocolate, cookies, pizza or ice cream. :ohwell:

Cool.

I'm thinking about Veganism myself. I'll just have to switch from non=fat milk to soy milk. That's doable, but I have to have a "first goal" of becoming "lacto-vegitarian" ... then I'll work on the vegan diet.

Good luck to you. Keep us up to date!

Darla
  • darla499
    Options

Fruitarians -- Do not eat any plant product that involves killing the plant; they mostly eat fruit and nuts.

None of the Above (NOTA) -- For folks who feel they don't quite fit into any of the above categories. Some people also use the word "flexitarian

Good Luck to you :flowerforyou:

Thanks!

I was a fruitarian for about a year and a half when I was 19. It was a phase :wink:

I like the NOTA!!! Never heard of that one ... flexitarian!

Take care.

Darla
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can do this!

I eat a mostly vegan diet. There are a lot of groups on here and a lot of blogs out there that are really helpful. I have learned all sorts of new recipes and have created a number of my own. I actually just posted my 105 calorie (with 14g of protein) seitan sausage recipe. It was so good I had some for breakfast and lunch lol.
  • Mimimaus
    Options
    hi there

i was just about to start a topic on this when i saw this one :)

i have been an ovo lacto vegetarian since i was about 8 yrs old (now 25). every once in a while id stop eating eggs because it disgusts me but i have never been disciplined enough to completely cut it out (so id eat pancakes, pastries, etc. made with egg).

ive decided to slowly cut out all animal products out of my foods and will start with egg and cheese.

cheese will be hard since i use it for almost everything i cook :-/

please add me if u are on the same journey so we can support each other, exchange recipies, etc. ;) thx
  • darla499
    Options
    hi there

i was just about to start a topic on this when i saw this one :)

i have been an ovo lacto vegetarian since i was about 8 yrs old (now 25). every once in a while id stop eating eggs because it disgusts me but i have never been disciplined enough to completely cut it out (so id eat pancakes, pastries, etc. made with egg).

ive decided to slowly cut out all animal products out of my foods and will start with egg and cheese.

cheese will be hard since i use it for almost everything i cook :-/

please add me if u are on the same journey so we can support each other, exchange recipies, etc. ;) thx

Cool!

You're added :smile:
  • sunshinegirlnm
    sunshinegirlnm Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at this: http://pcrm.org/kickstarthome/
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread!!!! I've been a vegetarian for 15.5 years but I was the unhealthy type. I've been an herbivor (I can't spell sorry lol) since the end of last year sometime. It's not easy! (I eat honey that's why I'm not a vegan yet)

First off, most cheeses contain rennet, which is not vegetarian since it comes from the stomach of a cow! Also, cheese contains stuff to make you addicted to it! I don't even remember what real cheese tastes like anymore! The best fake cheese that's vegan that I've had is by Daiya and I think it's sooooooooooo good! A lot of fake cheeses taste like cardboard. You also have to watch out because some say they are lactose free but still contain other dairy products!

Secondly, just because you're a vegan DOES NOT mean you can't have desserts--maybe not at a restaurant but you can have them! There are sooooo many recipes online for cakes, pies, candies, fudge, cupcakes, muffins, etc that are all vegan! Instead of using eggs in a recipe, you can use ground flaxseed with water or banana as a substitute! There's also a vegan egg replacement out there!
    As far as chocolate goes, there's vegan chocolate chips sold in some grocery stores like Whole Foods and Stop and Shop! I use the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips because there's no dairy in them! I also found some white chocolate chips that are vegan from amazon.com and they're soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!

Please feel free to add me or send me a message if you have any questions! Good luck! You can do it!!! :)
  • darla499
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread!!!! I've been a vegetarian for 15.5 years but I was the unhealthy type. I've been an herbivor (I can't spell sorry lol) since the end of last year sometime. It's not easy! (I eat honey that's why I'm not a vegan yet)

First off, most cheeses contain rennet, which is not vegetarian since it comes from the stomach of a cow! Also, cheese contains stuff to make you addicted to it! I don't even remember what real cheese tastes like anymore! The best fake cheese that's vegan that I've had is by Daiya and I think it's sooooooooooo good! A lot of fake cheeses taste like cardboard. You also have to watch out because some say they are lactose free but still contain other dairy products!

