I went a little overboard...

Options
To start on a positive note, I lost 2.7 pounds this weigh-in, which is great.

However, today I also had my birthday party. I started off with snap peas and hummus and all was well. I had water instead of lemonade and all was well. I had two slices of pizza and a piece of birthday cake. Not great, but hey it's my birthday party, right? And all the guests are gone by nine o'clock.

It's been a couple hours since dinner, and there's a lot of leftover pizza. 'Just one slice,' I think. But then I can't decide: should I go for veggie or cheese? They both looks so good. "Oh, I'll have both. They are small pieces after all.' Now I feel guilty, but the birthday cake is also calling to me. 'One slice can't hurt, right?' I go for it.

Okay,so I'm finished. Now I"ll go ride the exercise bike. But I don't because I'm tired, and I'd rather read my book anyway. 11 o'clock rolls around and this time I don't really think it through, I just go for it. One more piece of veggie pizza and one more piece of cake. I enter the evening's spoils into my food diary:

Calories remaining: -2,000

Crap. Well, in the past I've taken days like this as an excuse to eat too much for the rest of the week, but I intend to break that habit right now. So, does anyone have tips for moving on from eating 2,000 calories too many? I don't want to do anything too radical, but I feel like I should at least do a little to try and compensate. Also feel free to share your own stories of going overboard.

Replies

• cassiejo84
    cassiejo84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My birthday was Friday, January 6th. I went way over, but I just sucked it up and got back on track. I thought about restricting calories for a few days to make up for it, but I'm afraid it will lead to a binge. Happy birthday!
  • themurph8910
    Options
    Pack up the left overs and send it home with your friends...and only take one peice and cake for left over for the next day and send the rest with friends...That is what I would do.
  • BirdyWebster
    Options
    Last night I avoided a binge. I remember my goal and why I can't. Generally thinking of how that binge can ruin my success helps. Think of how you've come so far, you don't need all the calories right now. Tomorrow, you could have another slice, but you don't need it all right now.
  • gibbsterp08
    Options
    I think the main thing is letting yesterdays mistakes be todays motivators. We all make mistakes. I tend to track my calories as I go (when I can...I don't have an iphone to use the app so I'm stuck with the computer), on Saturday I thought I had several hundred left over because I had done some extra excerise but low and behold when I got to the end of the day I had forgotten to add a smoothie and went over my calories by a meal. I too often use this as an excuse but now I use it to remind me that I worked hard and drinking my calories isn't worth it. Yesterday I was just more aware of my calories, knowing that it takes one decision to put me over my calories. I do try to enjoy being out with friends etc, but just in a new way. It is all about finding that balance.
  • mboice916
    mboice916 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Let it go! Don't let ONE day ruin your motivation - everyone has their bad days and you'll probably think twice next time you in the same situation, reflecting on how you feel now. Get back on the horse and let yesterday be yesterday!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Yep, let it go. Consider it a maintenance day - a day where you lost no significant weight but gained no significant weight either - after all 2000 extra cals is barely more than 0.5lbs.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I work with a weekly calorie goal instead of daily - works way better for me :) I eat back my exercise calories so if I have a bad day I can make it up with lots of exercise and a bit less food if needed. If you have an iPhone the MFP app shows a bar chart for weekly calories which is very handy.
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My weekend was rough too, but this is a lifestyle change! We take each day as it comes, and try to make good choices more times than not! Your birthday is one day a year...today is a new day! Pick up the pieces, love yourself anyway...and make good choices today, because your beautiful, and you deserve to be good to yourself! Nurture your body, give it the care it deserves...give it energy from healthy things...and feel better at the end of the day knowing you were good to you! Be blessed this week!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I went over by 500 yesterday because of birthday party. I'll start again today but feel like crap, not because I went over but because my stomach is killing me. Not use to eating so bad.
    Lots of water today for sure.
  • sherriyoung
    sherriyoung Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over board on the weekends. But I have a set schedule during the week and can stay under my calories. I usually balances out a bit. If I know what my meals are going to be for the day (ie, tonight we are having fish and my lunch is the same every day) I will enter those things in first thing in the morning. Then I know what I have left for the day. It works pretty well for me. I snack less knowing I only have so many calories left in my day. :) Good luck. It's really hard if you are used to eating (like I am).
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    well you are definately not alone! saturday night i think i went over my cals by more than 2000 :( paid for it this weigh in day with a gain of 2lbs. that'll teach me!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    As a reward, plan a long bike ride, a hike, bobsledding or some other 3-4 hour activity for the weekend. You managed to bank some extra energy for it, so treat yourself to some active fun!