Lo-Cal Cocktails?

Options
jawolfe
jawolfe Posts: 64 Member
Well it's Memorial Day and the kick-off to the summer. I'd like to say that I will avoid cocktails this weekend, but I just know that that is not true and I'd rather go into the wkd and the activities prepared. Anyone out there have some good options they like? Of course there is always low cal beer...but that's not really my thing. I like to use Diet 7-UP, Diet Sprite or Crystal Lite as mixers...they are perfect. The trouble is that when I go out to restaurants or bars to hear music, they never carry those options, everyone only has Diet colas. Does anyone have any favorites? I just don't want to go into the wkd and sabotage myself. Thanks and have a great holiday wkd!

Replies

• porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    When my girlfriend goes to a bar, she buys a bottle of water, takes her crystal light orange packet and also buys a shot of vodka..............I thought it was a fab idea.

I typically just get bacardi and diet or bud light. I did mix some left over vodka from bloodymarys with Crystal Light Green Tea Raspberry and it was delicious.
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    Vanilla vodka & diet coke is supposed to be good.

If you're making it yourself, check out this Margarita Recipe from HG:

Berry Nice!
    Happy Cinco de Mayo! We've whipped up a whole new FREEZE-TASTIC margarita recipe just for you, so we hope you're ready to party. Humans, start your blenders...

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup Sprite Zero (or any diet lemon-lime soda)
    One shot (1.5 oz.) tequila
    One serving (half a packet or 1/8th of a tub) sugar-free strawberry powdered drink mix (any variety, like Crystal Light Strawberry-Kiwi or Energy Wild Strawberry)
    4 frozen unsweetened strawberries
    2 tbsp. lime juice
    1 cup crushed ice or 5 - 8 ice cubes
    Optional Garnish: lime wedge

Directions:
    Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until uniform and slushy.
    Pour into a nice glass and, if you like, garnish with a wedge of lime.
    Drink up!

MAKES 1 SERVING
    Serving Size: 1 margarita (entire recipe)
    Calories: 125
    Fat: 0g
    Sodium: 24mg
    Carbs: 7g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 2g
    Protein: 0g

POINTS® value 2*

HG Alternative! If you're under 21 (or just dance funny when you're tipsy), try this virgin version -- simply swap the tequila for an extra 1/4 cup of the soda. That liquor-less slushfest clocks in with only around 28 calories and a POINTS® value of 0*.
  • kendallalissa
    kendallalissa Posts: 249
    Options
    What a great post just before the holiday weekend! I've got the same dilemma. For me, at the bars, it'll be diet (whatever flavor) and Rum. When making my own at a BBQ, I go for pretty much the same mixers as you do...I love flavored Vodka - especially peach and raspberry! Thanks for the Crystal Lite idea! So you do that in place of diet Soda?? :smile:

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Anyone ever try vodka and club soda with a crystal light packet? I just thought of it as I was reading the posts. Wonder if it would be any good? :smile:
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This is an AWESOME Pina Colada. You might have trouble finding Sugar Free Torani, so I stock up when I locate it. Try Bev Mo or Cost Plus.

Low Cal Pina Colada
    1 oz. light rum
    1.5 oz. Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup
    1/4 cup Breyer's Double Churn Fat Free Ice Cream, Creamy Vanilla
    1 tbsp. crushed pineapple in its own juice
    3/4 cup crushed ice
    1 packet Splenda (or another no-calorie sweetener)

Directions:
    Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds. Pour into a cute cocktail glass. Then share this recipe with everyone you know!

Serving Size: 1 recipe/ Calories: 126/ Fat: 0g
    Sodium: 41mg/ Carbs: 13g/ Fiber: 1.5g
    Sugars: 8g/ Protein: 1.5g
    *2 WW Points!
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have definitely mixed vodka with just crystal light...the lemonade and the orange flavors both tasted good to me.

You could also add a splash of diet ginger ale or diet sprite for a little extra fizz in there!

Enjoy!
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a newer crystal light cranapple that is good with the vodka or rum in my opinion. Also, Ocean Spray has their own sugar free "tubs" like crystal light and that would be perfect to make a big batch of pre-mixed drinks or sangria! yum!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Somebody read my mind. I just posted on another thread today about my Margarita alternative. Compared to the one above, we will just have to call it a

"Quick & Dirty LoCal Margarita Wannabe"

Use reduced calorie lemonade--I am partial to Cascade Ice ( a regional brand in Pac NW) and mix w/tequila. I would guess Crystal Light Lemonade would work ok. Or the "Light" version of Minute Maid Lemonade in cans. They have a Light Mango, also that would do well with gin or vodka.

:drinker: As to the bar dilemma.--here is my answer: Vodka and soda with a lemon or a lime. EVERY bar has soda water and the lemon or lime ads just the right touch. :drinker: Since it is not real sweet, you don't guzzle them, which saves on jail time :laugh: :laugh: (Relax, I am kidding) and saves on calories consumed too.

Another thought occured to me. I haven't use Crystal Light in while, but they used to have an iced tea flavor, and I think with some rum and maybe splash of Amaretto, you could make a palatable Long Island Iced Tea....Has anyone ever tried it?

I hope everyone has a good holiday, and a special salute to those who have lost loved ones in the military or have anyone deployed right now.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I like my Berry White's

hull out a strawberry
    fill with vanilla vodka
    eat it.
    yum.
  • csw5048
    csw5048 Posts: 26
    Options
    Coke Zero + Whiskey

There was a English Soccer (Football) manager (low level league) who changed his diet from ale to this and lost something like 100 pounds in the course of a year and this was the only change he made in his diet- he already ran a good deal.