Secondly, just because you're a vegan DOES NOT mean you can't have desserts--maybe not at a restaurant but you can have them! There are sooooo many recipes online for cakes, pies, candies, fudge, cupcakes, muffins, etc that are all vegan! Instead of using eggs in a recipe, you can use ground flaxseed with water or banana as a substitute! There's also a vegan egg replacement out there!
    As far as chocolate goes, there's vegan chocolate chips sold in some grocery stores like Whole Foods and Stop and Shop! I use the Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips because there's no dairy in them! I also found some white chocolate chips that are vegan from amazon.com and they're soooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!

Please feel free to add me or send me a message if you have any questions! Good luck! You can do it!!! :)

It's so nice to "meet" you. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

I'm so interested in learning more about this.

I've now cut out the chicken entirely. But I'm still doing tuna, milk and yogurt.

Tuna will be no problem to cut out ... but the milk and yogurt, especially the yogurt, are going to be more of a challenge.

Any vegan yogurts out there?

Thanks.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There are soy and coconut milk yogurts. Unless I need a plain yogurt for a recipe, I don't eat them myself. I've been vegan for two years and feel WONDERFUL!

As a general rule, I do not eat "fake meat" although I do occasionally (like once every couple of months) have a meal with a Field Roast product - their Italian "sausage" is very good! I have tried Daiya cheese and didn't like it at all. I prefer to just not eat cheese (real or fake) altogether. I have tried my hand at making a cashew "goat cheese" and although I don't think it was quite perfect and has room for improvement, it was actually quite good and I will be doing it again. I've never been very keen on processed foods and fake cheeses and most meat substitutes just don't jive to me. I'd rather eat whole foods - beans, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I do love tofu, but limit it to about once a week.
  • darla499
    Options
    There are soy and coconut milk yogurts. Unless I need a plain yogurt for a recipe, I don't eat them myself. I've been vegan for two years and feel WONDERFUL!

As a general rule, I do not eat "fake meat" although I do occasionally (like once every couple of months) have a meal with a Field Roast product - their Italian "sausage" is very good! I have tried Daiya cheese and didn't like it at all. I prefer to just not eat cheese (real or fake) altogether. I have tried my hand at making a cashew "goat cheese" and although I don't think it was quite perfect and has room for improvement, it was actually quite good and I will be doing it again. I've never been very keen on processed foods and fake cheeses and most meat substitutes just don't jive to me. I'd rather eat whole foods - beans, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I do love tofu, but limit it to about once a week.

Thank you for that. I actually "googled" the vegan yogurts yesterday and found the ones that you mentioned. There's none of those in our grocery stores so I'm going to look for them in a health food store. I may just give up yogurt if it's too expensive. As you mentioned, there are several other protein sources.

Thanks again!

Darla
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Moving to a plant-based diet is my New Year Resolution too. I have a feeling I will end up being a selective omnivore as my reason for the switch was medical-related, rather than philosophical. Since January 1st, I haven't had any meat, fish, dairy or eggs. I'm amazed how much energy I have compared to when I was eating low-carb.

Please feel free to add me and I will certainly be adding some of you in this thread. :smile:
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    oh that daiya! i hear you. it's been my treat food. and it's also one of those things that helps me with the "i'm craving a pizza, buuuut..." i order from a take-n-bake, sometimes even let them deliver, add my daiya, and bake. then i overeat, or spend the evening trying not to. ugh. (and yes, ask about how pizza joints make their crust. some places add eggs. and when they tell you they do, thank them SO MUCH for knowing their product!)
  • darla499
    Options
    oh that daiya! i hear you. it's been my treat food. and it's also one of those things that helps me with the "i'm craving a pizza, buuuut..." i order from a take-n-bake, sometimes even let them deliver, add my daiya, and bake. then i overeat, or spend the evening trying not to. ugh. (and yes, ask about how pizza joints make their crust. some places add eggs. and when they tell you they do, thank them SO MUCH for knowing their product!)

What is daiya?
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Great resolution - well done. I eat mostly vegan (Sometimes lapse when eating out due to lack of choice) and it's soooo good for you. Check out fatfreevegan.com, happyherbivore.com, theppk.com and I'd recommend the cook book Appetite for Reduction!
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    While I can't say I share your commitment to become a defined "vegetarian," part of my New Years plan is to simply focus on eating more vegetables and fish. I'm cutting out red meat (never really a big fan of it, anyway) and limiting my chicken (again, not my fave food anyway - except wings lol.) I have some health issues that need the healthy oils and proteins, and I love dairy and fish, so I don't think I'd ever become a full on vegetarian or vegan, but some of the principles are helping me along so far. :) Good luck in your journey! You can do it!