**Questions about Weigh loss **

Options
I was wondering what you do that is working in your weight loss. What kind of life style did you change? Are you eating a certain amount of calories? Specific diet plan? Working out daily?

Also its my 3rd time back on MFP and I was curious how I should start back at the gym.. should I go straight cardio? Mix it up with cardio and strength training machines??? Ive heard different things and wasnt sure what was best. I am looking to lost about 80 lbs.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Years ago (decades actually) I made the switch to a healthy diet (low saturated fat, no trans fat, whole grains, plenty of vegetables). But I love to eat so if I don't exercise I gain weight. That is the change I made to lose the 25 lbs I've lost. I recommitted to exercising regularly.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Your gym might offer you an induction where you can ask them things like this and they can show you which machines are best, I know mine does. (:
  • Tanyawhite30
    Options
    Hi :) Ive started a no processed food lifestyle..Its been working great for me so far. Down 7.4 pounds in my first week. I have also cut all alchool out of my diet and try to workout 5 times of week. My workouts are usually 30 minutes of cardio followed with 30 minutes of circuit trainning...Feel free to add me and I would be happy to trade tips with you :)
  • justme84x
    Options
    hey hey! as of september 30 2011 I decided enough was enough and after all the trying and failing over the past decade + it was MY time!! so I just started small...I cut out all the fast food and switched from coca cola to carbonated flavored water. If i'm hungry i eat... if not...i dont! I started off walking on the treadmill at my local gym and whew! I thought I was gonna die!! but a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step so I kept going and it got a lot easier!! also i would suggest light weight lifting from the start as well. muscle burns more calories plus...they're just sexy!! In just over my 3 months on my new life journey i have lost 50 pounds and couldn't have asked for more!! i have energy i'm more positive i have found the smile that I lost so many years ago.....I wish you the best of luck!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've started by trying to eat between 1300 and 1500 calories a day (my goal for losing 1 pound a week is 1800) and I am not eating my exercise calories back (before anyone says anything let me clarify - I am not eating my exercise calories back yet). I have also started exercising - I basically am doing cardio now 4-5 days & 1 day of weights. Again - let me clarify - I am so out of shape that doing cardio is building my muscles (trust me I feel the soreness). As I work out more and get healthier and hit plateaus I will add in more weight training and at times have to eat my workout calories back in order to revamp or trick my body into losing weight again. Listen to your body and how you feel - that will be your best indication. Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • TerriKim
    Options
    First off, welcome back and good luck!! Exercise daily. DAILY. Mix up your cardio and strength training. Don't get in a rut with a certain kind of workout. Do all kinds of cardio so that your body doesn't get bored. Watch your calories. Limit your eating late in the evening. Have fun!!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You've got some good suggestions here about everything, especially food. I've heard that a combination of cardio and strength training is best if possible. Good luck!
  • kscarlett24
    kscarlett24 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi. I think you have to do a combination of things. You need to change the way you eat, but also how you think about food. It's really hard, and a slow process, especially if you love to eat like I do. Don't think of it as a diet, but as a new way to eat that will be with you forever. Regarding the gym, cardio is going to be your best friend to burn calories and shed pounds, BUT weight training is also extremely important so that you stay firm as you lose and not get soft. Plus, muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you have the more fat you burn in general. I decided last year that I needed a goal for fitness, not just weight loss, and decided I was going to run a 5k. I used the Couch to 5K running plan (a lot of people on this site use that) and started last April and ran my first 5k in June. I also weight trained with a trainer twice a week, which helped me build up my upper body and core strength. I love having a trainer and still go twice a week to her, while running at least 3 days per week. My next goal is a 10k. So try having a fitness goal to keep you motivated and moving forward at the gym. If you don't like running, set goals for yourself on the elliptical, like you are going to get to level 10 for 30 minutes, or something like that. Or try classes like kickboxing or Zumba, where the more you go you learn routines and get better and better at it. You can do it!
  • BwnEyedWifey
    BwnEyedWifey Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for some very good advice and tips.... :):):)